Generic glueless interlocking flooring question

Hi all, I am about to install a wood flooring- the glueless/nail-less kind that just interlocks together and had a couple questions. One room has vinyl squares over a standard concrete slab and the other is a carpeted over a slab. For the vinyl room: should I pull the vinyl up first (which is easy enough to do- some of the squares just pop up with a little pry). A guy at the store said to leave them down as the vinyl will serve as a moisture barrier, and you can put the self-leveling glop right on it and then the underlayment on top of that. For the carpeted room: it was just painted and if I pull the baseboards off, in addition to the extra labor doing so and putting them back it will no doubt require some cosmetic repair renailing, repainting, etc. I was wondering if I can just go around the perimeter as close as possible to the baseboards with a carpet knife cutting the carpet. In other words, leave a little strip of carpet directly under the baseboards. Then when I put the wood flooring in I can cover the interface of the flooring board and the little carpet under the baseboard with quarter round. Would sure save alot of labor. Or is the space under the baseboards needed for expansion or something ?

Thanks for any advice, Bob

Reply to
bobcarwell

Personally, I would remove the vinyl. The foam underlayment serves a moisture barrier. Will this flooring transition into both rooms?

Pull back a corner of the carpet and see if is actually installed "under" the baseboards. Might just be tucked in at the tackless strip.

When you remove the carpet, double check for tack nails still in the slab.

Leaving the baseboards on you can use quarter round.

Reply to
Oren

I might be missing something...why would you need to remove the baseboards to remove the carpet?

If the carpet is under the baseboard, it will pull right out as soon as you remove the carpet from the tack strip which should be about .5" to 1" from the baseboard. The carpet should just be stuffed under the baseboard, unless it's just butted up against it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03