Generators, run on nat. gas....

example:

Generac definitely makes different quality similar rated versions. Given the description this may have been the home depot version with a short warranty.

According to this a 3 year limited warranty is their best:

George

Same here. I think the issue is that gasoline packs considerable more energy than nat gas. So, not surprised that there could be a 20% loss.

Reply to
trader4

What brand/type of unit do they use?

The NG Generacs claim 62, 63 db -- which is pretty quiet, but I don't know exactly how quiet that is -- an idling car, an idling car + 500 rpm??

Also, I was thinking of keeping mine inside, as the gas line and breaker panels are close by, and venting the exhaust outside.

Good/bad idear? It would solve the theft problem, f'sure. Mebbe put an inline duct fan to generate some suction, to make sure ALL the exhaust is exhausted.

Reply to
Existential Angst

example:

On the engine - what kind of bearings?plain, roller, ball etc. Lubrication- Full pressure lub with filter/without filter or splash lubricated. Iron cyl, iron liner, silicone aluminum, or aluminum.

Those are just a few of the BIG differences between CHEAP and GOOD.

Automatic low oil cutoff? Not only yes or no - but quality and reliability of the switch. Some work every time, some work sometimes, some never work, and some shut the engine down even when the oil level is totally up to snuff.

Camshaft - plastic or metal??? nd quality of. With OHV engines, quality of engine rocker arms and other valve train parts.

Then there is the generator head. Quality of insulation, quality of assembly - soldering etc - and copper or aluminum windings.And quality of control electronics. Amount of air gap, brush or brushless design, etc.

Always SOMEWHERE an unscrupulous manufacturer can cut corners to reduce the cost by another couple of cents and reduce the lifespan by another couple of hours.

Reply to
clare

Propane and CNG, being "dry gasses" are much easier on the engine - and if the engine is DESIGNED for, say, PROPANE, and propane only - with compression ratios etc adjusted to take advantage of the higher octane (115AKI) a propane engine can make just as much power as a gasoline engine. Takes more fuel to do the same job though.

Reply to
clare

example:

I agree, keep the transfer manual.

If you have a main disconnect switch or breaker, it's actually sort of a no-brainer to safely hook up a generator -- Can literally just add two 30 A breakers to the panel, and feed to the whole house from there. Just make sure the main disconnect is off when running the generator.

A diesel generator, 70 db, 20 A at 240 V. Weight??

My Generac link I think was 62 db, 25 A at 240 V, $1700, nat. gas. Weighs

250#.
Reply to
Existential Angst

"Existential Angst" wrote in news:4ec17a80$0$28396$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

exhaust outside close to the building can infiltrate back inside. that's why it's recommended to site your generator well away from your house.

to avoid theft,you could put the generator on a 2nd floor patio or roof. that is what some people are doing with their air conditioning units,to avoid copper thieves.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Existential Angst" wrote in news:4ec195ac$0$32254$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

not legal,I'm sure,and it doesn't consider emergency personnel or others who don't know your unsafe arrangment.

Do it right.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Which, if installed inside, would suggest a strong duct fan -- mebbe strong enough to blow the exhaust over to my neighbor.... LOL

Oh, apropos of another inneresting post on generator quality, cutting corners, the whole db thing is esp. subject to scamming, as HOW you measure db's is critical -- from 1 ft away or 100 ft away, etc. Don't know if there is a standard, and even if there is, who knows who is adhering to it....

Mebbe an outside shed, with an alarm...

Reply to
Existential Angst

On 11/14/2011 5:26 PM, Existential Angst wrote: (snip)

Time for this thread again already? Yes, your solution works, but it is a bad idea, and probably illegal in many places. Sure, you know which way to throw the switches, but what if you are injured/dead/out of town, and somebody else fires it up, trying to be helpful? Unless there is a mechanical interlock that won't let the backfeed breakers be turned on unless main breaker is turned off, you have to potential for killing linemen or neighbors with that wire on pole or ground you just energized. Not as bad as the all-too-common suicide cords, but still way too risky. The correct solution is simply not that expensive.

Reply to
aemeijers

Outside you can clearly hear it start up (it cranks up once a week and runs for a few minutes automatically just to keep everything lubed up and let it be known if there is a probley). Inside if you're in a room on that side of the house and it's really quite you can hear it. It's not what I'd call an obtrusive noise level.

You really need to talk the building inspector about that but my suspicion is that he'll tell you you can't do it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

An engine will put out at least 3-4x the heat as useful work (20-25% efficient). 1kWh ~ 3400BTU, so figure 10,000-15,000 BTU/hour per kW generated.

Reply to
krw

Maybe you need a new refrigerator?

The generators around here are loud enough to be annoying over night. From your comment, I imagine there are quieter ones..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I know, I was in it and my power was out for a time. It was not all that cold that you'd need the heat on 14 hours a day. It warmed up nicely on Monday.

If there was a spell of temperatures below 20 all day, you may need more, but not this past storm. At that point, you put all your refrigerated items outside to keep them so power is less critical.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sure, if all you're doing is heating a house and cooling food. I have a business to run and a sump to pump, and it would be nice to be able to do so without having to deal with gas cans. ===================================================

Gamers also need power 24/7. 'course, one big car battery should suffice for a while.... for a small gamer, at any rate. :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

Anywhere outside of Earthshake regions, MTBF of resi gas is in decades.

Reply to
David Lesher

There are several places I found:

Reply to
David Lesher

I'd bet that includes virtually all the USA.

Sure, you know which

An Interlockit kit is the cheap, easy and IMO best solution. It's essentially a sliding bar, available for most panels, that prevents the breaker going to the generator and the main breaker from being on at the same time.

Reply to
trader4

Nah, gamers need to move out of mommy's basement and get a life.

Reply to
krw

Not likely, as that implies getting a job.

Reply to
Existential Angst