Generators Revisited

Page 2 of 4
I'm not sure about start current. Most of the refrig I've measured, run about 4 to 5 amps, under load. Defrost can be 3 to 6 amps, been a while since I measured one.

Likely be 3-6 times normal current. Normal current should be 1.5- 2.5 amps. Defrost mode is what consumes higher steady current, and the compressor is off.
Greg

I measured with killowatt. I thought they drew more, like 6 amps. Even my old 70's fridge is only about 2.5 amps. My newer 90's will draw 12-13 amps on defrost, or 1500 watts. Killowatt will also measure true power.
Greg

THANKS!!
--
Best regards
Han

Inrush current is ferocious, but lasts for much less than a second. Circuit breakers don't trip anywhere near that fast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current

I am looking at real world scenarios, i.e. would generator "X" supply the required current to "start" my fridge? Without damage to either, obviously. So, if there is a 30 Amp current for 1 nanosec, that probably wouldn't mean anything, would it?
--
Best regards
Han

I understand that you're asking real world questions. You do need to size a generator for inrush expectations, which last longer than a nanosecond. Your fridge will not start if you don't.
However, you don't need to start everything you have at the same time, nor run everything at the same time. You can watch TV in the dark, and unplug the fridge while you use the microwave:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-power-management

Thanks for the confirmation! That would be using what is nowadays a rare commodity, common sense. But I'm old enough to consider that SOP!
--
Best regards
Han

The starting surge lasts long enough to spin up the motor, so it's a lot longer than a nsec, more like a second. Yes, the electronics in the generator cares.

OK, then I have to have more leeway ... Good to know.
--
Best regards
Han

The generator is capable of handling a startup current that lasts for a second or two that exceeds it's regular continuous rated capacity. Exactly how much should be in the spec sheets.
On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 05:35:26 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

The amount of data that's in spec sheets is generally proportional to the price tag. HF? Not much.

Furnace is natural gas, hot water circulator drawing 0.76 Amp. Thermostat etc shouldn't draw much, I think.
Microwave is 900 watt, but it is a convection oven as well GE model 1490
Your help is appreciated!
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/2/2012 4:23 PM, Han wrote:

Most of the Generac units I installed in homes some years ago were 8,000 watt natural gas powered automatic standby generators and it was enough to power what you are referring to. Of course I installed as large as 40kw for some customers but my favorite Generac was the 10kw 4cyl liquid cooled engine unit that ran at 1,800rpm which made it very quiet and long lasting. ^_^
TDD

Well, I've lived here almost 14 years, and things have gotten worse. In the last 2 years we've had 3 outages of around 48 hours each. We did fine through those, but it wasn't too cold during those. Our hot water heater is natural gas only, no electric power required. Stove top the same. But we are over 65, and I am not looking forward to a bad storm with real cold weather. Hence the questions.
--
Best regards
Han

When we lived in Vermont, the backup heat was a wood stove in the living room. The permanent solution was to move South, though. ;-)
On 10/3/2012 7:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I doubt my aching joints would allow me live in a Northern climate. O_o
TDD
I guess it's good that the USA includes some temperate lattitudes?

I doubt my aching joints would allow me live in a Northern climate. O_o
TDD
On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 20:30:33 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Me either. I'm certainly not going back! I'll visit the kid in the summer (July 4, from 3:00-4:00PM).
Seriously, my knees and feet are 90% better since I moved to the South. Insteaad of many weeks each year of severe pain (several days unable to walk) I have a couple of days a year of bearable pain.

Oops, I forgot to say that automatic standby generators with the installation costs involved are a bit too much luxury for us.
--
Best regards
Han

Those are nice styles, Onans, in partic. Too bad car makers don't make a "generator option", of some sort. The Chevy Volt would appear to be ready made for this... talk about quiet!
--
EA