Generators Revisited

Page 1 of 4
There's been a lot of talk of generators and how to store gasoline for them which got me to thinking of the conversions I've done for customers who wished to run them on NG or LP gas. I would buy the kits from the small engine and parts supplier and the installation was pretty straight forward. Today I came across a Generac unit that is LP ready and has a built in carrier for a 20lb propane tank. It appears to be a slick little system with none of the problems from stale gasoline gumming up a genset that sits for too long. ^_^
http://www.generac.com/Portables/LP_Series/Products/LP3250 /
TDD
Now, that looks like a good idea. Anyone have an idea how much it costs? I didn't find the MSRP on that page.
The list the questions, but not the answers.
Is this generator safe for sensitive equipment? i.e. laptop, or flat screen tv? 1 answer
Where is the LP3250 generator manufactured? 1 answer
Power output? 1 answer
Need a parts break down document 1 answer
I like what is shown, Is a 8-10KW in the future? 1 answer
Can the LP model be converted to NG? 1 answer
Will this generator run a 11/2hp well pump w/450 ft of #10 wire drawing 13.6 amps? 1 answer
What is the [price of the LP3250 and where can I see one in the Venioce, Fl area 1 answer
Can this generator safely power a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)used for a computer? 1 answer
Cold weather 1 answer
Would be much easier if they listed the Q and A on the same page, instead of having people mouse around and get one tidbit of information at at time. Overall, that web page is not helpful.
There's been a lot of talk of generators and how to store gasoline for them which got me to thinking of the conversions I've done for customers who wished to run them on NG or LP gas. I would buy the kits from the small engine and parts supplier and the installation was pretty straight forward. Today I came across a Generac unit that is LP ready and has a built in carrier for a 20lb propane tank. It appears to be a slick little system with none of the problems from stale gasoline gumming up a genset that sits for too long. ^_^
http://www.generac.com/Portables/LP_Series/Products/LP3250 /
TDD
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 21:45:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

You have to do some clicking and the answer will be below. There is some ambiguity though, about sensitive equipment. They say yes, then they say the harmonic distortion is greater than 5%, so no.

Yes. All Generac portable generators have a track record of safely powering a variety of tools and appliances, including electronics.

The LP3250 is manufactured to our specifications by a partner overseas.

no
UPS systems typically require total harmonic distortion to be below 5% - the total harmonic distortion for the LP Series portable units will be above 5%. If you are looking for a unit with a cleaner power output, we would recommend considering either our XP Series gasoline powered units or our automatic home standby generators. However, you should also check the requirements of the UPS system for any additional specifications.

Comes up on the same page for me after you click the question.
Too much like work. I like things simple.

Comes up on the same page for me after you click the question.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In reality, there isn't much built in the last decade or so that actually qualifies as "sensitive equipment". Pretty much everything uses switch-mode power supplies these days and they are wide input range and not sensitive to a bit of distortion.
wrote in message
<stuff snipped>

see;
Costco
To see the face of the creep who smashed in your car window to steal $1 in change is worth a lot of money to some, particularly if it's a neighbor. More importantly the cameras act as a deterrent just by being there. If you've got an old SATA drive lying around you can get a decent unit for $100. Really. I was amazed because this stuff used to cost thousands but the boards inside kept getting smaller and smaller and now a CCTV recorder just depends on a few big chips.

w/
I used to do that, but these dedicated boxes run linux and do their one job remarkably well. Most recorders use PC SATA drives so you can repurpose older disks and use them til they wear out. Look at Google for Zmodo four camera systems. I am very happy with mine for the price.

I don't use wireless cameras for that very reason. Unless you use the high powered gear like law enforcement uses, you're going to get a sub-optimal picture that can be wiped out by a microwave oven. I started with wireless but they all sit in a box now because wired is so much better, picture wise.

homes.
when
Could be time to trot, bwana. (-: Seriously, though, a lot of things are happening that also happened just before the Civil War in terms of societal polarization.
Have you checked Craig's list to see if anyone's selling a generator just like yours? I read about someone who found his stolen motorcycle that way. I wonder what percent of items for sale on Craig's list are hot?
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 04:25:11 -0400, "Robert Green"

There is an easier and cheaper way. Don't lock your car. I've had my car broken into twice over the last many years. The only loss is a quart of oil in the back seat. Other cars parked near me that were locked, had broken windows, pry marks etc.
If a thief wants your car, it is gone. The pro can get around locks and alarms in seconds, the amateur will cause a lot of damage.

That was my theory when I was a student years ago in Boston. I had a fiat 124 Spyder, which was a convertible. I figured if I locked it, they would just cut the roof or do other damage to open it. I outfitted it with an alarm and left it unlocked. And it worked. The alarm went off a few times, but they gave up and didn't get anything.
On 9/30/2012 8:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did you read the spec sheet which is a PDF file with a link at the bottom left of the page? O_o
TDD
Didn't even see that.
Did you read the spec sheet which is a PDF file with a link at the bottom left of the page? O_o
TDD

At about $600 for the generator, you can buy a bigger one and a separate conversion kit for less and be able to run either NG, LP or gasoline More flexibility for the same price.

I am looking for a generator like that. Do you have any specific suggestions? Please?
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/1/2012 3:55 PM, Han wrote:

What power output are you looking for? Or, what do you wish to run at the same time? ^_^
TDD

Furnace, microwave, fridge, laptops. I guess the fridge is the largest thing, a 10 year-old GE, the tag says it draws 6.5Amp.
Thanks!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/2/2012 1:34 PM, Han wrote:

Han, depending on the wattage, the microwave may draw more current. The furnace will have a label showing what the blower motor pulls. For a 1/2 HP 115 volt blower motor, the current draw could be 6.5 to 8.5 amps. It's best to check it out before getting a generator that's too small. ^_^
TDD
Also good idea, to do actual current draw, using ammeter.

Han, depending on the wattage, the microwave may draw more current. The furnace will have a label showing what the blower motor pulls. For a 1/2 HP 115 volt blower motor, the current draw could be 6.5 to 8.5 amps. It's best to check it out before getting a generator that's too small. ^_^
TDD

<snip>
Good idea, Christopher, but I don't have an ammeter. If I add up all the watts and amps and multiply by 2, I think I should be covered, right? 30 amps then should cover it?
--
Best regards
Han

Invest in a Kill-a-Watt. They're quite handy to have around and well worth the $20 or so. Generators aren't really rated in watts, rather volt-amps, so you should measure the amps. Multiplying by two probably won't cover starting current for big motors, so make sure you keep that in mind.

I've got a Kill-a-Watt, but haven't really used it. Time to start that. It scares me that starting current for a fridge would be more than twice nominal current. I have to look what kind of circuit breaker the fridge is on. How long would the peak startup amps be required, since the circuit breaker doesn't blow.
--
Best regards
Han

Likely be 3-6 times normal current. Normal current should be 1.5- 2.5 amps. Defrost mode is what consumes higher steady current, and the compressor is off.
Greg