Generators and Electronic Furnace Controllers

Page 2 of 2

Were these wired with two wires from the generator to the furnace or three?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Rick Brandt wrote:

If you don't mind modifying the furnace controller, I'd try running the power to it through a quality line filter (not conditioner and not just surge suppresser) and locating the DC power supply on the controller and piggybacking a larger filter cap. By keeping out line noise and providing better ripple control on the DC power you might be able to convince it that the generator is ok.
Pete C.
Circuit board off the UPS and blower off the generator? You'd have to do some serious wiring, to make sure the two powers don't meet.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Who said anything about a UPS or separating power? I didn't say that. I said to run all the power through a quality filter block (~$20 surplus) and to add an additional filter cap to the controllers DC supply. The filter keeping out spikes and hash and the extra cap reducing ripple should make the controller happier with generator power. Void the controller warranty of course.
Pete C.
Generators produce "nasty" electricity. Ok for lights and motors, but not "clean" enough for anything electronic like a TV, computer, or anything which has an electronic controller like your furnace.
So place a power line conditioner or your UPS (many have a power line conditioner built in) between the generator and your electronic devices.
I connect my generator to my UPS when the power goes out and the UPS screams like a stuck pig (due to poor quality electricity), but everything electronic runs fine.
Rick Brandt posted for all of us...

220 - 221 whatever it takes...