Generator wiring options

Page 1 of 3

I am picking up a 5000w cont. / 6500w surge generator which should be more than enough for my needs. I want to keep the refrigerator, 240v water pump, the oil boiler circualtors, and a few lights at at time running. Practically the whole house has the CF lights so my lighting is about 1/4 normal. My max surge is 4000w and running is 2400w.
My home's 100A power panel is spread out pretty well where each room has its own 15A breaker which makes my transfer switch wiring a problem. Most of the switches seem to come with one 240 breaker (for my well) and 4 - 15A circuits (1 for Kitchen for fridge and 1 for heating). This leaves 2 rooms for lighting which is the most miniscule part of my needs.
Rather than wiring up individual circuits is it possible to get a transfer switch that transfers the entire power to the generator line?
Years ago, I studied the various catalogs, and did some division on their numbers. I came up with a galon of gas provides 4,000 watts for one hour. Think that's what I ended up.
As such, plan to feed your generator a galon an hour.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

In real life you don't run things at full load. My 5500watts Briggs and Stratton with a 7 gallon lasts 13 hours at 1/2 load. [and in practice that seems to be about what it gets.]
The Honda should do better as it regulates engine speed.
Jim
bob haller wrote:

Certainly. Chances are, if a lineman IS killed, you didn't know him. So, ask yourself the next time you're standing in the long line at the movie or restaurant....
HeyBub wrote:

Do you really have no disregard for human life?
My guess is that you are a bored housewife who posts lots of nonsense looking for attention...
Question:
Let's say a person tries to backfeed a generator into a home (without the proper xfer switch) that has *not* been isolated from the grid by tripping the Main breaker of the home. The generator is now feeding back into the grid to all the rest of the homes on the grid and trying to power all of their electrical loads.
What happens to that 5 or 6 kW generator? How soon will it happen?
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

In theory, a breaker trips on the generator. How fast? Well, depends if it's a Federal Pacific Electric breaker on the generator.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ball park? < 1sec?, < 1min?, <1hour?
And before the breaker on the generator trips, the 5kW gen is trying to feed several hundred kW on the grid. ISTM that the gen would stop dead even if the gen breaker didn't pop.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Most brands: Under 1/10 second. Federal Pacific Electric: Well over 5 years before it trips.
With no breaker, my WAG is that either a secondary wire on the generator overheats and burns out, or the motor slows to stall point. Either of those in two to ten seconds. Easily enough time to kill a pole worker.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

a) it'll be out of phase and very unlikely at all to not stall it immediately; the overload is later
b) it was postulated the line was _already_ live; the gen-set in this case wouldn't be the culprit (altho still both illegal and stupid trick to pull).
Back-feed to distribution system is a serious problem when the line is _supposed_to_be_ disconnected (and has been by the utility or known damage) so the presence of voltage is unexpected. If they know they're working on stuff live then they won't work as if they were working on a (known) disconnected line. Where it's really a problem (and got one of our local co-op linemen a few years ago) is a situation such as a disconnected line, actually confirm it was isolated and talk to the farmstead owner who subsequently got impatient and hooked up the gen-set while they were still working w/o notifying them... :(
Moral of story as homeowner is--don't be an ass or dumbshit...
I've heard they are supposed to use ground straps on "known to be dead" lines. Figuring if someone charges the line, it should trip off the breaker immediately.
That farmer story reminds me of the day I was standing on a chair in a woman's dining room. We'd identified the breaker (I'll stomp on the floor when you get the right one). I'm on the second floor, the breakers in the cellar. She sarted out of the room I called after her "Debbie, where are you going?" "You look like you're almost through, so I'm gong to to turn on the power again." I gave her a few stern words.
She was both of those terms. A dry alcoholic, she played a stiff game of getting herself in trouble, so others could rescue her.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Caesar Romano wrote:

Thats your cherry picked scenario. What about a typical place where someone would have a generator such as my friend who lives in the woods and the next customer is a half mile down the road. If the primary should fall somewhere after the customer next to him and he were to do a half ass connection of his generator and backfeed the power line the transformer serving his house will step it up to a lethal 7.2 kv and keep it energized.
Moral of the story. You can't possibly foresee every condition. Thats why we develop methods such as interlocking and isolation.

That's hardly a cherry picked scenario. Most neigborhoods have many homes on the same circuit off the transformer. Accidentally backfeeding pops the generator circuit breakers immediately. Well before the tranformer secondaries can ramp up any. The lone house in the country is more like a cherry picked scenario.
jamesgangnc wrote:

A friend of mine works for The Sister Mary Elephant TV network in Irondale and when we had a freak snow storm in 93, Alabama Power sent a crew via helicopter to disconnect the lines going to the TV transmitters and satellite uplink facilities which had full power backup via huge generators. I suppose that was something to be a bit paranoid about for the power company.
TDD
[snip]

Of course, perfection isn't...
This web page is by far the best I've seen online for home transfer panel information.
http://members.rennlist.org/warren/generator.html
Wish he wouldn't use the top 8 inches or so of web page to complain about bad hookups. Just tell the right way, and explain why each part of the right way is right.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
wrote Re Re: Generator wiring options:

I like the way you think.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

I'm sure that will be a great comfort to the widows, and attorneys for the power company.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I am unexcelled at "comforting" widows.
As for the attorneys, can you say "contributory negligence?"