Generator wiring options

I am picking up a 5000w cont. / 6500w surge generator which should be more than enough for my needs. I want to keep the refrigerator, 240v water pump, the oil boiler circualtors, and a few lights at at time running. Practically the whole house has the CF lights so my lighting is about 1/4 normal. My max surge is 4000w and running is 2400w.

My home's 100A power panel is spread out pretty well where each room has its own 15A breaker which makes my transfer switch wiring a problem. Most of the switches seem to come with one 240 breaker (for my well) and 4 - 15A circuits (1 for Kitchen for fridge and 1 for heating). This leaves 2 rooms for lighting which is the most miniscule part of my needs.

Rather than wiring up individual circuits is it possible to get a transfer switch that transfers the entire power to the generator line?

Reply to
Jordan

Years ago, I studied the various catalogs, and did some division on their numbers. I came up with a galon of gas provides 4,000 watts for one hour. Think that's what I ended up.

As such, plan to feed your generator a galon an hour.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In real life you don't run things at full load. My 5500watts Briggs and Stratton with a 7 gallon lasts 13 hours at 1/2 load. [and in practice that seems to be about what it gets.]

The Honda should do better as it regulates engine speed.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Certainly. Chances are, if a lineman IS killed, you didn't know him. So, ask yourself the next time you're standing in the long line at the movie or restaurant....

Reply to
HeyBub
[snip]

Of course, perfection isn't...

Reply to
Gary H

This web page is by far the best I've seen online for home transfer panel information.

Jim Grollmuss

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:31:31 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote Re Re: Generator wiring options:

I like the way you think.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I'm sure that will be a great comfort to the widows, and attorneys for the power company.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was helping a freind of mine do some wiring in his trailer. We were about to cut a branch circuit in the bedroom. I suggested turning off the power. He thought he had. Turns out the panel didn't have main breaker, and he'd only turned off the power to the water heater.

Plumber came to do some work on my water heater, in a rented shop. I suggested we turn off the power. He looked surprised. He had flipped a switch next the the WH. The only thing he did was turn off the heat tape for the pipes over head. I know, I'm the guy who put that switch on.

Hey, do what you want with the transfer swich. The two stories above are real life, I was there and saw both of them happen. Are you 100 % sure that you, relatives, and anyone using your equipment will open the main? Do they know which one is the main?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If they are that stupid what are they doing screwing with it.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I am unexcelled at "comforting" widows.

As for the attorneys, can you say "contributory negligence?"

Reply to
HeyBub

If the two chaps you chronicled are not snappy enough to actually TEST for voltage before they lay hands on the wire, they are, perhaps, candidates for a lineman's job that so many worry about.

As for the odd person knowing which circuit breaker is which, they're labeled. And not with some strange acronym like "WH" that stands for "Heat Tape." That said, and as you so ably point out, absolute reliance on a properly-labeled circuit breaker is also a source of disaster.

Reply to
HeyBub

"It's dark in here. And cold. I saw him do it once. Here, it's like this.... bring that candle closer so I can see to fill the gasoline.......I know the gascan and generator are in the cellar here some where."

Shall I give you some more narrative?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you really have no disregard for human life?

My guess is that you are a bored housewife who posts lots of nonsense looking for attention...

Reply to
George

Unfortunately not everyone leads *your* life. They may live with others, children may be involved, visitors may be involved, there can be emergency situations, people get sick or tired or even incapacitated etc. Thats why standard safety practices were devised.

Reply to
George

Linemen work 16 - 18 hurs for many days when storms strike, often in nasty weather.

give them a break and do the job RIGHT, its not that expensive and a positive at home resale time

Reply to
bob haller

Question:

Let's say a person tries to backfeed a generator into a home (without the proper xfer switch) that has *not* been isolated from the grid by tripping the Main breaker of the home. The generator is now feeding back into the grid to all the rest of the homes on the grid and trying to power all of their electrical loads.

What happens to that 5 or 6 kW generator? How soon will it happen?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Wish he wouldn't use the top 8 inches or so of web page to complain about bad hookups. Just tell the right way, and explain why each part of the right way is right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In theory, a breaker trips on the generator. How fast? Well, depends if it's a Federal Pacific Electric breaker on the generator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:59:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote Re Re: Generator wiring options:

Ball park? < 1sec?, < 1min?,

Reply to
Caesar Romano