Generator Size Based On Average Kilowatts

Page 4 of 4
That only leaves the party of "the rich didn't pay their fair share (as defined by us)".

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:59:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon

The "arty of the rich" *IS* the Democratic Party.
Which makes the whole situation more ironic. Have you noticed that our Muslim in Chief and his party tend to loudly campaign against the very things they actively promote?

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 07:21:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Certainly. The only ones who miss the reality/message disconnect are the ones who have already partaken in the Kool-Aid.

no one has thought to ask where you live, what your climate is like, how much you are willing to spend and the cost of propane. it's possible, but you'd have to check, that in your area, you could run your proposed set-up during peak demand times and sell the excess to your utility, which might lower the over-all cost to you
On 8/26/2013 6:28 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

If you can find a used propane/natural gas 15kw Onan air cooled 4 cylinder genset and transfer switch, you would have a genset that could power your home. I installed a number of used units that were salvaged from grocery stores and installed them in other grocery stores. The supplier was a company that salvaged the equipment from closed restaurants, grocery and retail stores. I installed a used 40kw Kohler genset at a fellow's home that was purchased from the salvage company. The genset had a 4cyl Ford liquid cooled engine and me and an electrical engineer I had worked with overseas installed it. I got my late friend GB to build a doghouse matching the exterior of the home to house the genset effectively disguising it. I really like the Onan air cooled gensets because even used, the darn things kept running year after year with very little trouble. All they needed was an oil/filter change, air filter service and spark plugs. ^_^
https://tinyurl.com/mhp7q25
TDD
I think others tripped on a few ideas. Change the greenhouse to propane vented wall heater. What is the heat source for your house? If you already use propane for heat, that is provided in bigger tanks, and I think the propane is a bit less expensive.
Do you live some where that AC is needed? Window units or central AC in your house?
On 8/26/2013 7:28 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

when the power fails. I went through the electric bills for the last twelve months and found that we used an average of 54.9 kilowatt hours per day or about 2.3 per hour. Quite a bit, but we have a well with pump and my wife keeps the greenhouse warm all winter with an electric heater.

refrigerators, etc., but it would be nice not to have to run out in the rain to start and fuel it during an outage.

oven or dryer during outages. That would be almost 5 times the average usage, which should give coverage for start-up peaks.

Hey snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com why do you keep spamming alt(dot)home(dot)repair? I must tell you snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com that it's s so rude for you snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com to do that snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com so snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com you should really cut it out snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. ^_^
[...]
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:46:41 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Unfortunately, the home is heated with oil. I was thinking of getting a die sel powered generator to run off the fuel oil tank but I don't know if such things are available for residential applications. I'll have to put in a 2 50-gallon propane tank if I get the generator.
We're in Maryland so we need AC in the summer. It's an old farmhouse so we have window units that we turn on or off as needed.
remember the larger the generator the bigger the fuel consumption even with no load.....
in a true emergency you dont need to run everything/
just run everything thats essential
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:20:16 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

I'd also consider a propane powered portable generator with a panel mounted lockout switch and inlet. That can be had for a fraction of the cost of the installation of one of the whole house standby units. And if it fails, you just buy another generator and it's replaced with no muss, no fuss. Has the advantage of being portable, for possible other uses too. There are kits available to convert many of the gasoline ones to nat gas, propane or even tri-fuel, so it can take any of the three.
Oh, an if you're considering Generac, I'd go to Amazon and similar and look at all the horrific customer experiences with their whole house units.
For sizing, I'd say it has little to do with the average monthly bill and a lot to do with adding up the loads that you want to run at the same time. A 10KW load that has to be run for 10 mins is a lot different than a 1KW load that runs for 100mins.
I'm thinking of getting a propane-powered whole-house backup generator with the automatic switch on when the power fails. I went through the electric bills for the last twelve months and found that we used an average of 54.9 kilowatt hours per day or about 2.3 per hour. Quite a bit, but we have a well with pump and my wife keeps the greenhouse warm all winter with an electric heater.
I have a little gas-powered generator rated at 6,500 watts that I use to power the pump, boiler, refrigerators, etc., but it would be nice not to have to run out in the rain to start and fuel it during an outage.
I've read that an 11,000 watt unit should be enough to power a house, and we wouldn't be using the electric oven or dryer during outages. That would be almost 5 times the average usage, which should give coverage for start-up peaks.
Does anyone have any official formulas for this sort of thing?
Paul
{{{{
The determination is a bit of a black art but for a good ball park idea check some of the off grid news groups and blogs. (you can trust but best to verify independently what you're told)
First identify the mission critical requirements. Then the start and run requirements. With that you can guesstimate the require size of the gen set. Rotory gen sets have ~ 30% surge capacity, inverter gen set system less or not at all.
Also if you're careful and a bit anal retentive you can balance the start/run loads and do more with a smaller gen set. As example a well pump can be run and shut off when the reserve tank is full or left off if you don't need running water except for select times of the day (cooking washing as example).
This can be done with a pencil, paper and a clock or with an automated system (as a function of how much you want to spend).
Depending on the local circumstances you might benifit from salavging the waste heat for your wife's green house.
My kids have a 10KW (mil surpluses) with a 3K battery (salvaged from communications towers) backed dc to ac inverter. Duel fuel NG with a 250 G LP back up.
They can run, depending on load, the innverter for 3+ hours before a recharge. This to reduce the need for running the gen set or starving the neighbors. Works great for the microwave, TV/internet and the fridge.
We have provided the neighbors within safe range of a HD extension cord power (enough to run, in cycles, the fridge, window unit (this is N. Texas) TV/internet and a few lights) Key benefit, aside from being neighborly, this has cut the complaints about the gen set noise to zero.
The neighborhood posse sets up BBQ grills in the street in front of the house (we provide trouble lights) with tables/benches pulled from the back yards so we have a community cook out in the evenings. But not a power outage single event as this happen at various times of the year just for fun