Generator Size Based On Average Kilowatts

You really like to lie, Trader. I said semiconductors in general are in freefall, not just highly integrated semiconductors. Not all components are. Some a *highly* specialized so are at a premium. Each class of semiconductors is certainly dropping in price constantly.

You're an idiot, Trader. I've been in the business for 40 years.

*EVERYTHING* is cheaper.

Absurd.

COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

You may continue with your lies, now.

Reply to
krw

**********Snip The Argument**********

Things actually kind of flip/flop. I worked in and owned a couple of radio/TV shops (remember them?) and a funny thing happened with TV's and the introduction of new technologies. I recall a horizontal output tube costing $5.00 and a horizontal output transistor costing $25.00 then a period of time passed and prices flipped. It's been many years since I tried to purchase any vacuum tubes but I'll bet they're quite expensive these days. I remember the TV sets that weighed a ton because of the big power transformer power supplies then a design change had the solid state horizontal output section becoming the switching power supply for all the electronics in the set. I can't forget the hybrids with a solid state chassis except for the horizontal output tube. It finally got to where the only vacuum tube was the CRT, now that's gone. I used to get rebuilt 25" replacement picture tubes for repairing TV's all the time. In the late 1970's I attended a seminar put on by RCA for the local electronic repair shops where RCA demonstrated the new technology in their TV sets. It was an all solid state chassis and the fellow from RCA blew our minds when he turned the line voltage down to 80vac and the set still had a clear picture which shrank in a bit on the sides. It was a demonstration of the low voltage tolerance and power regulation of their new TV sets. Most electronic circuit boards still had discrete components including IC chips that were soldered through holes in the boards making replacement of parts quite easy then those darned surface mount circuit boards showed up making things harder to repair but less expensive and often more reliable. I remember being able to repair PC motherboards which had through the hole components that were easy to replace. Darn, there aren't that many radio/TV repair shops left today. There seems to be a cell phone shop on every corner now but most of the consumer electronic devices are pretty much disposable today. I still don't have my flying car dammit! O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The old man looked at his wife and said, "This is all your fault. If it weren't for your bran muffins, I could have been here 10 years ago!"

Reply to
1+1=3

Here are your exact words:

"The cost of all electronics is in free-fall. ...not just $/transistor. "

Notice the words "all electronics" and "free-fall".

Which is what I told you about 6 posts ago.

Some a *highly* specialized so are at a premium. Each

That isn't true either. There are common, mature semiconductors, that are still being used today, that aren't dropping in price constantly because there is no way to decrease the cost. You can still buy an 8031 microcontroller, for example. It's the most popular microcontroller in the world. It's been used in everything from cars to business phones. They hit ~$1 more than a decade ago. Again, the driving trend where you get steep "free-fall" price drop curves is due to Moore's Law and while that applies to chips where you can continue to shrink the feature size, reduce the die size, it doesn't apply to mature ICs like the 8031. Hasn't for a long, long time. 7400 type logic is still used, diodes, discrete transistors, common op amps, you think the price of those are in a "free-fall"?

Again, note the claim that the "bottom is dropping out". Which of course now you're trying to weasel away from.

The fact is that it's

And now you're back to making the original claim again. Boy are you confused. And as always, when you've lost an argument, you start with the name calling.

Still waiting for an explanation of if all electronics is in a "free-fall", why is the most common of all power control semiconductor applications, the electronic SCR based light dimmer, still $15? It was $15 in the 80's. It's still $15 today. Not what I'd call a "free fall". Why is an 8051 microcontroller or a 7400 series chip the same price it was 10 years ago?

And how in the hell could you expect a generator to include an inverter, when a 6KW inverter sells for about the same as a basic 6KW generator to begin with? That shows how in touch you are. Yes, the price of most power semiconductors has come down in price. But they aren't in a "free-fall", not declining anywhere near the rate of semiconductors like memory or CPUs. That's because the latter two benefit greatly from Moore's Law. It's what's driving the steep price decreases. Power semiconductors have benefitted from new advances that have contributed to price decreases over the years, but they can't benefit from the "free-fall" you see due to Moore's Law. And it takes more than just power semiconductors to build an inverter.

Reply to
trader4

On a single component level, when technologies change, sure things can get upside down. At the system level, it's all one way. Monotonically.

As others have noted, TVs (monitors) are now throw-away. I don't see that as a bad thing.

That just shows you what the profit margins are on the service (there is no money in the hardware).

My car doesn't fold up into my briefcase, either.

Reply to
krw

Three hundred thousand dollars:

One hundred thousand dollars:

Wes Groleau

I couldn't afford the fuel much less the dang car! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's my position even if it were a $25 thousand

I could offer you a

or a

but you have already posted that your condition is not conducive to such.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Cute but there is no room to install a ladder rack. O_o

Darn, if I was younger and still making crazy money overseas. ^_^

That is so cool. I saw a an electric copter that had what looked like 6 or 8 electric motors and props that a fellow sat in the center of and he was able to fly it. I think he was part of a German group of electric copter experimenters. ^_^

My visiting nurse yells at me for getting out and working with JH on telecom service and installations but I explained to her that I CAN'T sit on my butt because I'll hurt so much worse. She's worried about my weight loss and that I have no appetite but I'm intentionally not stuffing myself when I eat and the weight is coming off. Getting thinner helps my heart and my joints. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Per Wes Groleau:

The "vision" version looks like it has the glide path of the average cement block.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Does it come with a fez?

Reply to