Generator question....portable

Page 3 of 3

While we are on the topic.. does anyone have expreience with the generators that are actually DC units with electronic inverters to make AC. That seems like a good idea but I wonder about the surge capability. A regular generator can handle a very large surge load due to it's mechanical interia is used to over come the mechnical interia of the motor it is trying to start. But a gen with an inverter may trip on overload when trying to start a motor. Anybody have experience with this?
Mark
In article

Yes. My Honda EU2000i handles start-up surge just fine.
--
:)
JR

My 6 circuit Generac has 2 amp meters, one for each leg, you are supposed to wire the apliance loads to balance it as best you can, and monitor it through the amp meters so you can visualy see if you are operating it safely. Im sure expensive multi circuit units are better, but this is a safe way to do it. It is so you dont try to run everything off one leg of the unit, and burn it up.

Am I the only one that sees problems with this? Like with a normal generator bought as a unit, isn't there a better governor mechanism that keeps the speed more constant as opposed to what you will get with a bolt together approach?

Am I the only one that sees problems with this approach? Like doesn't a normal generator unit have a more precise governor mechanism to keep the speed/freq constant? And won't a 16HP engine use a hell of a lot more gas than an engine correctly sized for a 5500 watt generator?
On Apr 1, 8:10am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You are right the govenor wont keep a steady rpm when loading and unloading he is going to have big swings that can damage things, cheap gens often go from 125 to 100 under full load, my generac keeps it near to 2 v with electronics and Honda EUs do maybe 1v
"ransley" wrote

Interesting! I wouldnt have thought of that aspect. Still havent got one and our circumstances are not the same (no intent to hook it to the house wiring for example) but I'd assume that above would still be applicable.
I was looking at one with 3 'outlets' but some are smaller and have 2. Could be I'd do better with one that has only 2? We've gone a few times without power for a few days in hurricane season (happens about every other year). So far, never lost the freezer load. We keep it's empty spaces filled with frozen water bottles (at least, we do that when a storm approaches). If you dont open it much, it stays frozen for 3 days easy. The one time we needed longer, Ice bags did the trick.
Rich wrote:

I've got an 11 HP McCulloch 5100 Watt from Wallmart (FG5700AK), runs my fridge, freezer, gas furnace, most of my lights are on it(CFL's throughout the house), with plenty of power to spare. Bought it for less than $500. I installed a transfer panel kit from Home Depot which ran me $200. This thing starts 1st time every time. The Transfer panel had a defective breaker which tripped well below its rating and wouldnt ever reset. I called the mfgr, Connecticut Electric (which is not in Connecticut BTW, its just down the road in Puyallup WA - go figure...) and they sent me a replacement breaker free of charge. Very nice outfit to talk to on the phone. Back to the generator: I also bought 2 1500 watt electric heaters ($15 each) Each heater has 3 power settings and at the hi setting actually draws a little over 1600 watts. Once a month (or sometimes 2 months) I wheel the generator out of the garage and fire it up for 30 minutes, the 2 heaters provide a good exercise load. Also, I have Stabil in the gasoline (I only use Top Tier gas), the oil is Mobil 1 and I always run the carb dry after using or testing it. Next time, when you turn the fuel back on, you have to wait about 30 seconds before trying to start it, pull out the choke, 1 or 2 easy pulls and Bang! off we go. Oh, one more thing, beware of the microwave, they draw a hell of a lot more on start up than they run at, kinda like a motor. Mines not on the transfer switch. We get frequent power outages here in winter, I have 2 dozen D-cells for my flashlights (florescent lanterns), a coleman stove and a couple small screw on bottles of propane for it, plus the bbq tank is full if i need it. Gasoline is a problem in extended outages so I've learned to head into town early in an outage and if the town is still lit, i can get gas till it runs out due to high demand after about 2 days. I'd prefer to have a NG fired generator (unlimited fuel supply due to my NG supplied by pipeline), but i have what i have and adding a tap to the NG line after the meter is going to be tricky due to short exposed pipe and I sure as hell aint gonna do it myself on something like that, we leave that one to the pro's) plus I'd have to install a conversion kit on the generator. So, the generator is full all the time, and i have a 5 gallon can besides and a siphon hose in my emergency box for getting gas out of my car - close enough. It took me 2 separate week long outages in winter (here its typically 30's/40's and rain in winter)to smart'n up and get prepared, now I'm ready and the last big outage went smoothly, furnace running, fridge cold, coleman stove running - we (My wife and daughter and me) had it good, our neighbors were looking for hotels (with genny's) up to 50 miles away and STILL had problems finding one. Eric