Generator Power

I'm looking for options on getting power from a generator in my detached garage to a sump pump in my house basement. The generator is a 4000w 15a unit and all I want to use it for is backup power for the pump. I really don't want to back feed power through the whole house. The basement is unfinished so running a second set of wires/outlet would not be a problem. Simplified, Can I bury some 10/2 through the yard connected to a new outlet in the house and attach a heavy-duty plug on the garage end? Straight-line distance from generator location to house outside wall where pump is located is approx. 40 feet.

-Jason

Reply to
Jason

12/2, even 14/2 will do. Use NMWU (AKA UF). In your garage, install a JB, and wire into that an SO flex to run to the generator, fitted with a regular 15A/120V plug.
Reply to
Gary Tait

generc has a complete 6 circut transfer system for 200 at lowes

Reply to
mark Ransley

I have a perpetual motion machine for sell. email me for detales.

Reply to
mark Randsley
4000w, 15a is 260v? Nah, that can't be right.

Assuming your pump is 120v and you intend on running it off a 20a breaker on the generator, you will need #12 wire.

If you run it off the 120/240 outlet, you need whatever cable is appropriate to the breaker; #10 for 30a.

Sorry, but I don't know the requirement for burying cable. It has been said to be 18" earlier in this newsgroup, but I am just repeating what I read.

Reply to
Wade Lippman