Generator Power

I'm looking for options on getting power from a generator in my detached garage to a sump pump in my house basement. The generator is a 4000w 15a unit and all I want to use it for is backup power for the pump. I really don't want to back feed power through the whole house. The basement is unfinished so running a second set of wires/outlet would not be a problem. Simplified, Can I bury some 10/2 through the yard connected to a new outlet in the house and attach a heavy-duty plug on the garage end? Straight-line distance from generator location to house outside wall where pump is located is approx. 40 feet.
-Jason

12/2, even 14/2 will do. Use NMWU (AKA UF). In your garage, install a JB, and wire into that an SO flex to run to the generator, fitted with a regular 15A/120V plug.
generc has a complete 6 circut transfer system for 200 at lowes
I have a perpetual motion machine for sell. email me for detales.
4000w, 15a is 260v? Nah, that can't be right.
Assuming your pump is 120v and you intend on running it off a 20a breaker on the generator, you will need #12 wire.
If you run it off the 120/240 outlet, you need whatever cable is appropriate to the breaker; #10 for 30a.
Sorry, but I don't know the requirement for burying cable. It has been said to be 18" earlier in this newsgroup, but I am just repeating what I read.