Generator on detached garage

How about a onan generator the runs on prograne or natural gas and it is auto start and transfer and all you do is wait for 30 seconds and the circuits you have wil turn back on and then the generator turns off when the power comes back on...

Reply to
Phillip Devoll

OP said it cost too much:(

Reply to
hallerb

I've got such a switch (six circuit) plus plug and extension cord. Unused. Be glad to sell it for $200.00 (reg $399). I'm in Houston (Sharpstown), so you're welcome to inspect it first.

Full description at:

Jerry (713) 774-4343

Reply to
HeyBub

Personally, I wouldn't install the plug as was mentioned. I would hard-wire it. But if one were to install a plug, you could also slip in an uninteruptable power supply (from a computer store) to keep your system up for a few minutes until you get the generator fired up. It would run a fan, but not a water pump. It would also clean up the power from your generator.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat

If it were me I would get a Honda EU3000is (actually I just bought one). They are very quiet. So noise shouldn't be an issue. Then for placement, I would choose one of these 2 options:

  1. Build a small patio for it, as suggested by Chris Lewis in a previous post, using four 4x4 posts sunk into the ground with cement footings and cover it with a roof. Put the generator on a raised cement pad or build a wooden pallet out of treated lumber to put it on, or
  2. During a power outage place the generator a few inches from an open garage door with the exhaust facing the door. Buy a powerful, new fan and blow the exhaust out the door. Fans last for years and seldom fail and even if it did quit working, it's not going to hurt anything since your garage is detached.

The Honda 3000is (2800W, 120V) doesn't put out as much power as most of us would like to have, but it makes up for it with it's low noise level and fuel economy.

As one anti-theft device (in addition to chaining it up), I've been looking at the "Blackout Buddy". It looks like it has a radio that comes on when the power goes out.

mgkelson

When you do this, please be VERY safe in your operating of the generator.

A friend of mine had one in his garage. I have every reason to believe it was installed in a safe and legal manner because they guy was a licensed architect. One day the power went out and the generator came on (I do not know if it was a manual connection or auto, but it doesn't really matter). It ran overnight and in the middle of the night it died. I don't know the exact reason, but it is assumed it ran out of gas.

He went to refill the tank and restart the generator. There was a fire. I won't say anything else. Please, just be very careful.

Pat.

Reply to
Pat

how can i run a generator in an enclosed room with no ventillation

Reply to
alexander

how can i run a generator in an enclosed room with no ventillation

Reply to
alexander

You can't - without dying

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not so. Just wear a SCUBA tank or the equivilent.

There will have to be a fresh air intake for the engine and a way for the exhaust gas to get out.

When I worked at a hospital we had 2 diesel powered generators and they were in a room that was mostly enclosed. However the ehaust was piped outside and so was the air intake.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In other words, the room was well ventilated. (closed system ventilation, perhaps - but ventilated none-the-less.

Reply to
Clare Snyder
[snip]

And there should be a CO alarm in there, in case of a leak.

Reply to
Sam E

alexander posted for all of us...

Breathe deep, your lungs will filter the CO out and afterwards you won't care... Mop up aisle 7

Reply to
Tekkie®