Generator on detached garage

Page 2 of 2
Mook Johnson wrote:

I've got such a switch (six circuit) plus plug and extension cord. Unused. Be glad to sell it for $200.00 (reg $399). I'm in Houston (Sharpstown), so you're welcome to inspect it first.
Full description at: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docidv380
Jerry (713) 774-4343

auto start and transfer and all you do is wait for 30 seconds and the circuits you have wil turn back on and then the generator turns off when the power comes back on...

OP said it cost too much:(
Personally, I wouldn't install the plug as was mentioned. I would hard-wire it. But if one were to install a plug, you could also slip in an uninteruptable power supply (from a computer store) to keep your system up for a few minutes until you get the generator fired up. It would run a fan, but not a water pump. It would also clean up the power from your generator.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

mook Johnson wrote:

If it were me I would get a Honda EU3000is (actually I just bought one). They are very quiet. So noise shouldn't be an issue. Then for placement, I would choose one of these 2 options:
1. Build a small patio for it, as suggested by Chris Lewis in a previous post, using four 4x4 posts sunk into the ground with cement footings and cover it with a roof. Put the generator on a raised cement pad or build a wooden pallet out of treated lumber to put it on, or
2. During a power outage place the generator a few inches from an open garage door with the exhaust facing the door. Buy a powerful, new fan and blow the exhaust out the door. Fans last for years and seldom fail and even if it did quit working, it's not going to hurt anything since your garage is detached.
The Honda 3000is (2800W, 120V) doesn't put out as much power as most of us would like to have, but it makes up for it with it's low noise level and fuel economy. http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=eu3000is
As one anti-theft device (in addition to chaining it up), I've been looking at the "Blackout Buddy". It looks like it has a radio that comes on when the power goes out. http://www.independentliving.com/prodinfo.asp?numberb8442
mook Johnson wrote:

When you do this, please be VERY safe in your operating of the generator.
A friend of mine had one in his garage. I have every reason to believe it was installed in a safe and legal manner because they guy was a licensed architect. One day the power went out and the generator came on (I do not know if it was a manual connection or auto, but it doesn't really matter). It ran overnight and in the middle of the night it died. I don't know the exact reason, but it is assumed it ran out of gas.
He went to refill the tank and restart the generator. There was a fire. I won't say anything else. Please, just be very careful.
Pat.