Generator Livin'

Really? It's cost effective to be out of something that everyone is clamoring to buy?

I thought the reason to have a store is to sell what people want to buy. Otherwise, you call it a museum.

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

It's cost effective to purchase and store stuff far beyond what is normally sold, taking warehouse and shelf space away from other merchandise that could be sold instead?

The problem is as previously noted -- by the time one finds out there's going to be more than a normal demand, it is almost certainly too late to receive more before the rush short-term demand is over.

If, otoh, you're so prescient as to be able to do things like that, you'd be far better off spending your time at the race track or similar venues.

--

Reply to
dpb

Didn't say that.

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

That's the effect of what you _did_ say, however...

--

Reply to
dpb

Didn't say that.

The secret to success in Retail is not selling. It's being good at BUYING. A smart retailer knows where to get things at the right price WHEN he needs them.

I take it, you went bankrupt! LOL

Reply to
salty

No, that was your mis-interpretation, colored by what you "wanted" to hear me say.

Reply to
salty

In Israel, EVERY gas station is required to have a humongous storage capability for exclusive use of the IDF (Israeli Defense Force).*

That probably wouldn't work as an emergency FEMA source in areas susceptible to hurricanes - the gas might sit there for several years.

Old gas is not a problem in Israel, as tanks are forever going to and fro. There's usually a line of APCs and tanks at stations that give double green stamps on Thursdays.

------ Israel can fight a sustained war on three fronts, without significant re-supply, for thirty days. The greatest supply endurance of NATO facing the Soviets was ten days.

Reply to
HeyBub

I know they make radio and TV stations have fuel tanks for their gennies, so they can stay on the air. I'd be surprised if there were any formal arrangements with local gas stations to tap their stocks. That is more likely a local good-old-boy arrangement between the whoever runs the local emergency services and the station owners. Note that most scenarios that take out power also throw a lot of water around- do you really want to trust peoples lives to fuel that may have picked up a lot of water in it? Unless your draft pump has a water separator on it, pulling fuel back out the fill hole is risky. Safer to power up the station with a generator, and use the pump and filter system that is there.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Nope...

Reply to
dpb

aemeijers wrote: ...

And, FEMA, Red Cross, etc., vehicles are diesel, not gasoline, anyway, for the most part so the commercial gas supplies don't help a whole lot...

--

Reply to
dpb

And tells thieves where your generator is. I'd rather have a quiet one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do happen to know that FEMA has an arrangement in place to use DoD stocks and supplies when needed, including their CONUS fuel contracts and storage farms. MREs and cots aren't the only olive-drab things they have using in the storm areas.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Dope...

Reply to
salty

Really? I think you need to investigate a little more thoroughly as to what their needs might be in a situation such as this.

Reply to
salty

I've been wondering how much of this goes on in true disaster areas. Mine is loud enough to wake the dead but it must weigh around 200 pounds.

My power came back on yesterday afternoon. It was just shy of 8 full 24 hour days, but nothing compared to what they are going through in Texas.

My scheme to use my largest auto battery with an inverter caused some speculation here that I probably ruined it. I was charging it on the generator during the day, then using it at night for a few CFL bulbs and occasionally some TV on a 13" model - plus Sunday when I taxed it with my desktop PC. With it back in the Explorer it feels pretty strong. I guess the coming winter will tell whether or not it can truly hold a charge.

Unless I fall into a pile of money or find a transfer switch for a lot less than what I've seen so far, I guess I will be using extension cords if this ever happens again. I'm 51 and this is the first time I've ever been without power at home for more than a few hours. But I think that if I lived where the power goes out more frequently I would just pony up the dollars. Constantly jockeying those cords around every time something needed to be done sure got old quickly.

Reply to
T. McQuinn

In the foresight department. Wouldn't it make sense for someone with a good electrical background to set up a truck mount generator, and the necessary wiring to power up a gas station? And then you could go from station to station, power them up until the tanks run dry. Would be a nightmare, though. Convincing the management you knew what you were doing, getting paid for your service, and the stores would have to staff, and handle money during a power cut when the banks were closed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What promo do they give from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One fiction book I read years ago. The local guy had a tractor PTO mounted generator, which was able to power the local gas station. I wonder if anyone's done this for real?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know. I guess, like everything else, they have Arabs running the station on the Sabbath.

Running low on gas in my rental car, I pulled into a gas station and stopped at the first pump. Guy comes running out, grabs the hose and fills the tank. I offer him money. He has a fit. Runs to the office yelling something (it wasn't Hebrew or Yiddish - maybe Ladino).

Seems as if I had pulled up to the IDF pump!

Much confusion ensued. Everybody within earshot was consulted. Much gesturing.

Finally a chap with a resigned look came up to me and explained what happened. "How can we fix this?" I asked.

"Just go away" he said.

Free tank of gas (but no green stamps).

Reply to
HeyBub

Instead of having a loud alarm to warn you when the generator is being swiped, sudden quiet would accomplish the same thing. Plus the lights going out.

Nonetheless, your observation is a good one.

I chained and padlocked mine to the burglar bars.

Reply to
HeyBub