Generator Livin'

Page 2 of 2

Dope... <G>

Didn't say that.

The secret to success in Retail is not selling. It's being good at BUYING. A smart retailer knows where to get things at the right price WHEN he needs them.

I take it, you went bankrupt! LOL
dpb wrote:

In Israel, EVERY gas station is required to have a humongous storage capability for exclusive use of the IDF (Israeli Defense Force).*
That probably wouldn't work as an emergency FEMA source in areas susceptible to hurricanes - the gas might sit there for several years.
Old gas is not a problem in Israel, as tanks are forever going to and fro. There's usually a line of APCs and tanks at stations that give double green stamps on Thursdays.
------ Israel can fight a sustained war on three fronts, without significant re-supply, for thirty days. The greatest supply endurance of NATO facing the Soviets was ten days.
What promo do they give from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't know. I guess, like everything else, they have Arabs running the station on the Sabbath.
Running low on gas in my rental car, I pulled into a gas station and stopped at the first pump. Guy comes running out, grabs the hose and fills the tank. I offer him money. He has a fit. Runs to the office yelling something (it wasn't Hebrew or Yiddish - maybe Ladino).
Seems as if I had pulled up to the IDF pump!
Much confusion ensued. Everybody within earshot was consulted. Much gesturing.
Finally a chap with a resigned look came up to me and explained what happened. "How can we fix this?" I asked.
"Just go away" he said.
Free tank of gas (but no green stamps).
dpb wrote:

I know they make radio and TV stations have fuel tanks for their gennies, so they can stay on the air. I'd be surprised if there were any formal arrangements with local gas stations to tap their stocks. That is more likely a local good-old-boy arrangement between the whoever runs the local emergency services and the station owners. Note that most scenarios that take out power also throw a lot of water around- do you really want to trust peoples lives to fuel that may have picked up a lot of water in it? Unless your draft pump has a water separator on it, pulling fuel back out the fill hole is risky. Safer to power up the station with a generator, and use the pump and filter system that is there.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote: ...

And, FEMA, Red Cross, etc., vehicles are diesel, not gasoline, anyway, for the most part so the commercial gas supplies don't help a whole lot...
dpb wrote:

I do happen to know that FEMA has an arrangement in place to use DoD stocks and supplies when needed, including their CONUS fuel contracts and storage farms. MREs and cots aren't the only olive-drab things they have using in the storm areas.
-- aem sends...

Really? I think you need to investigate a little more thoroughly as to what their needs might be in a situation such as this.
One fiction book I read years ago. The local guy had a tractor PTO mounted generator, which was able to power the local gas station. I wonder if anyone's done this for real?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've been wondering how much of this goes on in true disaster areas. Mine is loud enough to wake the dead but it must weigh around 200 pounds.
My power came back on yesterday afternoon. It was just shy of 8 full 24 hour days, but nothing compared to what they are going through in Texas.
My scheme to use my largest auto battery with an inverter caused some speculation here that I probably ruined it. I was charging it on the generator during the day, then using it at night for a few CFL bulbs and occasionally some TV on a 13" model - plus Sunday when I taxed it with my desktop PC. With it back in the Explorer it feels pretty strong. I guess the coming winter will tell whether or not it can truly hold a charge.
Unless I fall into a pile of money or find a transfer switch for a lot less than what I've seen so far, I guess I will be using extension cords if this ever happens again. I'm 51 and this is the first time I've ever been without power at home for more than a few hours. But I think that if I lived where the power goes out more frequently I would just pony up the dollars. Constantly jockeying those cords around every time something needed to be done sure got old quickly.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Instead of having a loud alarm to warn you when the generator is being swiped, sudden quiet would accomplish the same thing. Plus the lights going out.
Nonetheless, your observation is a good one.
I chained and padlocked mine to the burglar bars.

you are insan if you want us to believe that you are running 1200 wats of your Explorer batttery and never mine 3600, learn how to use volt and amp. meter Tony

He didn't say he was, just that the inverter COULD make 1200/3600 watts. If he's running a desktop computer that's maybe 200w, plus a monitor, so maybe 275W total. That battery will do it easily. It has at least 10X the capacity of most small UPS's that run a computer.

You are confused. The computer draws 275 watts at 120 volts. The power source is a 12 volt battery.
a quick and rough way to guestimate power consumption for things in a 12 volt system, as found in an RV or boat is that 10 watts equals 1 amp draw. So if your computer draws 275 watts, that works out to a 27.5 amp draw on that poor battery. If you had a high quality deep cycle group 27 size 12 volt battery, it may have as much as a 100 amp hour rating. You cannot draw it down more than 50% of capacity without seriously shortening it's service life. So you have about 50 amp hours to run your computer. That's less than 2 hours running the computer, ON A HEAVY DUTY DEEP CYCLE BATTERY.
He doesn't have a deep cycle battery. It probably has less than 100 amp hour capacity, too. If he runs that truck battery down to 50%, he'll be shopping for a new battery pretty quickly. It won't do that more than a few times before it's ruined and loses most of it's capacity permanently.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

All true. I don't know how far down I drained the battery and I accepted that I might ruin it before I ever started. I have employees and I needed to run QuickBooks Payroll and make payroll deposits to the feds. The cost of a battery is an acceptable loss and I just may consider getting myself a deep cycle battery. I may even have the board of directors meet (me) and vote on getting a corporate deep cycle battery if my accountant approves it!!!
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I guess I have exactly enough background, quite by accident, to make it just an inconvenience. My sons and I fly to the big air show in Oshkosh every year, where we 'camp' in a tent and get by on a 35 watt solar cell charging a pair of 12V-12AH sealed batteries. So I get a lesson in energy conservation every July. Of course, here at home I'm not limited by how much things weigh. I have a 3500 watt gasoline alternator (1979 model) that I keep in the shed, just in case. It's how I'm powering the house right now. My biggest dog has a job now patrolling the back yard. I have gone to great trouble teaching her not to bite but I guarantee you she will go bat shit crazy if anyone comes over that fence. There is no natural gas here so the procurement and management of gasoline is a factor. In the beginning I got caught with little fuel in my cans. I have been cutting and chipping a lot of brush and I let myself get low. The one gas station that I found open the day after the power went out (long lines) was the closest I have been to a riot since the Who concert where people were trampled to death. Anyway, they were limiting you to $75 worth and the guy told me they were nearly out. At that point I had enough to last me for a few days. Due to a coffee addiction and more camping with the Cub Scouts than I would prefer, I have a small propane burner and a camping percolator. We also have a propane grill that never gets used and had a nearly full tank. I have one 100 ft., one 75 ft., one 50 ft., and two 25 ft. extension cords, all 12 gauge, plus lots of lesser gauge extensions. I have an Explorer that gets driven once a week and I put the biggest battery it could take in it last winter. I have a good sized 1200 watt (continuous) inverter and a smaller 80 watt unit. I harvested the battery from the Explorer and I would have gotten the fuel out of it too, one way or another, if I had to. I bought a few CFL bulbs at Harbor Freight and they are nice at night. I also have a DC to DC converter that will let me run and charge my laptop from either that small 12 volt batteries or any car battery. I have two coolers and am used to draining the water and replenishing them from camping. I also have a Diblasi scooter that claims it will go 100 miles on 3/4 of a gallon of fuel. After that it's bicycles. I have a plane full of fuel (50 gallons) a 20 minute drive from here. But it's leaded fuel and not going into the cars, though anything is possible if it were a worse disaster.
Job one was cleaning all firearms and locating every spare round. I know this may be controversial but I had no idea how long this was going to go on and I have no intention of peacefully turning my place over to looters. But to each his own. Next, how do you get ice? It disappears quickly in this type of situation. For the first couple of days we powered the refrigerator from the generator, at least during the day. The ice maker is a joke. I do believe it is intended for convenience and not throughput. I found that by filling small plastic cups with water I could make more ice than I needed. For news we started with battery powered radios. Then I dug up the antenna for the 13" TV and that let us watch over the air TV news. I'm not sure it was worth the trouble but the family enjoyed it. Getting power into the house was a bit challenging and I quickly tired of having to disconnect everything just to close and lock the doors every time I left. I finally took some of that insulation for hot water pipes, taped it into the jamb for the sliding door, cut a foot long piece to go over a (now precious) extension cord, and cut a 2x4 with my cordless circular saw to hold the door against the insulation. I'm sure there are better ways. I don't know if a generator can wet or not. I drug two saw horses and a sheet of plywood out of the shed and that's now my fancy generator roof.
Here's my impression of the whole deal. This started 8 days ago and I still am not back on the grid. It's an inconvenience but boo hoo. We still have water to drink and the toilets still work. We never ran out of food. It could be a whole lot worse. I was a pretty handy guy once upon a time but I have spent the last couple of decades as an office person. I've lost my touch on a lot of things. I broke a lot of things. I melted a few things. I invented new curse words when the old standbys seemed insufficient. Again, boo hoo. When A doesn't work you try B. Maybe you'll figure out how a better way to do A when you're trying to sleep. You stay at it, find things that work, and abandon the things that don't. Don't count on the kindness or competence of others and you won't be disappointed. It really doesn't take a hell of a lot to get by if all you have lost is electricity. I don't know how well I would do with in a total loss situation like the people we are seeing in Texas, but I would approach it the same way. Keep trying things and don't give up.
I'm not going to reread this one because it was a stream of consciousness effort, but that's my take on the power going off.

The EU2000i is a great little unit! Very quiet, and the power quality is as good as what I get off the grid (I've looked at both on a scope).
I bought mine at mayberrys.com, great prices there if you can live with waiting a couple days for it to arrive.