generator - HELP how to drain gas

We bought a generator (15000 watt portable Guardian 04582 Guardian Ultra Source). The manual says to drain gas when storing the generator. It does NOT say HOW to drain the gas and we cannot find a dump valve anywhere.
Is anyone here familiar with the unit and able to tell us how to do this. We're not very knowledgeable seniors :-)
Add pictures here
✖
asbaker wrote:

Not familiar with it, no, but you'll probably have to disconnect the fuel line going to the carburetor -- if you're lucky it'll be easy to get to and long enough to get into a container. Loosen tank cap to provide air.
✖
The choices, one is to run the unit until it goes dry and stalls. Another choice is to unhook the hose where it goes into the carb, and drain it (gravity, slowly) into a gascan. Then run the motor to dry out the carb.
Looks like yours has a five galon overhead tank. How about run the generator for half hour, every month. That will use up the gas over time.
You'd think that for two grand, someone at the store could tell you? Or it would be in the manual.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Or, that seemingly normal, intelligent people would have enough common sense to be able to figure out an extremely simple task on their own...
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 15, 2:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Not every "intelligent" person understands the parts of an engine. Ask me to do a problem in trig or calculus and I can probably help you. Which hose goes where is not that simple to me. The manual says to drain the gasoline but doesn't say how. In addition, we tried detaching hoses and they didn't work until we tried this particular one.
If you do not want to help, try to ignore a posting instead of insulting the posting people.
Add pictures here
✖
asbaker wrote:

Once saw a cartoon of a mechanic holding a part from the doctor's Mercedes. The caption read: "There's a lot we still don't understand about the carburetor."
Add pictures here
✖

I am also a new generator owner but I am not familiar with your brand. The people around me who have them use Stabil in the gas tank and usually leave it in there. Others have siphons and take the gas out using it and put the gas in lawn mowers and stuff at the end of the hurricane season. I think trying to drain it would require some mechanical knowhow.
Add pictures here
✖
Dottie wrote:

Think turkey baster.
Add pictures here
✖

So proving x**n + y**n = z**n has no non-zero integer solutions for x, y and z when n > 2 should be a piece of cake to you :-)
Personally I think Fermat was making a funny when he wrote he had proof of it but the margin was too narrow to show it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:00:33 -0700 (PDT), asbaker

I have a little transfer pump I bought at an auto parts store I use for stuff like this. it's just manually operated, no motor. I just pump it back into the gas can. It won't get every drop, but gets most of it, and then I just start it and let it run until it's dry.
Alternately, you could add some Stabil fuel stabilizer to the gas, which extends the time you can safely leave the gas in the generator. You can buy stabil most anywhere they sell lawn and garden gear.
HTH, Paul F.
Add pictures here
✖

✖
Storing the generator is not a good idea. It might not work when you need it. It's better to run it (under load) for 15 minutes once a month. Then refill the tank when needed and add Stabil.
---MIKE---

Add pictures here
✖
asbaker wrote:

There must be a shut off valve on the tank. Shut it off and remove the hose going to the carb. Connect a longer hose to the valve going into a container. Open the valve until it is all drained. Reconnect the carb to the valve and run the engine until it runs out of gas. Other option is to siphon the gas out.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:00:33 -0700, asbaker wrote:

siphon it with a 1/4 or 3/8 inch hose or use turkey baster.
I suspect the reason to empty the tank is a safety issue. You could also add Stabil to the fuel so it keeps.

Franz Fripplfrappl
✖

A gen has to be run with load every 6 months so the field does not demagnatise. Leaving gas in the carb is bad, you can shut off the fuel valve and run it dry and put stabil in the tank, but use it up after 6 months. Or you can cut the fuel line add a T and another valve and hose as a drain line, If your unit has no gas filter now is the time to add one. Gas left in a carb is the real killer of carbs.
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the suggestions. Though we had tried to drain directly from the fuel shut-off valve originally, that did not seem to work. We disconnected the hose from the next place after the shut-off (a rectangular box thing which had hoses coming into it from the gas tank and oil and something else - I'm not engine-savvy) and used that hose to do a gravity drain and it finally worked.
Not only are we interested in draining the gas for storage purposes (storage meaning when we are not at the Florida house or do not need the generator), we also have a problem that the year-old floor model they delivered does not work and they are exchanging it tomorrow. At the price of gasoline, we wanted our 5 gallons of gas back!

Add pictures here
✖