generator extension cord

Page 2 of 2
On Jun 13, 7:58pm, "mike snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Don't think the OP has a very good appreciation of the issues, technical and legal liabilities involved; even if the arrangement (of a previous owner) previously seemed to work OK!
It does 'sound' as though the generator output has; live (red), live (black, neutral (white), and should have a green ground wire. Any of those missing, then potentially unsafe and/or could cause damage to house appliances!!!
Utility workers working on 'downed' lines during/after an emergency can and understand , HAVE, received fatal electric shocks from line which they understood were disconnected; by 'back feeds' from negligent homeowners using improperly connected generators!
terry wrote:

That's a possibility, yet I wonder who's making the bigger mistake: the homeowner who doesn't know any better or the professional lineman who should.
I'd think any lineman who treats a downed power line as "dead" will end up that way himself.
HeyBub wrote:

Neither mistake is any less than the other--ignorance is no excuse, particularly in a case where the person (OP in this case) can no longer even claim ignorance.

It has indeed happened, not always from downed lines but supposedly isolated lines. Our local REC had a lineman burned severely and very lucky he wasn't killed by such an incident where the generator was put onto the line _during_ the time they were working on a feeder that was physically disconnected from the line source but a secondary transformer was on the other side. --

The 'downed' line was used more as figure of speech! And, while some truth in that, hard working lines people working extra long hours under storm or other conditions, dealing with broken off wires etc.; maybe staff brought in from other assisting power companies, to restore power, deserve better consideration. Ever since the 1950s while I worked for a telecomm. company that shared poles with power lines there have been some accidents and FATALITIES. Usually involving power company linemen! Since the availaibility of emergency generators at prices affordable to many home owners the risk of back feeding tfrom a house service by an improperly connected generator through distribution transformer back to primary 13 or 22 kilovolts has existed. It behoves us to 'do it right'!

The 'downed' line was used more as figure of speech! And, while some truth in that, hard working lines people working extra long hours under storm or other conditions, dealing with broken off wires etc.; maybe staff brought in from other assisting power companies, to restore power, deserve better consideration. Ever since the 1950s while I worked for a telecomm. company that shared poles with power lines there have been some accidents and FATALITIES. Usually involving power company linemen! Since the availaibility of emergency generators at prices affordable to many home owners the risk of back feeding tfrom a house service by an improperly connected generator through distribution transformer back to primary 13 or 22 kilovolts has existed. It behoves us to 'do it right'! Every time this discussion comes up, it seems the discussion is only of possible hazards to trained and well equipped linemen working on a distribution system. Linemen are not the only persons who may accidently or otherwise come in contact with a broken or otherwise downed power line. It is possible for a service drop line to break loose during a storm and then be backfed from the house it is still connected to. I would not want the possibility of being responsible for any power being present on presumably dead lines, whether on poles or on the ground.
Don Young
dpb wrote:

Unfortunate, but they failed to follow procedures and ground any conductor they were going to work on without using appropriate gear for live conductors.
It is no surprise that linemen listen careful for generators. Also, I've heard of ground straps they may use. To ground a cable, before working on it. Your descripton does sound like a clear case of home owner being unsafe.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus