General Contractors

I posted a message a few days ago about getting some work done on our house: paint the interior, replace all carpeting, refinish hardwook floor in the kitchen, and tile the bathrooms. Our house is ~2,200sf,

3BR 2.5BA.

I'll need to have this work done around August/September, and all within a four-week period.

Issue is that we reside out of state, and the logistics of coordinating this is going to be tough. I'll probably only be able to manage one single one-week trip back home before August, meaning I'll need to get bids lined up to review within that one week.

Questions:

  1. Does anyone have any experience with general contractors that can help get the individual contractors lined up to perform this work, and coordinate the individual projects, etc. This seems like an inherently risky thing to do (entrusting an individual to look after other contractors and our best interests), but if there's a way to make this work it would make things a lot easier.

  1. General contractor aside, how early should I line up bids and secure the individual contractors if I want to have this work performed in August?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
ecivon

We have a local store that sells all the paint, carpet, tile that you are going to use. One phone call and Bob would be able to get it all done with ease. He has contractors that do the installation for him. Perhaps you have a local business that can handle it too.

Start now to be sure materials are in and time set aside.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Banty

If it were me, I'd start by asking any friends and associates in the area for recommendations. Flooring and paint are two very different trades, so I'd line up an interior painter, but have the flooring coordinated starting with a local flooring provider (many do hardwood and vinyl and carpeting). So two contractors to deal with, the painter first then the flooring, but of course have them both lined up in advance. Discuss with the paint contractor if they could pull up edges of existing carpet to properly do trim. They'd likely have more prep than if they were doing a new construction or a remod, or even refurbishing with resisdent homeowners doing minor prep and furniture moving first, so make sure to bring up all those concerns for the bid.

I don't think it's too early to start now. But first see if you can get some recommendations.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I am a general contractor. People trust me to look after their best interests and to provide and supervise trades.

The bottom line is that no matter how you do it, you will have to either spend a month on site or "entrust an individual" as you put it.

Your job is too small for a serious general contractor to have any interest, unless you are a past client.

Find a retailer who sells flooring. Buy from him -- supply and install. . Give him a key or put a lockbox on the door. Tell him th painter will be finshed by (date) and to install after that.

Find a painter. Contract with him to paint and be done by (date). Give him a key or put a lockbox on the door.

Depends on your market. Ours is a very hot market .. many of us are booking a year in advance. Ask the painter. Ask the flooring guy.

Ken

Reply to
bambam