generac sucks cease and desist

Last summer I posted a thread about the problems I was having with my Generac natural gas 10KW generator and the lack of customer service. I made a diary of my adventure and posted it to a site I created, generac-sucks.com
Well, low and behold, a year later I get a "cease and desist" letter from Generac's Vice President General Counsel informing me that if "in the unfortunate event that you fail to remove these defamatory materials, we will take aggressive legal action."
Just so happens that the domain expired this week and I did not renew it since it served its purpose.
With all the existing case law surrounding "sucks" websites, it makes me wonder.
I have previously visited "Radio Shack sucks" and "U-Haul sucks" sites (don't recall the precise names). I wonder if their owners are also being harassed.
MB
On 08/27/04 01:33 pm snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

But did it get fixed
I could not find the site, so what happened.
Top-posting dickdrip Minnie Bannister wrote:

They SHOULD be! You can't just go publishing undocumented heresay anecdotal stories about a company like that, that's friggin' LIBEL unless every single word of it is proven fact. Where the fugg do people get off thinking they can just stand up in a public forum and defame another person or a business??
--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!

reader.com!newsfeed.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp!newsfeed.icl.net!feed.news.tiscali .de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!not-for-mail
Co3K,VfQKlw)}_/tZI1_6PSB;\/K>%$7dT(v]Jr2eX@`.a![Y:-_3!QT,9Kq_mlhAzC(h[/#SVx|
No it isn't. It isn't libel unless it's proven by a preponderance of the evidence in a civil court to be an untrue statement.
Where the fugg do people get off thinking they can

It isn't defamation unless it's false. Companies should think about the consequences before they make a crappy product or give crappy customer service.
Welcome to the United States of America. It's called free speech. -- Tom H

I work for Generac dealer, as a sevice tech. What was the problem, and was it resolved? We have had good support from Generac, even as far as to offer to exchange a troublesome generator that is two years out of warranty. Generac has spotty support for standby products. We often drive over 100 miles one way to do service. Warranty dealers are not in every city and the closest may be miles away, not nessasarily Generacs fault! Just not allot of companies want to take on this type of work. Often when I get there it is an instalation problem not covered under warranty. We get a check for the travel time when I arrive, or I leave! Customers often have a hard time understanding what is warranty and what is not. E-mail me if you like. Greg
If you had a claim court would have heard it. I say a nonexistant site and slander is BS

spotty
miles
when
is
I bought a Generac generator and within the same week, I caught the clap. What can yew do fer me?
wrote

was
exchange
do
what
.357 in the right ear will take care of it! Greg
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:33:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote (with possible editing):

FWLIW, if you reported everything that happened and made no unsubstantiated claims, I'd guess their lawyer can take all the action he likes and shove it up his ass. After all, we do have free speech in this country. OTOH, if you made unsubstantiated claims, that could be interpreted as either slander or libel (one's spoken, one's written, but who other than a low-life lawyer actually cares...)
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com