Generac iX2000

Page 1 of 2

I picked one of these up at Lowes to temporarily power some incandescent lights. With a couple of hundred watts of load I notice that the lights flicker slightly but annoyingly. For a normal generator I'd let it slide, but I thought the point of these inverter designs was "clean" power. Is slight flickering typical of the iX2000 or did I get a bad one?
βœ–
On Jun 20, 3:51 am, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

Did you check the voltage it puts out loaded, is that unit like the Honda inverter that varies rpm to keep voltage constant. On constant speed units to get 120v 60hz you need 3600 rpm .
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mark snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com (ransley) writes: | On Jun 20, 3:51 am, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote: | > I picked one of these up at Lowes to temporarily power some incandescent | > lights.  With a couple of hundred watts of load I notice that the light| s | > flicker slightly but annoyingly.  For a normal generator I'd let it sli| de, | > but I thought the point of these inverter designs was "clean" power.  I| s | > slight flickering typical of the iX2000 or did I get a bad one? | > | >                                 Dan Lanci| ani | >                                 ddl@danla| n.*com | | Did you check the voltage it puts out loaded, is that unit like the | Honda inverter that varies rpm to keep voltage constant. On constant | speed units to get 120v 60hz you need 3600 rpm .
It is basically a clone of the Honda, but the equavalent of econo-throttle was off. The voltage was something reasonable, 118V I think. I actually have a smaller Honda (1000VA) but I never used it for lights. I suppose I could take it to the site for comparison. I was tempted to order the larger Honda, but the Generac was available and in stock on a direct line from where I live to where I needed it. :)
βœ–
On Jun 20, 3:51 am, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

I just looked at a spec sheet and I think its like the Honda EU series so if its not giving 120v 60 or lights flicker its a defect
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dan Lanciani wrote:

Inverters put out a crappy sign wave. Looks like a stepped pyramid.
--
LSMFT

βœ–

that shouldnt affect an -incandescent- . at 60hz,the filament will average out the waveform.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I use a light bulb to load UPCs that I'm testing, and noticed that the bulb brightness is very sensitive to the voltage and width of the square output pulse. The bulb responds to changes that are barely visible on the scope.
jsw
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/20/2010 2:14 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"UPC's" Universal Product Codes?
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins) writes:
| > ... | > that shouldnt affect an -incandescent- . | > at 60hz,the filament will average out the waveform. | > Jim Yanik | | I use a light bulb to load UPCs that I'm testing, and noticed that the | bulb brightness is very sensitive to the voltage and width of the | square output pulse. The bulb responds to changes that are barely | visible on the scope.
Indeed. I once got a Best FERRUPS online UPS because everybody told me the quality was spectacular. The first thing I tried was a 100W light bulb, and interrupting mains power caused something way beyond a flicker, almost to the point of a double blink. I was disappointed, but then the same everybody told me that lights were very sensitive and I shouldn't worry about it. If this is the same kind of thing I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to "fix" it. In particular, I don't want to end up with the maufacturer swapping a "reconditioned" unit (that behaves the same but is all beat up) for my nice new one because they don't want to admit that the lights flicker...
βœ–
ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote in

a square wave is MUCH different than a quasi-sinewave output. (like the OP was discussing)
an entirely different matter.
your PC doesn't mind it because the first thing the PS does is rectify and filter the input into DC,for the switching circuitry.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Ah, I read that wrong. I guess I was just assuming fluorescent.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 08:51:05 +0000, Dan Lanciani wrote:

Should not flicker. But most generators specify not to return it to the point of sale if there are problems. Call the number in your owner's pamphlet before you do anything.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If he just bought it he should return it, those call us first statements are to avoid getting the unit returned to the company , rather you go through months of new parts.
Add pictures here
βœ–
    --Next time you buy a genny (and there will be a next time!) research the brand, re: service and spare parts. I bought a used RV with an ailing Generac and I found it was *impossible* to get a response from Generac. Best I've been able to determine: the company's been absorbed into another company and new co doesn't give a shit. Also there's no place in *my* neck of the woods that will service it. Get a better brand next time; what's that quote... '..the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten'. Heh.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Didja see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at 2010 Maker Faire??
Dan Lanciani wrote:

If it doesn't put out a real sine wave instead of a stepped one you could probably do better with a cheaper brushless AC generator.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/20/2010 9:00 AM Tony spake thus:

By "stepped" you mean a square wave, no?
But even if the inverter outputs a square wave, that still shouldn't cause flickering with incandescent lights. I'm going to guess that you're going to need a signal with a frequency down around 10 Hz or less to see that. Dunno what that could be.
OP: you don't happen to have access to a 'scope or a signal analyzer, do you? Maybe know someone who owns one? It'd be interesting to connect a scope and see what the waveform actually looks like.
βœ–
David Nebenzahl wrote:

No, it's all choppy. Taking a bunch of little square waves to make up one complete cycle. On a scope it looks like steps going up and then down. The more steps the closer it gets to a sine wave. Not just one up and one down like a square wave. It sounds good in theory, but unless it's really a good one, it isn't worth the money.
I've run a few different computers and other electronic equipment off my plain Jane generator (alternator) without any problems. No electronics, just a cheap generator (alternator) at about 60 Hz. Most electronic equipment is marked for 50 to 60 Hz showing that it isn't as sensitive to frequency as one might think.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I know Honda EU series is stated to be cleaner than your AC, the Inverter type can be the best but that generac is just defective junk.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 20, 4:51 am, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

Before you adjust the Governor, or change anything...............You might want to put more of a load on it. A couple hundred watts isn't much. Mine ( 3500 watt) did the same thing with only a couple lights on it. I added more load and the flicker went away.
Hank
Add pictures here
βœ–
ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote in
return it ASAP. You bought it to run some simple lights and it didn't do the job -- so the various reasons why it failed don't help your lights. Get another one and if it fails get a different brand.
just saying what i'd do is all.. best of luck
Add pictures here
βœ–