Generac generator won't start

I have a Generac SE5000 generator with a Briggs & Stratton engine(model 185432 type 0606). I last used it about a year ago and drained the fuel when I put it away. Since hurricane season is here I tried to start the generator to make sure everything was ok. The rope would not pull very far. When I removed the rope and turned the shaft by hand it would not turn 360 degrees. It stopped at the same spot no matter which way I turned the shaft. What could be causing this problem?
<< When I removed the rope and turned the shaft by hand it would not turn 360 degrees. It stopped at the same spot no matter which way I turned the shaft. >>
Sounds like something has gotten into the combustion chamber to block the piston from going all the way past TDC. Could be something broke, or a large carbon chunk is interfering. Taking out the spark plug and treating it with a blast of compressed air may help, or pulling it gently past TDC may blow something out the plug hole if it is a fuel hydrolock. If this doesn't work you may have a bent connecting rod. This could have been caused by a prior hydrolock condition. HTH
Joe
I am certain Joe knows more about engines than I do, so I won't really try to answer your question; but... I know two people with problems similar to yours. They drained their gas and put the generators away. The next time they went to use them, they were frozen. For anyone else reading this: 1) Put gas stablizer in and start your generator monthly, or 2) drain everything and put oil in the cylinder. One of them was a mechanical engineer who certainly knew better.
Sounds like a bit of rust in the cylinder. Unscrew the spark plug, and squirt in a bit of two cycle oil. Quarter of an ounce or so. Then turn the flywheel back and forth till it goes all the way around.
Hint: Never try to start an engine by spraying ether into the spark plug hole. A neighbor did this to my Dad's generator, and it siezed up the cylinder. I manged to free it, but it promptly threw a piston rod.
It is OK to spray some ether on the air filter, then only vapors get into the cylinder.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus