Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makes clicking sounds

Page 2 of 7
Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:40:24 -0600:

I'm sorry didn't see this until I came back from the store.
I bought the Bosch 3330 filter instead:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8583/15819774350_1d9dc07783_b.jpg
And I had to guess which spark plug to use, so I guessed that they didn't mean R12YC but perhaps they had meant RC12YC?
trader_4 wrote, on Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:10:22 -0800:

The manual says 50 hours in one place and every 100 hours in another. The generator has over 500 hours, but, I didn't put it all on (I don't remember how much I put on).
So, my plan is to give it a "tuneup", whatever that means to a propane generator:
1. Battery tested at Autzone for voltage under load, 2. New spark plug (Champion RC12YC I think) 3. Oil change & oil filter
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8583/15819774350_1d9dc07783_b.jpg
On Friday, December 12, 2014 4:43:45 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

100 hours sounds about right. When I said once a year, I was thinking that few of these home generators are going to run enough in a year to reach an hour based number. It should probably be changed once a year anyway, regardless of usage. It starts up once a week as a test and runs for like 10 mins, right? Doing that, sitting outdoors, probably gets condensation into the oil, so changing it once a year or so is probably a good idea.
Danny D. wrote:

Bosch are good too , I'd run one if Wix were unavailable . I'm not sure about your spark plug , but i know my Harley runs an RN12YC . There are charts online of what all the numbers and letters mean ...
--
Snag

Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 12 Dec 2014 17:57:34 -0600:

Oh, we spent more than 45 minutes trying to find a RC12YC. The auto parts guy looked in every cross reference he had. We googled it on my iPad. And we even called Generac from the store (which is what took most of the 45 minutes).
Generac has no clue but they said it 'could' be a typo. All we know is that the R12YC doesn't exist.
The one good thing that came of the multiple calls to Generac support was that each person told us something different, which allowed us to figure out that there is no such thing as the "oil makeup tank" and that the "SAE340" was a typo.
We now have "revision 1" of the manual, which still says to use the spark plug which doesn't exist though.
Anyway, I'll pull and compare spark plugs (not that this will be an exact test but if it's way off, I should be able to see that as long as it's not off internally).
On 12/12/2014 7:42 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Oddly, I have an old Champion catalog. No such plug that I could find. Wish I was more help.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/13/2014 9:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Generac sells a service kit for each generator including spark plug, oil filter, and air filter. Just buy it and save yourself (and everybody else) a lot of confusion.
trader_4 wrote, on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 03:56:58 -0800:

Yes. Ostensibly that's to charge the battery.
Zak W wrote, on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 11:16:52 +0000:

Here is a video of the clicking sounds: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/15382730574/
Here's what is inside the transfer cases: Left:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7522/16002089132_a30301e7ec_c.jpg
Right:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7525/16002089242_ece9eca41d_c.jpg
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:22:12 -0500:

Thanks for checking that out. I have the newer manual from Generac (rev 1 instead of rev 0), which corrects two of the three errors - but still specifies the non-existent spark plug.
I'm pretty sure that the plug designation is a typo, but, when I pull the old one, I'll know for sure so I'll let you know.
Thanks for looking it up for me.
On 12/13/2014 10:48 AM, Danny D. wrote:

"Oh, that one? I threw away four of them last week...."
I do have some old plugs. My guess, it's fairly close to some thing that's for sale near you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Smarty wrote, on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 11:09:46 -0500:

I didn't know about that, and, certainly Generac support didn't volunteer that information, particularly when I asked about the oil and the plug.
But, at this point, I think I'm fine: a) The oil filter appears to be correct, b) The spark plug will be compared to the old one c) The oil is just plain old motor oil (SAE & API notwithstanding) d) The air filter appears to be a serviceable filter (cleanable)
I'll snap pictures, hopefully later today, as it's not currently raining.
On 12/13/2014 11:17 AM, Danny D. wrote:

The Generac technicians on the forum I previously cited recommended synthetic oil, and I therefore have been using Mobil 1 for annual oil changes since I installed my Generac in 2007. Also I am not aware that the air filter can be cleaned and re-used as you state above. Suggest you check both of these items carefully.
On 12/13/2014 11:17 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Here is Generac's web pages where the maintenance kits I previously referred to are sold.
Although the kits are individually priced at around $50, I bought 10 of them for $260 online to avoid the annual hassle. The plugs come pre-gapped, the air and oil filters are exact Generac parts, the kit also contains a funnel and cleaning cloth for oil clean up, and they even throw in a small spark plug wrench.
Do yourself a favor if you intend to do the proper annual maintenance yourself and just buy a batch of these kits. It makes the whole process much simpler.
http://www.generac.com/all-products/parts-accessories/home-backup
Hope this helps! Smarty

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:22:12 -0500, Stormin Mormon

It will in lall likelyhood be an RJ12yc - or perhaps an RN12c The R means resistor, the N is 14mm 3/4" long thread, while a J is 14mm 3/8 in long thread, both with 13/16" hex head. An N can be replaced with a C or R, with 5/8, 3/4, or 5/8 inch hex. So yes, an R12Yc plug DOES exist (or has in the past). It is a non reisistor 14mmX3/4" thread projected nose copper core plug. with a 3/4 or 11/16" hex head. - which in MOST cases can be replaced with either an N12yc or RN12yc plug assuming there is a big enough "plug well" to get a 13/16" plug socket onto the plug.

Danny D.-
I happen to have a pdf copy of that manual. the spark plug is illustrated on page 24, item 52. According to the parts list on page 27, it is part number 72347, "D" Spark Plug.
Searching for 72347GS, it is apparently no longer available. I found two sites that crossed it to part number 491055S. Sears PartsDirect crosses that to RC12YC.
With regard to the oil change interval, many generators have a short "break in" interval for the first oil change, then a longer interval after that. Once you get it running, consider running it on fresh oil for 24 hours under some load like a couple electric heaters. Then change oil and observe a 100 hour interval after that.
I hope your clicking was just a reaction to low oil. If not, you may also find help at <http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f >.
Fred
Fred McKenzie wrote, on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 15:00:15 -0500:

Thanks for going the extra mile to help a fellow homeowner!
I wasn't able to get to it today due to a personal issue, but, hopefully soon.
I replaced the oil and oil filter of the Generac today, and much to my chagrin, I found out that the engine is a v-twin which means it needs two sparkplugs!
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7475/15999887366_0d5119c4c1_b.jpg
Worse yet, I was totally unable to pull out the spark plug wire. It's either bolted in, or extremely tightly on.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7538/15839615129_8f4571e38b_c.jpg
I was pulling with all my strength on the spark plug boots. It has some spring mechanism, but I was pulling so hard, that I was afraid I was going to break the wires.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8675/15403408714_4872312917_b.jpg
As an aside, some animal has chewed on the high-voltage cables.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7533/15839916557_8e95eab7a2_b.jpg
But, the big deal is that I can't get the spark plug cables off, and I don't want to use super-human force, for obvious reasons.
There must be a trick of some sort ...
On 12/15/2014 1:04 AM, Danny D. wrote:

1) Photos showed exposed wire to the low voltage side of the ignition coil. That could explain a lot of why it doesn't run properly. 2) Try rotate the spark plug boot left and right, to free up the metal to metal connection. And use spark plug grease on the reinstall.
The fins on the flywheel are for cooling air. Please put the cover back on when you finish service.
On 12/15/2014 1:04 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Danny,
I have replied to your prior inquiries in 3 separate posts, and you have not acknowledged or replied to 2 of them. This will be my final attempt to help you, barring any acknowledgement or thanks.
As I stated earlier, the Ziller forum I linked in one of my prior replies to you is the authoritative place for Generac technicians and advanced home users to assemble and discuss Generac repairs and issues. I have been using it for nearly 8 years with great success as have many others.
Rather than asking questions on this home repair forum such as why there are two oil holes, and other very specific issues which people here are very unlikely to know. why not go to the Ziller forum and ask people who are working on these units every day.
If you had ordered or even looked up a description of the Generac maintenance kit such as the one I previously linked you, then you would not have had a huge surprise to discover that your generator had 2 cylinders and 2 spark plugs! This stuff is not that hard to find and read about.
Use the resources Generac and Ziller provide and save yourself a lot of wasted words, time, and effort.