Generac 5500exl ran fine, now only 5 volts

Generac 5500exl- has worked great and then suddenly shut off and now starts and runs fine but with only 5volts power. The brushes and diodes are fine. Any ideas what to do and where to get the parts? Thanks.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Lisa

My Generac 8000 has four circuit breakers. Sometimes on or two will kick off and I don't get much power. Does your Gen have any circuit brekers? If so, make sure they haven't popped.

-C-

Reply to
Country

It may have a small circuit breaker on the field winding. On the larger Generac units I've serviced, there is a small breaker for the field winding inside the control panel. The units also had a voltage regulator module in there too with a red LED indicator that lights when it's operating.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

------------------------------------- Thanks, I'll tell him to check.

Reply to
Lisa

It recently worked? It didnt sit for months? Did you get it new and its never had the field flashed? I read sometimes a field can need reflashing but if it recently worked probably not. Try pushing the brushes in tighter.

Reply to
ransley

A Field Flash might be exactly what it needs. It's easy to do and not dangerous IFF you follow the rules for it, which I won't take responsibility for here. See the mfg's web site or go ask a repair center. Only takes a few minutes if you know what you're doing.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Recently tripped over a bunch of verbage on this topic. If the field needs flashing and your generator is an older one with the output connected to the front panel, no voltage regulators or inverters or ....in between, people suggest hooking up an electric drill, pulling the trigger and turning the shaft as fast as you can in both directions. If it works, the drill will start up under generator power. So wear gloves.

Reply to
mike

Reply to
Lisa

i had a generac do that 5 volt thing, there was a plastic box with all the parts potted in by some goo, no schematic available. after it went bad twice at 75 bucks each a buddy modified it. the box automatically engaged the start charging circuit once the engine got up to speed.

now i start it , then push a very heavy duty switch that engages the start generating circuit..

engine slows let go of switch.

Reply to
hallerb