Generac 5500exl ran fine, now only 5 volts

Generac 5500exl- has worked great and then suddenly shut off and now starts and runs fine but with only 5volts power. The brushes and diodes are fine. Any ideas what to do and where to get the parts? Thanks.
-------------------------------------
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 12, 4:30 pm, alicor9_at_hotmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Lisa) wrote:

My Generac 8000 has four circuit breakers. Sometimes on or two will kick off and I don't get much power. Does your Gen have any circuit brekers? If so, make sure they haven't popped.
-C-
Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Generac-5500exl-ran-fine-now-only-5-volts-603620-.htm Lisa wrote:
Country wrote:

------------------------------------- Thanks, I'll tell him to check.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/12/2010 4:30 PM, Lisa wrote:

It may have a small circuit breaker on the field winding. On the larger Generac units I've serviced, there is a small breaker for the field winding inside the control panel. The units also had a voltage regulator module in there too with a red LED indicator that lights when it's operating.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 12, 4:30 pm, alicor9_at_hotmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Lisa) wrote:

It recently worked? It didnt sit for months? Did you get it new and its never had the field flashed? I read sometimes a field can need reflashing but if it recently worked probably not. Try pushing the brushes in tighter.
Add pictures here
✖
In

A Field Flash might be exactly what it needs. It's easy to do and not dangerous IFF you follow the rules for it, which I won't take responsibility for here. See the mfg's web site or go ask a repair center. Only takes a few minutes if you know what you're doing.
HTH,
Twayne`
Add pictures here
✖
Twayne wrote:

Recently tripped over a bunch of verbage on this topic. If the field needs flashing and your generator is an older one with the output connected to the front panel, no voltage regulators or inverters or ....in between, people suggest hooking up an electric drill, pulling the trigger and turning the shaft as fast as you can in both directions. If it works, the drill will start up under generator power. So wear gloves.
Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Generac-5500exl-ran-fine-now-only-5-volts-603620-.htm Lisa wrote: Thanks all- we got distracted fixing other stuff for winter- I'll show him all this info and let you know what, if anything worked! mike wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 17, 7:21 am, alicor9_at_hotmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Lisa) wrote:

i had a generac do that 5 volt thing, there was a plastic box with all the parts potted in by some goo, no schematic available. after it went bad twice at 75 bucks each a buddy modified it. the box automatically engaged the start charging circuit once the engine got up to speed.
now i start it , then push a very heavy duty switch that engages the start generating circuit..
engine slows let go of switch.
Add pictures here
✖