GE Window Air Conditioner ASM14L Qiestions

I bought a GE window air conditioner ASM14L 14,000 BTU 115volt unit. After installing the unit I noticed a couple of things that concern me. What do you think?
The removable air filter is nothing more than plastic or nylon mesh. I don't see how it's going to filter much of anything and I don't see how I can add a a different filter.
The rear of the installed unit doesnot have a protective grill over the cooling fins on the back of the unit. The rear of the case has indentations and mounting holes for a rear protective grill. I called GE customer service and was told the unit didnot ship w/ a protective grill for the the cooling fins. Any suggestiuons how I can get a grill for the back?
Tom

Filter should be good enough. If you are talking about trying to use a HEPA filter for allergies, get a free standing unit to clean the air. Filters on an AC are to keep the coils clean, not to clean the air you breath.
As for the grill on back, most units stopped way back to save money. If you feel the need, buy some expanded metal and screw it on the back. Just don't put any screws through the coil or you trash the AC. The last AC I bought with a full grill enclosure was over 25 years ago. The new ones are about half the weight of the older models. Comes down to cost cutting and competition. The bigger companies are building well over 5,000 units a day so saving a buck in material and labor certainly adds up.
?

Thanks for the clarification re: the filter and grill.
The rear of the air condition is on the house back porch. I've got to do something to protect the cooling fins. I believe GE needs to offer the protective grill as an extra cost option. As previously stated the case is designed to accommodate a grill on the rear of the case.
tom

Your quote from a reply to my post... "My house is end of group and exposed to an alley. It really does need a protective grill."
Which is it... porch or alley????
KJPRO posted for all of us...

trash trucks going down his alley and over his porch.
Hmmm, why didn't he ask GE when he was on the phone? Duhhh
--
Tekkie GRIP = Get Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Eeerrrr. . . .ahhhh..... I did ask GE.
wrote in message

Both. Porch and alley.

Tom, Let me answer you this way........... I will be happy to install a Aprilaire model 5000 for you on your current new window unit. As a nice upgrade I will install a Sanuvox 4500 UV light system to augment the air cleaning for$850. I will need to have a transition made for the air cleaner and a power source (outlet) for them both. It should run you about $1200 installed for the air cleaner + any travel expenses I incur. How does that compare to $200ish dollars you paid for the winder shaker? Are you catching on now? Bubba

Eeer . . . .aaahhhhh. bubba I'll pass the aprilaire unit. BTW, the GE AC was $690.00 installed including taxes and removal of the old unit.
t.

$690?? Here was just a very quick check. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Maytag-14-000BTU-Window-Air-Conditioner/3136664/product.html ? OR... you could buy two or three of these....... http://www.absolutehome.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid#0703&cm_ven=Amazon&cm_cat=Appliances&cm_pla=Frigidaire&cm_ite=Frigidaire-Air%20Conditioners-230703&cid 23A215E8C2B6F75C0F5F96B9779ECA Exactly what did you pay to have that window lifted and then closed? Bubba

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Maytag-14-000BTU-Window-Air-Conditioner/3136664/product.html ?
http://www.absolutehome.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid#0703&cm_ven=Amazon&cm_cat=Appliances&cm_pla=Frigidaire&cm_ite=Frigidaire-Air%20Conditioners-230703&cid 23A215E8C2B6F75C0F5F96B9779ECA
Bubba, top priorities quick cool down and quiet. The GE unit istops in both areas according to Consumers report. Also, it's the most difficult to install. I'm not going through the hassle of buying a 14,000BTU unit via the internet then spending a few hours installing it. The extra couple of hundred is worth it to me.

Quick cool down? If it is sized to cool down quickly then it is probably an oversized unit. This will cause uncomfortable high humidity conditions, potential mold growth and higher operating costs. Tops in both? Bull shit. Any oversized unit will cool down quickly. Its the ability of things called BTU's. Most difficult to install? How the hell hard is it to open a window, set in a window shaker and close the window? If you like to pay hundreds to accomplish that, I believe I have a bridge Id like to sell you...........very, very cheap. There's nothing wrong with "more money than brains". Those are my favorite customers. Bubba

There's one born every minute... I hope you got kissed afterwords.... 17,500btu for $317 and 10,000 for $208 at Sams Club
unit.

Sam's Club doesn't sell 14K BTU GE units.

Don't think I've ever seen one with a grill over the back. Unless you have people who like to throw rocks or baseballs, I wouldn't worry about it. The filter seems to be what is done now-a-days. I guess all the moisture collecting on the evaborator will help keep it clean.

Kids in the alley throw rocks and baseballs.

Niether is a concern. The air filter will do its job and the condenser coil will be fine. Unless you like throwing rocks at it.

My house is end of group and exposed to an alley. It really does need a protective grill. t.

So go down to your local ornimental iron works and have them build you one.

That's what I'm going to do since I can't find one already made.