GE Water Softener Failing

For some time now I have been trying to resolve an issue with my GE water softener in where the brine tank fills up until it overflows. I examined the venturi, but that was only slightly dirty and the problem persisted afterwards. I started a regeneration cycle and I didn't notice anything unusual until the brine draw cycle. I have noticed that there is this rubber valve cover that seems to drop down onto the top of the valve and then stop the brine draw. It looks as though it should be attached to the bottom of the float, but I'm not sure. I have ordered a replacement assembly for the unit as I wasn't able to firmly reattach the rubber valve cover.
I've read others replacing their control valve with a 3rd party assembly. I'd be interested in that as mine seems to be inefficient to begin with.
I had a similar problem, 4 years after initial install. GE recommended a local tech that replaced all rubber seals. I also had a leak from initial install which he repaired. Total $206.00 Ross

the
rubber
stop
jdsal wrote:

When it is in the fill mode you should be able to pick up on the float and stop the fill. That rubber part just sits on the valve and is not attached to the float. I too had problems with my GE softener. Mine would not fill. I found the float rod had stuck to the bottom. All I had to do was pick up on the float rod to break it free.

the
rubber
stop
That 'rubber' washer is meant to stop air from being sucked into the brine system and resin tank when the brine level falls to the level of the washer. It's called an air check. At least that's how it is done on other softeners but they don't use a rubber washer. You may be right and the washer is t obe connected to the float. Lift the whole assembly out of the brine well and clean the seal surface of the washer and plastic. This might not be the problem though. You could have a blocked drain line or injector or it could be that tubing fittings are allowing it to suck air and if it is it can't suck heavy brine. So check the strength of the suction by removing a piece of tubing and covering the end.
Gary Quality Water Associates www.qualitywaterassociates.com Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2