GE Washer Woes: Motor, Transmission, or Pump?

~1996 GE Washer WSPQ4160T2WW

This washer stopped dead in its tracks this weekend and I wonder if its possible to troubleshoot the nature of the problem before I commit to the price of a new motor, or worse. It sounds pretty straight-forward to me, but maybe some of you more experienced putterers can suggest alternatives.

So, with the drum filled with water and the agitator cycle started, we opened the lid, added some bleach and closed the lid again. The agitation re-started, but only very briefly before there was a loud 'motor seized' kind of buzz, followed by a plume of smoke and a whiff of burnt something. It happened pretty fast so I'm not sure whether the noise stopped on its own or when we re-opened the lid. I was able to reproduce the noise once, maybe twice. In any case, stepping through the various timer cycles now succeeds only in opening the water valves.

There's nothing visibly burnt, arced, or melted behind the front panel. The rest of the wires and terminals that I can see appear to be undisturbed. It bothers me that I couldn't set the timer to pump the water out of the drum, but I would bet against a massive failure that took out both the motor and the pump.

As it stands now, the washer is mostly unassembled, save for buying/renting a wrench to remove the drum and then the motor. My questions are these:

1) Will replacing/repairing the motor fix the problem? 2) Is it normal for the pump not to work if the motor doesn't? 3) What am I missing?

Thanks for any responses, Ben

Reply to
B.Palmer

What do you need you don't have? The drum is simply three cap screws into the casting--9/16" head iirc, although they may now be metric.

Likely, although did you simply check for a blocked pump (the small sock or some such sucked into the intake) and a thermal overload?

What's going to turn the pump if the motor isn't working?

Checking that the transmission will rotate freely so that it isn't the cause of the seizure comes to mind.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Hi,

Only testing can provide an answer to that.

Nope.

Unkown. Possible bad lid switch, burnt wire in the harness, burnt wire in the consol.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid