ge washer problem

the agitator was sounding loud so I took it off to check the problem and I noticed that the shaft underneath it is really loose. if i hold it up and straight it seems to be tight enough but if i let it drop a

1/16" or so it is loose. it seems to have alot of clearance around the top of the shaft where it comes through the tub. is this supposed to be a bearing or bushing? it seems as though it is just a large nut but may have had a bushing in it. If it needs a new bearing/bushing, is this something that can be DIY or will i have to have it done? Any help would be appreciated. thanx in advance.
Reply to
crawler30

suggest you provide a model number and/or check ge site

Reply to
LouB

Can't tell too much without a look, maybe it needs new cogs. These catch the rotating mechanism then release the agitator. If so, easy to replace.

Reply to
Phisherman