GE Washer overfills

We have a GE washer about ten years old, GE still makes the model. Only on the largest setting and only on the cold rinse, the fill doesn't stop and the tub overflows. There is switch that sets the capacity (water level) which I'm leaning toward as the problem but then it should overfill on the wash cycle also. This is the first problem in ten years so we don't want to replace it.
Oh and when the washer is out for repairs I'll be putting in an overflow pan ($25) and drain, even though the laundry room is on a slab.
Any thoughts or experience?
Howard wrote:

First place many people go to for competent help and parts is repairclinic.com. Odds are they'll know what you need and have the parts to fix it. Good luck
Joe
If the washer won't stop filling, even when you turn it off or unplug it, then the proplem is in the fill valve.
If the above doesn't cover your problem, then the fill level is controlled by two components: the pressure switch or the tub that connects it to the tub. Here are the possible options:
1. Problem with the switch itself. Remove the tube and blow into it. If you hear a click, it probably isn't the culprit. 2. Tube has a cut in it, or has come off at the switch. 3. The nipple where it connects to the tub is blocked by debris. This last option is more rare than the others, and might possibly require removal of the basket to clear out the debris.
Somewhat off-topic, we have a GE washer that spills water all over the floor when a large load is washed AND the "wash/spin" speed is set to high. Guess it goes too fast. Only a half a gallo or so spills. Clothes come out very very spun and take no time to dry !
Roger61 can pop the front off (putty knife releases clips between front and top), and look at the unit during spin to see where the water is coming from. Is it spinning it over the top? That is very unusual.