GE stops making its iconic bulb in the U.S.

Page 2 of 3

That's why we bought one. SWMBO has a number of titles for which there is no DVD.

Retro-PC look? ;-)

I believe there are places that transfer tapes to DVDs. you get a better life out of a DVD,I believe,because tape suffers from print-thru,each play degrades it a little bit,it accumulates over time. since this is for personal use,you don't have any copyright violations.
there are even VCR/DVD recorder/players,that can do the transfer.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Oh,I thought the copy protection schemes allowed one copy,and encoded the copy so that further copying would be blocked. (of course professional decks can unlock that...)
maybe your friend can make an "exception" for you? B-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 09:18:25 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

You can buy any one of several popular combo units that will dub back and forth. I own a Sony RDR-VX 525 that has one touch dubbing both ways and works very well.

Apparently, not everyone shares your enthusiasm:
http://tinyurl.com/22juyvs
Myself, I wouldn't give you 5 cents for a Sony CD/DVD product. The last one I bought was junk! Cost $250 and didn't even work as well or have as many features as my SILs $50 Walmart Emerson model. At one point I got so pissed at its crappy performance, I tossed out my 2nd story window and watched it explode into a thousand pieces on my concrete driveway. It was the ONLY time it ever did what it was supposed to do. ;)
nb
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:06:07 +0000, notbob wrote:

I wouldn't want your 5 cents, that would leave you broke.

Gads! The horror! I've been publicly trounced. My ego crushed, my self esteem in shambles. I'll never reach my life goals, no matter how hard I try. My life is OVER!!
....as if.
(try again, kid, after you've been weaned)
nb
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:38:45 +0000, notbob wrote:

No need to thank me. You'll catch up with the adults one day, kid.

I still haven't forgiven Sony for the virus.. er "CD Copy Protection program" that instituted a few years ago.
and name it after the IRS.

I can't imagine a business that would admit to copyright violations.

...of unprotected media.
On 10/3/2010 12:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

For a library, converting to digital might make sense (and they have ways to do it legally). For an individual, converting precious family records might make sense. But for an individual, converting old movies they may watch once a year when they are bored, makes no sense. If somebody doesn't still have a working VCR in the stack, they are available at thrift stores for five bucks. As I mentioned in a previous post, tapes can be had at garage sales (and thrift stores) etc, quite cheaply. Most libraries also have extensive VHS libraries, most of which will never get updated to DVD because they are old releases. If you have kids, old tapes and a VCR can be real cheap entertainment on rainy weekends, snow days, etc.
--
aem sends...

We have a DVDR (hard disk recorder w/ DVD writer). It won't copy factory written tapes. That was the reason we bought a VCR a couple of years ago. No kids in the house (or grand-kids, yet). My wife has a small set of old movies she likes to watch, though. Some of them were only released to tape once and never to DVD.

I've got four 1/4 meg RAM sticks, would they fit or is your RAM built on-board.. <G>
On 10/2/2010 12:59 PM, Oren wrote:

Individual socketed chips, 9 chips per bank. Max 640k, once you found the daughter board that fit in an ISA slot. Remember those long plastic tubes the chips came in? I still have a couple full tubes stashed at work, leftover visual aids from a class I used to teach once a year. Some idiot threw out all the later memory chips, and the CPUs, that went with it. I used to set them up on the front table in timeline fashion, to explain Moore's law to these non-techies, and how the hardware they were supporting for end-users had changed. Some of those later 486 and early pentium chips could have been made into jewelry- those rows of gold-plated pins were downright pretty.
--
aem sends...

I've opened plenty of the "old machines" and marveled at them. Seems like the hard drives weighed 10 lbs. and would make a good door stop. Never started working PC's until the 286, just before the 386. Been building my own machines ever since.
I've seen different items made from parts. Peoples imagination can be funny.
Here are two "bugs".
http://www.snipe.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bugs.jpg
On 10/2/2010 5:20 PM, Oren wrote:

Do you remember the old ads for mainframes where artists made whole sets of animals out of discrete components?
http://www.dvq.com/ads/honeywell_dm_4-70.jpg
http://www.dvq.com/ads/honeywell_115_dm_4_70.jpg
http://www.dvq.com/ads/acm/honeywell_acm_72.pdf
Found at:
http://www.dvq.com/oldcomp/oldads.htm
TDD
On 10/2/2010 6:30 AM, A. Baum wrote:

The light bulb police will show up and confiscate them. Just wait and see, someday a neighbor or brainwashed family member will turn you in.
TDD
On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 08:17:33 -0500, The Daring Dufas

The DEA cops will see his unreasonable electric bill on a database query and bust down his doors thinking he's growing weed.

Do you have room? Isn't your investment storage unit filled to the ceiling with CRT monitors/tvs, phonograph players, betamax vcrs, and circuit city divx players?
AZ Nomad wrote:

All joking aside, I am seriously considering stockpiling at least 100 boxes of bulbs. Probably get 70 boxes of 60W, 30 boxes of 40W.
That'd give me 400 bulbs, for about a hundred bucks. Should last the rest of my life.
Would take a bit of space to store them, though. I wonder how they would do in an attic?
Jon