GE SpaceMaker Microwave Venting Outside not pulling very much air?

Last year we had a handyman vent our GE spacemaker to the outside; howerver, the vent is not pulling much air. It is pushing a lot of air out. We had the same model in our last house and it sucked air like crazy. Any thoughts before I go an take the microwave down and look at it?

Daniel

Reply to
ddivita

If you put a tissue by the vent and it gets pulled, chances are its working properly.Make sure the filters are not dirty.

Reply to
Mikepier

Tried that. It is not pulling any air

Reply to
ddivita

There are 2 ways to vent outside on those units: to the back and on top. Whatever opening is not used, usually there is a blank plate on it. Is it possible the blank plate was not put back, and maybe thats why you are losing suction at the bottom? The only way you are going to know is when you take down the unit. Also make sure the blower motor is oriented correctly depending which way you vent out. There are 3 ways it could be oriented for: top venting, back venting, and self venting. If you look on GE's website in one of the owners manual it will explain more in detail. But then again, you said it was pushing air out, so maybe it is correct, but just check anyway.

Reply to
Mikepier

Sorry I am just getting back to you, byt thanks for your help. I am going to look at it this week! One thing I noticed, is that if I put towels over the vent facing the kitchen (at the top of the microwave) I get some suction. So something is missing inside, for sure.

Daniel

Daniel

Reply to
ddivita

responding to

padrigue wrote: Hi Daniel,

It appears that you experienced the very same issue I'm having. The output vent blows a bodacious amount of air. The intake over the oven, however takes in almost nothing. The vent into the kitchen is also sucking in just a wee tiny bit.

The fans are oriented to blow outside via the back of the unit. According to the installation manual, everything is properly in place.

What was your solution?

Cheers,

-Patrick

Reply to
padrigue

Pat,

This was from 2008.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

responding to

padrigue wrote: Yeah, I realize this is very old. Unfortunately it is the only information I've found that remotely describes my situation. In fact it exactly describes the symptoms I'm experiencing, and I just can't figure it out. I think maybe there is a missing piece or something. Anyhow, if Daniel figured it out and he gets email notifications at the same place he did 5 years ago, there is a chance he can help me out... Or perhaps somebody that notices this thread has been brought back to life will have some insight.

Cheers

Reply to
padrigue

responding to

padrigue wrote: Ping... anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
padrigue

If it were me, unless I could see exactly how it's connected, vented to the outside, etc, I would take it down. They are only held by a few screws. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's not really connected properly to the outside vent. I'd compare what I see to what the manual shows.

Reply to
trader4