GE Silicone II Sucks!!

Page 1 of 2

This is the worst silicone I have ever used in my life. I bought two tubes with fresh batch codes and they don't cure after 48 hours. I had to clean this crap out twice already on my 85lb sink and its not fun. GE needs to get their head out of their butt and stop selling inferior product to the public. As far as I'm concerned I will never buy another GE product for the rest of my life and I will continue encorouging others to do the same in my social gatherings.
PS. I called their Customer Service and vented to them and they said the complaint is being forwarded on to the right people...I hope.
Pissed wrote:

GE anything.......sucks

...especially their appliances....
"John~ "
wrote:

AMEN!!! (shouting!)

You better stop flying then-----a pretty hefty percentage (much more than 50%) of the commercial aircraft flying today have GE engines in them. Just about most of the helicopters and about 90% of the Military fighter aircraft. MLD
MLD wrote:

It has to be the one division of GE that still knows what they are doing then. I had to buy a book to keep my GE washer and dryer going when I had more time than money to replace them. Never again will I own anything made by that division of GE. I think I will search out which airline isn't using GE engines and fly with them now that I know that!
Rich

When we remodeled the kitchen we replace all of our Kenmore appliances with GE. Year 3 the dishwashers motor cooling fan loosened from the shaft and clattered while barely spinning. Called for repair and they diagnosed it within 2 seconds of hearing it and had to replace the motor for nearly $200 because the motor housing was unaccessable. They said that it's a common failure; when it happened again 4 years later I ditched it. The oven was inconsistent and finally would not hold temp. Had to replace the entire 'dashboard' in order to change the thermostat. Suffered through 2 more years of poor performance and ditched it. Still have the fridge that the door shelf guards chronically pop off and drop the contents, the bin drawers won't stay on their tracks but I can't say anything bad about the microwave - oh yea, the work light won't turn off unless you slap the the panel. I was told by the service dept that the repair was not cheap. I wish they'd get some of the jet engineers over to the appliance division for a re-design. Oh well, maybe they've improved in the last 10 years. Could happen.

happen.
NOT!!!

"I think I will search out which airline isn't using

Don't waste your time--every airline, including foreign ones, use GE engines. If you were to be selective than your travel plans would become a nightmare. Look for Pratt & Whitney or Rolls Royce powered aircraft but they'll be hard to find. Next time you board look at the nacelle for the GE Monogram, always gives me that extra level of confidence I'll get where I'm going. MLD
MLD wrote:

Guess you do not know that GE sold it's silicone business?
avid_hiker wrote:

But if you don't want to buy their lightbulbs, I would advise to use those of the other two of the "Big Three" (those are Sylvania and Philips). And for 40-100 watt A19 ones, store brand ones having same hour life expectancy figures and same lumen light output figures as "Big 3" ones actually are "The Real Thing". Non-Big3-ones in my experience tend to produce less light, have a higher rate of falling short of claimed light output, and have a higher rate of falling short of claimed life expectancy.
But among the "Big 3", I have been disappointed by GE more than others.
Example 1: 2006 was the first year that I saw an A19 with a coiled-coil filament (as opposed to singly coiled) about 2-2.5 cm (.8-1 inch long), typical of the A19's with higher light output than other 19's, made in China. Before now, such lightbulbs sold in USA that I saw were made in North America - mainly USA and Canada, as best as I can tell. The made-in-China A19 with a coiled-coil filament was a GE.
Example 2: Spiral compact fluorescents, nominal wattage 25 watts, purchased in 2001: (First, I have yet to hear of an easily available spiral compact fluorescent no matter how bad or how good made anywhere except China.) I got these, both of GE and Lights of America brand, one of them LOA and two of them GE. All failed in only a few hundred operating hours. The GE one was the only compact fluorescent that I ever got more than one of and where I experienced a 100% early failure rate. All other early failures that I ever had were non-Big3, mainly "dollar store brands" and LOA.
Example 3: Well, that was back in 1992. Maybe it's not really fair to hold that one against them much now. It was a compact fluorescent known as the FLB15. It fell short of claimed light output more than I ever saw in any other "Big 3" compact fluorescent, both in my experience and in an article in a well-known magazine. It fell short worse than usual of "Non big-3" ones other than the even-worse dollar store ones. (However, I still find GE's average in CFLs record of meeting claimed light output better than that of average of non-Big3 even of non-dollar-store brands.)
On 12/10/06 08:12 pm Don Klipstein wrote:

<snip>
I made the mistake of buying Sylvania lightbulbs a few years back. Out of a pack of six, one popped as soon as I switched it on, and two burned out within hours.
Perce

Maybe it means they are down the hall to the right...

I ran into a similar problem and then discovered that there is an expiration date on these tubes. The one I had was out of date. Returned it to Home Depot and got another (in date by several years) and didn't have repeat of the problem. MLD

Oops, I wouldn't vent, people tend to not care at that point. Especially if you make it seem like you will never be their customer again. :D
Just guessing....
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Yep, I agree, it blows. I used some around some new doors I installed. It was suppose to be "paintable". Yeah, right. Paint fell off. I used another tube of GE II caulk that was suppose to be white. Well, it WAS white........until it dried that is. Then it turned clear. I swore that crap off and have used other brands and been happy.

I do not consider silicone rubber paintable. If someone claims that their silicone rubber is paintable, then that alerts my "BS Detector" that there is some hype going on. Maybe there is some paint that paints silicone rubber somewhat well, and maybe there are stiuations where most paint will stay on most silicones, but I usually consider silicone rubber in general not really supporting paint.
However, as to white drying clear, I have had GE white silicone, and in my experience it stayed white.
I have had GE "Silicone II", and my complaints are not sticking as well and not curing as well as other silicones that produce an acetic acid odor when I used them. Keep in mind that a thick layer of either of these can take half of forever to cure! The acetic-acid-emitting ones, in thicker layers, tend to form a "skin" of cured silicone that could be slowing the curing of what's underneath - but at least if you touch it lightly, it's dry!

When a product didn't perform as I wanted, I contact the company. A few times, they will request the product back (for QA) and replace it free.
IMHO, I would contact the maker, via the address on the tube.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
As stated earlier I already did. They want me to pay shipping back! I decided to go to Ace Hardware and they gave me their 50 year sealant which is highly rated on the net. Low and behold it works as expected. GE said they forwarded my comments today to QA and Ace has removed all GE Silicone II from the shelves. Personally if I was the store owner I would stop carrying GE adhesive products altogether.