ge oven - no bake, no broil

GE gas range 14 years old, model jgbp30bew1ad. No heat on bake, no heat on broil, stove works fine. Last time the oven worked, it gave a pop noise and then stopped working; visual inspection of the igniter shows the igniter melted a hole in the flame spreader (maybe because the repairman who replaced the igniter 7 months ago told me he always points the igniter up towards the spreader to give "a nice long flame") and this drop of molten metal landed on the igniter during baking, shorting the inner core to the metal shield. I called the repairman, he put in a new bake igniter but still no flame on bake nor on broil. He quickly measured no voltage at the gas valve, but didn't try to diagnose it further. After he left I pulled out and measured the new igniter and it's 838 ohms (is that too high)?

Is it likely the gas valve burnt out, on both bake and broil, due to this shorting out of the bake igniter? Or maybe it's the control board? I still hear a relay click on when I turn the oven knob on for bake, same for broil. And even self-clean cycle indicators light up and it starts a count-down, of course there's no heat in the oven...Maybe just the thermostat? Or is it just time to get a new range...

Thanks.

Reply to
rachelms79

Most likely a safety/sensor of some sort that will not allow the valve to open. At 14 years, you may want to consider replacing rather than put a couple of hundred into diagnostics and repair. Sure, it can last another five or ten years, but just don't dump a tone of $$$.

You may want to check out

for some diagnostics.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski