GE mini-fridge no longer cools

The 4.3 cu.ft. fridge SMR04DASACS -- maybe 10 years old -- that we keep in the basement for our reserve stock of OJ, milk and eggs has quit cooling. I hear the temperature control click as I turn the knob, but there is no sound that would indicate that the compressor is running, and the compressor unit is cold (I mean room-temperature cold), again indicating that it is not running.

Am I correct in thinking that it's not worth trying to do anything with it?

Even if I could pinpoint the exact problem, I don't see replacement temperature controls or circuit boards listed anywhere.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

If it has a cap for the motor, that might be worth a check. They are common, generic, cheap.

Reply to
trader_4

I got about the same life out of mine. I put it at the curb in front of my house one morning with a note attached stating the problem and welcoming any tinkerer to take it home.

It was gone by lunch time and I didn't have to worry about getting rid of it.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I had unplugged it then plugged it in again, and when I went to check for a capacitor I found that the compressor was warm and the cooling coils had ice. Unplugging and powering up again must have reset something.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy