GE Microwave

Pink, though, not red. The fat has to be converted.

Cajun is a lot more than that, no? I love it, like that, with a ton of black pepper.

I don't cook. When I was living by myself last year (in the process of a move) I survived on pot pies, frozen pizza, and fish sticks. :-( I did go home for the weekend.

I thought about buying a smoker.

Not fond of ribeyes. I'd much rather have a NY strip or even just a sirloin.

My wife buys seasonings from Williams Sonoma. It's pretty good but they seem to get tired of carrying some stuff and have to change it.

Reply to
krw

I haven't added salt to any food for over thirty years. No need. Most is too salty already.

I'm leaving, already! Just let me get my drink out of the 'fridge and I'll get back to the game!

Reply to
krw

Yes, that is what I said. I knew what I said and stand by it. You do not seem to be able to comprehend it though.

I was speaking in generalities, you are talking specifics. First was steak, though I never mentioned steak because that is best done of the grill. Yes, aside from the outer crust prime rib can be done in the MW and now with convection combos, you can get some crust on them. Ours has a "fast bake' option.

No shit, I never said it. If you read what I wrote and what you re posted, you'd see that. It works best on some cuts such as a round roast.

Some cuts don't need that same crustiness and some MW can give it to you. Sorry that you are unaware of the capabilities of some appliances. Oh, I forgot, if you've never seen it, it does not exist.

Pretty small actually, but we do some. As I stated, 98% of mw owners do not know how to do it. Yes, you can get the gradient from the well done outer portion to the more rare inner portion. It does not have to be the ugly gray of many years ago.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In general microwaves are a very poor choice for cooking meat.

First was

Show us a recipe for prime rib from any major food website. Have you ever seen a pro chef cook a prime rib in a microwave? If a microwave can do the job "very well", why are there no recipes and no chefs doing it? Oh, I know they are just the 98% that don't know how to use a microwave, right?

You said that one can cook meat "very well" in a microwave and that anyone that doesn't agree is among the 98% that don't know how to use one. You said the only issue is you don't get a "crust".

In my world, not getting a sear, where you now apparently admit is where a lot of the flavor comes from, is *not* cooking "very well".

If you could cook meet very well in a microwave, there would be recipes on all the major food websites, FoodTV for example, on how to cook a beef roast in a microwave. The fact that they don't says enough. I guess they as well as every pro chef I've ever seen recipes from apparently are in the 98%.

Yet those same food websites do have some microwave recipes for vegetables, melting chocolate, making some deserts, etc. So, apparently they do know what a microwave does very well and what it doesn't.

Just because you say it's true, while 98% of the world say you're wrong, doesn't make it true. Go to a major food recipe website, like FoodTV and show us some recipes for making a beef roast using a microwave. Should be easy to do.

That's because no one knows how to make a roast in a microwave like they can in a conventional oven. Including you apparently, because if you can cook beef in it "very well", then why aren't you doing it?

 Yes, you can get the gradient from the well

Sure, show us the recipes.

Reply to
trader4

I never said it was the BEST choice, but it can do some meats very well.

I never said it was the BEST choice, but it can do some meats very well. Yes, I prefer my rib roast in the oven or on the grill.

If a microwave can do

To do it best, you should use the probe. Remember the beginning of this discussion involved having a temperature probe? The equipment was dumbed down and made cheaper.

I never said it was the BEST choice, but it can do some meats very well. No, you don't get the outer crust in most, but with a convection oven you can do so now.

Depends on the meat and the particular cut. Do you crust your fish? Probably not and it is also easily done in a microwave. If you take the time to find out the best way.

I've not looked, but here are a couple of quick links

Come on over and I'll make a roast beef dinner for you. I bet you'll be surprised at how good the beef it. It won't be a steak, it won't be a rib roast, but probably a round roast. How do you like your beef? Medium rare? It can be done and it won't be gray.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Then show us the recipes from some of the real food websites for microwave cooking a roast beef.

Well duh... Then why did you say the MW can cook meats "very well" and claim that I'm in the 98% that don't know how to run one when I said they can't? I would say your standard for very well is different than mine and a whole lot of other folks.

Show us the recipes from any of the major food websites, like FoodTV for cooking a beef roast in the microwave, with or without a probe.....

And don't those "convection microwaves" add resistance heating or quartz lamps? In other words, they are trying to turn the microwave into part conventional oven to overcome the BIG problems with microwave cooking. So, why put the $30 roast in there to begin with, when even you admit a conventional oven does a better job?

Fish meat. And yes, for some types of fish, I like a sear on it, crispy skin on salmon for example.

I said a credible food website, like FoodTV. Ehow is *not* a food or cooking website, ie it's not where folks go for recipes.

Link is incomplete and didn't work.

The point is you don't even use a microwave to cook beef regularly yourself. And you now admit that the microwave isn't the best cooking option. THAT is why you don't use it. And in my world that doesn't equate to a microwave cooking meats "very well". That is why 98% of folks don't use a microwave to cook beef, not because we don't know how one works.

Reply to
trader4

I said it because it can. Is I stated, I'll cook it for you and make you a believer. Very well does not mean "best". I never said it was best. Sorry you don't know the difference.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think this centers around your perception of "very well" Clearly "very well" doesn't equate to all that much, because you yourself indicated you don't usually cook meat in the MW. If it does such a mighty fine job, why aren't you using it? And it's not like that "best" method requires some exotic, expensive piece of equipment. It's just using the conventional oven that virtually every kitchen has.

Sorry that you think people who don't agree that MWs don't cook meats "very well" just don't know how they work. That 98% group would include all the pro chefs.

Reply to
trader4

I'll use a microwave in conjunction with the oven. I'll cook meat part way in the microwave then use the oven to finish it up and brown it. In the Summertime it helps keep the heat load down for the AC and it also reduces cook time. Last night I used my microwave pasta cooker and the pasta was ready in 20 minutes which is half the time it would take to prepare it in a pot on the stove. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It is easier to just toss a roast in the oven and set it for 400 degrees. The MW will give me 80% to 90% as good but it takes more setup of the cooking cycle. Just because something is good does not mean it is practical.

Yep, I never said the MW is better. Ovens are really easy to use.

Stand by that. I've done it, I've eaten and enjoyed the finished product. As I said, there are equal or better and easier methods, but that still does not mean the mw does not work well. Since you've never had a roast from it, you are just talking out you ass with nothing to support your contention. I have real like experience

Ever watch people using a microwave? Most will just set the timer and let it rip. Very few people use multiple power settings and allow proper waiting time. The mw was touted as a miracle fast cooking methods. It is faster and very good for some items, but it is not the best for everything. It also takes a little thought to use the proper technique. It just is not done. I've observed this many times for many years.

Next up, baked potatoes. Why the oven is better than the mw. Yes, I sometimes nuke a spud, but it is not as good as a real oven baked potato. No wrapping in foil either like some of the pro chefs in restaurants do. I'm willing to compromise at times though, 8 minutes versus and hour to cook (not bake) a spud in the mw.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You yourself said that you don't usually use the MW to cook meat. That and the fact that every pro chef I've ever heard of NEVER says to cook meet in a MW are compelling evidence that it really doesn't cook meat "very well". Show us any recognized chef that says MW are good for cooking meats...... The fact that you can't come up with a recipe for a beef roast using a MW at any major food recipe website, eg FoodTV is further compelling evidence. If it really does cook beef "very well", where are the recipes? Maybe you just don't have a very discriminating palate.

Reply to
trader4

Until you taste it, you are just blowing smoke out your ass. I really don't care about your opinion. I've eaten it and facts trump your shortsighted opinion based solely on your perceptions..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Obviously you do care about my opinion, because here you are again. It's not just MY opinion. Do you see anyone else here agreeing that you can cook meat "very well" in a microwave? Advocating using it for cooking a roast? See any professional chef ever recommend doing it? Where are all the recipes from say FoodTV. I guess they are all just shortsighted and blowing smoke too.......

Reply to
trader4