GE Microwave

I do, about half of the times I use the MW. More often than not, just to heat liquid to a particular temp. It doesn't matter what temp the liquid is to start with, how much there is, or exactly what the liquid is--I just punch in the temp I want, and wait for the bell.

The wife still eats potatoes and popcorn, and those cook well in the MW. Of course you could argue that's not cooking, but rather just heating.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of any real cooking that I do in the MW--mostly just heating things up to a nice eating temp. I used to scramble eggs and cook them in the MW, but not anymore--it's just to rude to the fats in the yolks.

Reply to
croy

That is about all I cook in the MW also. Just warm up other things.

I found on the internet to put corn on the cob, shucks and all for 4 minuits per ear. Cut off the end away from the silk and then pull it out of the shuck, silk and all while still hot. Some of the best corn I have ever eaten.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Have you ever seen a professional chef at any restaurant even the local crap diner, cook a steak in a microwave? Can you produce a steak that tastes and looks like these in a microwave?

-los-angeles/

You acknowledged that you don't get an outside sear. That sear is what produces the Maillard reaction that gives proteins a lot of their taste. Why do you think, for example, that when you're making braised short ribs, or even chili, you BROWN the meat first? Why do you think you deglaze a pan to get the brown bits when making a sauce? It's not just about looks, there is a tremendous amount of flavor coming from the searing process. To most people the look of the piece of beef is very important too. Not having that seared surface, you lose all that potential flavor. And sorry, but it looks like crap too. What's next? Boiling it?

From your comments, I'll have to put you in the category of those that have no idea of what food should taste like, what it should look like and how to cook.

Reply to
trader4

Try just putting corn on the grill without removing the husks. Rotate occasionally for about 20 mins. The outside will get brown to black. Then allow to cool a bit, remove the husks and enjoy. It's the simplest and best process I've found.

Reply to
trader4

Did I say steak? No, I did not. You are being rather specific about one of thousands of possibilities, but people do cook other cuts of meat and other animals. While I like crispy skin on chicken, many people toss it and just eat the inside meat. For them, proper microwave cooking works just fine.

I've been cooking for 60+ years and can turn out restaurant quality foods. I know all about browning and for that reason I don't own a crockpot. But to say it is not possible to cook a good piece of meat in a microwave just shows your lack of knowledge. You'd be amazed at what can be done when you know how. Just because you've never seen something does not mean it does not exist.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't know of a single chef anywhere that would cook a chicken in a microwave either. Might as well boil it.

I'd use a crockpot long before a microwave to cook meat in. So would any chef. Braising is a recognized and widely used method of cooking meat. Restaurants do it. The top chefs of the world do it. They do not however cook meat in a microwave.

I'd say it says more about what you don't know and your lack of cooking skills. If cooking meat in a microwave is a fine idea, then why exactly isn't it done? Everyone just ignorant of the new miracle invention, except you and the folks selling microwaves? The chefs of the world have adopted and use just about ANY cooking technique that works and that produces top quality food. The fact that chefs don't use microwaves to cook meat speaks volumes. Any pro chef would laugh you out of the kitchen if you told them you were going to cook beef in a microwave. Or, if you have one professional chef that agrees with you, who we would recognize, I'd love to see the reference.

Reply to
trader4

+1

Beef is intended to be broiled, not boiled.

Reply to
krw

Sorry about your comprehension skills. I never said it was the best method. I never said top chefs should adopt that method. Yes, there are better methods.

What I did say was that it can be done as an acceptable method if you know how. You brought up steaks. I do mine on an 800 degree grill, yet you use that as a demonstration of making gray meat. No, you don't cook steaks in a MW.

Sorry, but I'm speaking from experience, you are speaking from a closed mind that has never seen a decent piece of meat from a microwave. There are valid reasons to poach chicken and fish. That can be handled with the MW and be a bit more flavorful.

Quite a few people do bacon in the mw as it can be made crispy. I still prefer my frying methods though.

Just because you have never seen something does not mean it does not exist.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

For those I use the old corningware stuff. I always add a little water like your suppose to do. I do other frozen veggies all the time. Those don't need water. I used to do fish and meats. Always thaw my frozen meats.

I still have my 1971 Heathkit microwave cooking book !!! I don't have the microwave.

Wasn't till recently found out my panasonic actually has power settings, and does not go into off on mode until you select power 3 or lower.

I finally have a plastic butter dish for cooking hot dogs. The steam gets the whole dog.

Most commercial microwaves do not have a rotating table, but they probably still have mixer blades that spun in the waveguide output.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Applebees cooks their food in the microwave. Well it's already cooked. I'm not sure if they really have a grill.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I had some norelco microwaves, from the 70's that had browning element and temperature probe. I never used used them because the controller was faulty, so I switched o a manual mechanical timer. Of course my turbo/microwave can used either function. The turbo "convection", takes too long to preheat and I don't use.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The beef I put in my chicken soup, yes beef, comes out delicious. Probably better than fast cook because of the toughness if you fried it. So tender. Dip in brown mustard.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

And on March 17th, millions of people will be eating boiled beef. Sad, huh.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"The biggest downside is you get no crust in a MW. Aside from that, you actually can cook a beef roast to the doneness you desire and a more rare interior, just like a regular oven. You have to get past the no outer crustiness though. "

If cooking can be done "very well" in a microwave, where are all the recipes that say to make prime rib, for example, you put it in the oven? You would think there would be recipes all over the place that say to cook prime rib, you can put it in the oven or the microwave. Yet the only place I've ever seen any such recommendation is from recipe books from microwave oven manufacturers.

And you make it sound like the lack of a "crust" is just a minor thing. As I've tried to point out, that searing that you can't get in a microwave is where a lot of the flavor comes from. That's why chefs focus on those brown bits. Cook a prime rib in the oven and you get that. Cook it in a microwave and you don't. And that sear makes the meat look good too. Can you cook a piece of meat if all you want is something that is sub-standard? sure.

So, bottom line, what percent of your cooking of meat do you routinely do in a microwave?

Reply to
trader4

They don't cook even that in a microwave either do they? They do use the microwave to reheat it though.....

Reply to
trader4

There are reasons I don't eat at Applebees. There are too many places that serve real food to bother with those that don't.

Reply to
krw

Fried? You really don't like meat, do you?

Reply to
krw

No one said the Irish had a sense of taste. Haggis? Really?!!

Reply to
krw

You sound like SWMBO. As long as it's not mooing, it's perfect for her. I prefer it at least warmed enough so the grease runs off.

You must be a Brit. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Cow should be served charred on the outside and warm pink on the inside. ;-)

Reply to
krw