GE Microwave

Page 2 of 3

.

That is about all I cook in the MW also. Just warm up other things.
I found on the internet to put corn on the cob, shucks and all for 4 minuits per ear. Cut off the end away from the silk and then pull it out of the shuck, silk and all while still hot. Some of the best corn I have ever eaten.

Try just putting corn on the grill without removing the husks. Rotate occasionally for about 20 mins. The outside will get brown to black. Then allow to cool a bit, remove the husks and enjoy. It's the simplest and best process I've found.

For those I use the old corningware stuff. I always add a little water like your suppose to do. I do other frozen veggies all the time. Those don't need water. I used to do fish and meats. Always thaw my frozen meats.
I still have my 1971 Heathkit microwave cooking book !!! I don't have the microwave.
Wasn't till recently found out my panasonic actually has power settings, and does not go into off on mode until you select power 3 or lower.
I finally have a plastic butter dish for cooking hot dogs. The steam gets the whole dog.
Most commercial microwaves do not have a rotating table, but they probably still have mixer blades that spun in the waveguide output.
Greg

Have you ever seen a professional chef at any restaurant even the local crap diner, cook a steak in a microwave? Can you produce a steak that tastes and looks like these in a microwave?
http://www.on-stjohn.com/2009/05/05/villa-vittles-steak/
http://thesuiteworld.com/dining/mastros-beverly-hills-best-steak-steakhouse -los-angeles/
You acknowledged that you don't get an outside sear. That sear is what produces the Maillard reaction that gives proteins a lot of their taste. Why do you think, for example, that when you're making braised short ribs, or even chili, you BROWN the meat first? Why do you think you deglaze a pan to get the brown bits when making a sauce? It's not just about looks, there is a tremendous amount of flavor coming from the searing process. To most people the look of the piece of beef is very important too. Not having that seared surface, you lose all that potential flavor. And sorry, but it looks like crap too. What's next? Boiling it?
From your comments, I'll have to put you in the category of those that have no idea of what food should taste like, what it should look like and how to cook.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:02:54 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Did I say steak? No, I did not. You are being rather specific about one of thousands of possibilities, but people do cook other cuts of meat and other animals. While I like crispy skin on chicken, many people toss it and just eat the inside meat. For them, proper microwave cooking works just fine.

I've been cooking for 60+ years and can turn out restaurant quality foods. I know all about browning and for that reason I don't own a crockpot. But to say it is not possible to cook a good piece of meat in a microwave just shows your lack of knowledge. You'd be amazed at what can be done when you know how. Just because you've never seen something does not mean it does not exist.

I don't know of a single chef anywhere that would cook a chicken in a microwave either. Might as well boil it.

I'd use a crockpot long before a microwave to cook meat in. So would any chef. Braising is a recognized and widely used method of cooking meat. Restaurants do it. The top chefs of the world do it. They do not however cook meat in a microwave.

I'd say it says more about what you don't know and your lack of cooking skills. If cooking meat in a microwave is a fine idea, then why exactly isn't it done? Everyone just ignorant of the new miracle invention, except you and the folks selling microwaves? The chefs of the world have adopted and use just about ANY cooking technique that works and that produces top quality food. The fact that chefs don't use microwaves to cook meat speaks volumes. Any pro chef would laugh you out of the kitchen if you told them you were going to cook beef in a microwave. Or, if you have one professional chef that agrees with you, who we would recognize, I'd love to see the reference.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:41:23 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Sorry about your comprehension skills. I never said it was the best method. I never said top chefs should adopt that method. Yes, there are better methods.
What I did say was that it can be done as an acceptable method if you know how. You brought up steaks. I do mine on an 800 degree grill, yet you use that as a demonstration of making gray meat. No, you don't cook steaks in a MW.
Sorry, but I'm speaking from experience, you are speaking from a closed mind that has never seen a decent piece of meat from a microwave. There are valid reasons to poach chicken and fish. That can be handled with the MW and be a bit more flavorful.
Quite a few people do bacon in the mw as it can be made crispy. I still prefer my frying methods though.
Just because you have never seen something does not mean it does not exist.

Here is what you said:
"Microwave cooking can be done very well if you use the proper techniques. I'd say 98% of the owners have no idea how to use one properly, what different power settings are for, importance of waiting time, etc. "
"The biggest downside is you get no crust in a MW. Aside from that, you actually can cook a beef roast to the doneness you desire and a more rare interior, just like a regular oven. You have to get past the no outer crustiness though. "
If cooking can be done "very well" in a microwave, where are all the recipes that say to make prime rib, for example, you put it in the oven? You would think there would be recipes all over the place that say to cook prime rib, you can put it in the oven or the microwave. Yet the only place I've ever seen any such recommendation is from recipe books from microwave oven manufacturers.
And you make it sound like the lack of a "crust" is just a minor thing. As I've tried to point out, that searing that you can't get in a microwave is where a lot of the flavor comes from. That's why chefs focus on those brown bits. Cook a prime rib in the oven and you get that. Cook it in a microwave and you don't. And that sear makes the meat look good too. Can you cook a piece of meat if all you want is something that is sub-standard? sure.
So, bottom line, what percent of your cooking of meat do you routinely do in a microwave?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 05:28:06 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Yes, that is what I said. I knew what I said and stand by it. You do not seem to be able to comprehend it though.

I was speaking in generalities, you are talking specifics. First was steak, though I never mentioned steak because that is best done of the grill. Yes, aside from the outer crust prime rib can be done in the MW and now with convection combos, you can get some crust on them. Ours has a "fast bake' option.

No shit, I never said it. If you read what I wrote and what you re posted, you'd see that. It works best on some cuts such as a round roast.

Some cuts don't need that same crustiness and some MW can give it to you. Sorry that you are unaware of the capabilities of some appliances. Oh, I forgot, if you've never seen it, it does not exist.

Pretty small actually, but we do some. As I stated, 98% of mw owners do not know how to do it. Yes, you can get the gradient from the well done outer portion to the more rare inner portion. It does not have to be the ugly gray of many years ago.

In general microwaves are a very poor choice for cooking meat.
First was

Show us a recipe for prime rib from any major food website. Have you ever seen a pro chef cook a prime rib in a microwave? If a microwave can do the job "very well", why are there no recipes and no chefs doing it? Oh, I know they are just the 98% that don't know how to use a microwave, right?

You said that one can cook meat "very well" in a microwave and that anyone that doesn't agree is among the 98% that don't know how to use one. You said the only issue is you don't get a "crust".
In my world, not getting a sear, where you now apparently admit is where a lot of the flavor comes from, is *not* cooking "very well".
If you could cook meet very well in a microwave, there would be recipes on all the major food websites, FoodTV for example, on how to cook a beef roast in a microwave. The fact that they don't says enough. I guess they as well as every pro chef I've ever seen recipes from apparently are in the 98%.
Yet those same food websites do have some microwave recipes for vegetables, melting chocolate, making some deserts, etc. So, apparently they do know what a microwave does very well and what it doesn't.

Just because you say it's true, while 98% of the world say you're wrong, doesn't make it true. Go to a major food recipe website, like FoodTV and show us some recipes for making a beef roast using a microwave. Should be easy to do.

That's because no one knows how to make a roast in a microwave like they can in a conventional oven. Including you apparently, because if you can cook beef in it "very well", then why aren't you doing it?
 Yes, you can get the gradient from the well

Sure, show us the recipes.
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 06:13:20 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I never said it was the BEST choice, but it can do some meats very well.

I never said it was the BEST choice, but it can do some meats very well. Yes, I prefer my rib roast in the oven or on the grill.
If a microwave can do

To do it best, you should use the probe. Remember the beginning of this discussion involved having a temperature probe? The equipment was dumbed down and made cheaper.

I never said it was the BEST choice, but it can do some meats very well. No, you don't get the outer crust in most, but with a convection oven you can do so now.

Depends on the meat and the particular cut. Do you crust your fish? Probably not and it is also easily done in a microwave. If you take the time to find out the best way.

I've not looked, but here are a couple of quick links http://www.ehow.com/how_6173920_cook-meat-microwave.html
http://busycooks.about.com/od/microwaveovens/a/microwavemagic_2.htm http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_editorials/cooking/meat_recipes/tips_of_cooking_meat_in_the_microwave.html

Come on over and I'll make a roast beef dinner for you. I bet you'll be surprised at how good the beef it. It won't be a steak, it won't be a rib roast, but probably a round roast. How do you like your beef? Medium rare? It can be done and it won't be gray.

Then show us the recipes from some of the real food websites for microwave cooking a roast beef.

Well duh... Then why did you say the MW can cook meats "very well" and claim that I'm in the 98% that don't know how to run one when I said they can't? I would say your standard for very well is different than mine and a whole lot of other folks.

Show us the recipes from any of the major food websites, like FoodTV for cooking a beef roast in the microwave, with or without a probe.....

And don't those "convection microwaves" add resistance heating or quartz lamps? In other words, they are trying to turn the microwave into part conventional oven to overcome the BIG problems with microwave cooking. So, why put the $30 roast in there to begin with, when even you admit a conventional oven does a better job?

Fish <> meat. And yes, for some types of fish, I like a sear on it, crispy skin on salmon for example.

I said a credible food website, like FoodTV. Ehow is *not* a food or cooking website, ie it's not where folks go for recipes.

The point is you don't even use a microwave to cook beef regularly yourself. And you now admit that the microwave isn't the best cooking option. THAT is why you don't use it. And in my world that doesn't equate to a microwave cooking meats "very well". That is why 98% of folks don't use a microwave to cook beef, not because we don't know how one works.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 05:54:42 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I said it because it can. Is I stated, I'll cook it for you and make you a believer. Very well does not mean "best". I never said it was best. Sorry you don't know the difference.

I think this centers around your perception of "very well" Clearly "very well" doesn't equate to all that much, because you yourself indicated you don't usually cook meat in the MW. If it does such a mighty fine job, why aren't you using it? And it's not like that "best" method requires some exotic, expensive piece of equipment. It's just using the conventional oven that virtually every kitchen has.
Sorry that you think people who don't agree that MWs don't cook meats "very well" just don't know how they work. That 98% group would include all the pro chefs.
On 2/24/2013 7:03 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'll use a microwave in conjunction with the oven. I'll cook meat part way in the microwave then use the oven to finish it up and brown it. In the Summertime it helps keep the heat load down for the AC and it also reduces cook time. Last night I used my microwave pasta cooker and the pasta was ready in 20 minutes which is half the time it would take to prepare it in a pot on the stove. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 05:03:12 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

It is easier to just toss a roast in the oven and set it for 400 degrees. The MW will give me 80% to 90% as good but it takes more setup of the cooking cycle. Just because something is good does not mean it is practical.

Yep, I never said the MW is better. Ovens are really easy to use.

Stand by that. I've done it, I've eaten and enjoyed the finished product. As I said, there are equal or better and easier methods, but that still does not mean the mw does not work well. Since you've never had a roast from it, you are just talking out you ass with nothing to support your contention. I have real like experience
Ever watch people using a microwave? Most will just set the timer and let it rip. Very few people use multiple power settings and allow proper waiting time. The mw was touted as a miracle fast cooking methods. It is faster and very good for some items, but it is not the best for everything. It also takes a little thought to use the proper technique. It just is not done. I've observed this many times for many years.
Next up, baked potatoes. Why the oven is better than the mw. Yes, I sometimes nuke a spud, but it is not as good as a real oven baked potato. No wrapping in foil either like some of the pro chefs in restaurants do. I'm willing to compromise at times though, 8 minutes versus and hour to cook (not bake) a spud in the mw.

You yourself said that you don't usually use the MW to cook meat. That and the fact that every pro chef I've ever heard of NEVER says to cook meet in a MW are compelling evidence that it really doesn't cook meat "very well". Show us any recognized chef that says MW are good for cooking meats...... The fact that you can't come up with a recipe for a beef roast using a MW at any major food recipe website, eg FoodTV is further compelling evidence. If it really does cook beef "very well", where are the recipes? Maybe you just don't have a very discriminating palate.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 06:46:11 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Until you taste it, you are just blowing smoke out your ass. I really don't care about your opinion. I've eaten it and facts trump your shortsighted opinion based solely on your perceptions..

Obviously you do care about my opinion, because here you are again. It's not just MY opinion. Do you see anyone else here agreeing that you can cook meat "very well" in a microwave? Advocating using it for cooking a roast? See any professional chef ever recommend doing it? Where are all the recipes from say FoodTV. I guess they are all just shortsighted and blowing smoke too.......

I had some norelco microwaves, from the 70's that had browning element and temperature probe. I never used used them because the controller was faulty, so I switched o a manual mechanical timer. Of course my turbo/microwave can used either function. The turbo "convection", takes too long to preheat and I don't use.
Greg