GE gas stove - oven ignition not working

After replacing the defective ignitor, the oven would still not ignite, though it did become bright red. I tried turning it on several times. No luck. I lit the gas with a match, and the oven heated up just fine. The under-side of the burner tube has two slots - one near the front, one near the ignitor. The flame coming from the front slot was much bigger than the flame near the ignitor. I tried cleaning the slot, but it made no difference. Has anyone encountered that same problem and what is its solution??? The stove is about 10 years old, GE Model JGB155ER8WH, and the replacement ignitor is Camco part number WB2X9154. If you reply, please send me an e-mail, too, please. Thank you for your help. George in Vancouver, BC

Reply to
gam

Well if you were able to light it with a match I would say the oven ignitor and gas valve (which work in combination with each other) were doing their jobs. If the ignitor wasn't just reinstalled out of position, possibly too far from the oven burner, I would say the gas port(s) in the oven burner would have to be the problem.

If they can't be cleaned to make a difference, the burner may have to be replaced.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.ca

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Yes, I agree with your conclusion that the gas valve and the ignitor are working. There were several weeks between me removing and re-installing the ignitor, so I am not 100% sure where the old ignitor was; but there seems to be only one way to put the ignitor in. The ignitor now is paralell to the oven burner, and directly below it. Does this sound correct? How would I clean the oven burner? I used an exacto knife blade, but I am not sure how good a job I did, because it is hard to get at. There is no obvious damage to the burner. Should I remove the burner to do a better job? Thank you for your help, Yours,

George

Reply to
gam

Sounds about right. I don't know if there's much play in the mounting of it to get it too far out of alignment.

There is no set way AFAIK, it is usually just up to the ingenuity of the servicer. Sometimes small solid wires poked through the holes or maybe blown out with compressed air, etc. Just don't use toothpicks as they can leave splinters behind making matters worse!

Probably a good idea.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.ca

=Ð~~~~~~