GE Garbage Disposal Quit (Disposall)

This model GFC700 disposal is the same age as our house - about 15 years. Two days ago, it made an unusual sound when running, a more high-pitched noise than normal. Then yesterday, my wife said while it was running it made a CLUNK sound and quit.

The unit rotates freely (with a hammer handle inserted into it). The reset button has been pushed - it did not seem to be activated, though.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Time to get a new one?

Thanks, Craig

[to reply directly, change the VERB to a NUMERAL]
Reply to
Craig Williams

I didn't make it clear that _NOTHING_ happens when we turn it on now. No hum, no spin, no click, nothing.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Williams

high-pitched

running it

Hi,

Make sure the house fuse/breaker didn't let go.

Also, this may help...

Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Nope, not the breaker. It's on the same breaker as the dishwasher, which still works. Checked the breaker anyway, and it wasn't tripped. Cycled it anyway. No change. But thanks for the suggestion.

I already visited the appliance aid web page, and that's where I saw the suggestions about turning it by hand, pushing the reset, etc.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Williams

G'day,

Split your problem then.

Check/confirm 110-120 volts AC comming into the unit with a volt meter and power there =3D a problem inside the disposal itself and then you can weight the pros and cons....take apart the old unit for possible repair ( switch, burnt wires, cooked motor ) or replace the unit with a new disposal.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Check the power where the unit plugs in, assuming it's not hard wired to be sure that's not the problem. I just replaced my 16 year old Badger 5 disposal. The chamber was really corroded and pitted and it was making a lot of noise. I think after 15 years it's time for a new one. Ron

Reply to
Ron