GE Dryer (newer) low heat

My wife is complaining about the amout of time it takes to dry a load of clothes in our GE dryer (newer model - about 5 years old) - AGAIN. About a year or so ago it was really running low heat and I checked into this ng that pointed me to a fine web site (can't remember the name of it) that told me how to take it apart and check the two stage heater coil in back of the barrel (which was really easy to get out - when shown..) The high heat coil had, in fact, burned through the wire in the coil - so, I replaced it... (I opted to replace the whole coil assembly at that time - but, I can't remember if it came with the thermostats, too.) -and, it has been drying just fine.

This time, however, the coil looks good, the thermostats meter out ok, and the exhaust pipe blows lots of air... and, it theat coming out of it seems to be quite hot..... however, the clothes DO take forever to completely dry out... Any suggestions???

You know, now that I think of it - I didn't meter the heater coils out.... they just "looked" good.. I'll tear it apart again and meter those devils this time - maybe it's the low heat coil... In the meantime, any other ideas??

Thanks in advance,

Palmer

Reply to
pmoore11

Before you go too far.... 99% of all slow drying complaints are due to a blocked vent,A quick easy test ...remove the vent hose off your dryer Dry a load of towels (with hose off) if it drys in 50 min. or less your VENT IS BLOCKED...99% of the time.

Reply to
MrAppliance1

Thanks... I (think) I tested that blockage and the same amount of air was coming out of the vent hose as was coming out of the back of the dryer with no hose on it... However, it still took longer than usual to dry. This am (with your advise in mind - instead of tearing it apart, again, to meter out the coils - I did another load with the vent hose hooked up - but, WITH THE LINT BASKET OUT (your same logic..) And, lo and behold - we had a reasonably dry load in no time flat... Must be the screen mesh, even though it "looks" clean, has correded enough over the years to restrict some air flow.

Thanks so much for answering me.

Add me to that list..... (lol) Thanks

Palmer

Reply to
pmoore11

This is Turtle.

I think you are right P Moor !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I would also make sure your washer is spin drying them properly. Maybe you're drying wetter clothes than normal!

Reply to
Larry Bud

Yea, I had thought of that too, Larry - but, they "seemed" ok to me. Now, I've got to admit that I don't handle them all that much ("True Confessons From an Old Househusband (lol) - but, for sure they weren't dripping wet. I bought the new lint filter and "she" has done a couple loads since - and, they haven't complained ....

So, thanks guys - I think we got it...

Thanks so much for you help - and, have a nice holiday season,

Palmer (PMoore)

Reply to
pmoore11