GE Dryer Lint Trap Design Flaw?

Model GTMP200EM1WW
Since purchasing this unit in August of 2012 we have experienced significant accumulations of lint at the exterior vent cover which does open and close freely and in the walls of the dryer unit beyond the lint trap which is cleaned after every load. We are cleaning the exterior vent cap at least three times yearly.
Close examination of the area where the dryer lint trap is installed reveals that there is a large gap on each side of the fitting in to which the lint trap screen is inserted which allows vented air to bypass the lint trap mechanism. Lint then enters the vetting system, builds up in the immediate dryer wall area and accumulates on the exterior vent cap. We have never experienced this issue with any previous dryer. It appears to be a design flaw and I am wondering what we can do to eliminate this lint bypass issue. I have attached a link to a picture of the area I believe is the problem.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19195515/IMG_0034.jpg
The area allowing lint bypass of the screen system is the dark triangular area in the upper left corner of the side perforated panel. It would appear that air is to pass through the peforations and lint is not but this open triangular area allows lint to bypass the collector.
On 1/21/2014 12:02 PM, Dennis Lougheed wrote: ...

Looks like one could take a small piece of screen and make a filter for the corner...we've a roughly-same-age GE but I don't remember the specific arrangement otomh. I'll try to take a look and see how compares and post back any further ideas if that engenders any...

On 1/21/2014 1:16 PM, Bob F wrote:

That'll have to be the way...
On looking, the one here is basically the same altho the corner is smaller than appears in the photo--but that could just be angle, etc., from the picture.
Anyway, the problem is they had to cut the corners off the plastic filter sections to enable it to slide out the opening--if the "missing" corners were there, then they would hit the upper portion of the opening and couldn't get it out for cleaning.
After looking here, I'd try metal duct tape for the purpose and make it to cover the opening.

Please repost or send me the picure as I have the same problem with a new ge gas dryer I bought from Lowes. GE told me it is normal an blew me off. I did have the exhaust professionally cleaned.
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:08:50 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm guessin' you'll have to send this again to say who you are replying to, or writing to, or what thread you are referring to. Why not just quote the whole thing? How many years old is the post.
(Doggone google.groups posters don't know how to do anything right.)
On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 11:02:51 AM UTC-7, dennislougheed wrote:

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 11:02:51 AM UTC-7, dennislougheed wrote:

I have Model number GTD18GSSJ1ww
I was having the same issue. Lots of lint clogging up the exterior vent cover and lint all over my back porch. Called for a repairman who was no help at all. At one point I even found a dryer sheet had made it through to the porch.
I found a fix! I took a piece of 1/2inch foam that had adhesive (peal and stick) and I stuck it around the lint trap in the dryer. It closed the gaps and works like a charm. No more lint getting to the exterior.
I wonder why the GE engineers couldn't fix this?
JMS