GE Dryer Cabinet Top Removal

I've got a late model GE electric dryer. It's probably no more than 3-4 years old, but I can't find the exact model on the "Buy Now" section of GE's site (I don't have the model number so I can only gauge by the photographs on the site).

However, I'm guessing it's roughly equivalent to the base-model dryer (it's got two knobs: 'time' and 'start').

I need to check the elements. All the DIY online references I come across say that there are screws holding down the top of the cabinet. There are no screws anywhere on the front of this thing.

I came across some threads in this group mentioning the need for a putty knife to remove the cabinet tops.

Assuming this is the latest base-model GE electric dryer model, does anyone know how to go about removing the cabinet top in order to disassemble the machine?

Thanks,

-Brian

Reply to
gorbster

Hi,

Will need it...some are made by GE some are made by Frigidaire and Amana for GE with the GE name on it.

A comm> I've got a late model GE electric dryer. It's probably no more than 3-4

Reply to
Appliance Repair Aid

Every GE dryer I've seen has two spring clips on the front about 3-4" from the corners--stick a stiff-bladed thin knife in and push them in while lifting the front of the top....it then just lays back for access.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

There is, but I keep forgetting to jot it down before running off to work in the mornings (just moved into a new place, and internet doesn't get hooked up til the end of the week).

Reply to
gorbster

Sorry...I mixed bup between washer and dryer--it's the wasther w/ the two springs and a few screws underneath the top lip on the dryers...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On my GE dryer the 2 screws are located inside the door opening near the top corners

Reply to
tkipps

There's no model# plate inside the dryer door?

Reply to
Mike Foss

Some dryers, you have to open the door, and then stand on your head. The screws are along the top edge of the door opening. That one got me but good, one time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

probably no more than 3-4

the "Buy Now" section of

only gauge by the

the base-model dryer

OK, thats the kind I have though mine is about 6 years old. The screws are at the lint trap.

Reply to
Kathy