GE cooktop no spark - spark module or something else?

Hi, I have a GE gas cooktop model number JGP636WEV7WW that has not been sparking for quite a while. Everything is dry and nothing has boiled over on a long time.

is the spark module and the model number for the Kool Lite Harper Wyman thing is an exact match.

I can hear it doing the 'tick-tick-tick' thing when the knob is in the correct position. I've removed the wires to all the burners and I can get a short 1/8" arc between one of the wires and the metal of the cooktop.

It sure seems to me that it's the spark module, but before ordering a $54.70 part, I figured I'd see if anybody else had any other ideas.

How long is the arc on a good one?

Thanks!

Reply to
autonut843

It would seem that if you are heating the click click that the spark module is functioning. It is the spark that makes the noise. Maybe I am wrong. Have you looked at the point the spark should be made and see if there is a spark?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Before I opened things up I could hear the spark but it was not visible on any of the spark gaps at any of the burners (5). After I took the cover off, all the wires were just in free air, not able to arc to anything and you could still hear the click click. I then took the wire ends and brought them close to the metal frame and some did not seem to draw an arc and some seemed to draw a very small arc. Before I put the stovetop back together I just removed the last two wires so I could keep the module with me. Perhaps I'll experiment with it and see how it does with new wires on my benchtop.

Reply to
autonut843

I have a Maytag and it was clicking but not lighting all the burners. Two would light, two would not. Replaced the spark module and they all work now. The new module cost $28.00 or so.

Al

Reply to
Big Al