Ge clarifies the instructions.

Well, today a pair of 40 watt fluorescents in the kitchen finally gave up an quit. So off I went to my local big box store and bought a 2-pack of replacements. I put them in and they worked .
OK, what to do with the old ones?
On the little cardboard piece that holds the two tubes together in the store GE has the following statement.
"environmentally responsible-meets Federal EPA regulations for normal disposal"
Then on another panel on the same piece of cardboard is this statement.
"Hg - LAMP CONTAINS MERCURY" (their caps) And below that "Manage in Accord with Disposal Laws"
I wonder if anybody at GE reads this stuff. Maybe the last guy with a brain got laid off and no one left there can read.
My waste disposal company says to bring them to the hazard material drop-off location. I will do that.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

These are cover your ass statements. Some regions would probably allow them to be thrown in trash and others would require special disposal. Personally the amount of mercury is minute and not in most toxic form and I think it would be safe in normal trash.
Charlie wrote:

Around here, you can rid yourself of toxic trash by wrapping it with gift wrap, putting a bow on it and leaving it in plain sight on a porch, in the bed of a pickup or in an unlocked car. A member of AAWDS will inevitably carry it away for you.
TDD