GE 'Bright From The Start' hybrid light bulbs

Page 1 of 2
http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/education_resources/literature_library/sell_sheets/downloads/cfl/64408_GE_Bright_from_the_Start_Energy_Smart_CFL.pdf
I just installed two of these in a clothes closet and couldn't be happier with the results.
They come on instantly like a standard incandescent yet have the energy efficiency of a CFL.

But a 2-pack costs $27 at Amazon. Standard CFL's have come down rather closely to the price of glo-bulbs ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/1/2012 5:02 PM, Han wrote:

Got a Lowes nearby?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338891-371-64160_0__?catalogId051&productId394068&UserSearch38891+&Ntt38891+&N=0&langId=-1&storeId151&rpp$
Ted wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338891-371-64160_0__?catalogId051&productId394068&UserSearch38891+&Ntt38891+&N=0&langId=-1&storeId151&rpp$
At my "nearby" Lowes, they're only $13.05 for the pair. What a bargain for a 75-watt equivalent. Not.

Sometimes you need to take the long view. 7 years at 3 hours/day is the "expected" lifespan. So each would use 7x3x365x20 watt or ~153 kWh. A real 70 watt bulb would use 536 kWh. At my 18 c/kWh that is a difference of $28 vs $96, if the bulbs would last the same time which they don't. So in the end the expensive buld is about 1/3 the cost of the cheap one.
--
Best regards
Han

Good pointer. Never assume Amazon has the best price. They often don't.
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

They may not, but often items that qualify for free shipping makes up the difference.

Particularly on items where the shipping can run into the hundred$. Don't forget taxes, too. ;-)
On 1/1/2012 7:02 PM, SG wrote:

The free shipping often makes up for a price that may be a few dollars higher than the cheapest advertised price. I have a hard time explaining that simple fact to a vociferous cheapskate I know. ^_^
TDD
Ted wrote:

http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/education_resources/literature_library/sell_sheets/downloads/cfl/64408_GE_Bright_from_the_Start_Energy_Smart_CFL.pdf

got any data on power consumption vs time? Does the incandescent stay on all the time? If not, for how long? Total power consumption in each mode?
Why do I want instant on? Because I want to get on with it and probably won't leave it on long. Like in a closet where the lamp is on for 10 seconds at a time. Or the kitchen where it takes 15 seconds to stuff coffee in the microwave and push the button. Or in the bathroom where it takes less than a minute to pee. Or in the garage where it takes less than a minute to open the door, drive the car out and close the door. Or the laundry where it takes 15 seconds to check if the clothes are dry. Or ?????
So, it's an unreliable CFL with an additional part to fail and it's EXPENSIVE.
The instant-onness of CFL's has a bimodal distribution. There's the junk that can take a second to ignite and minutes to reach full brightness. Then there's the stuff that comes on instantly and is plenty bright from the start...and they're cheap.
Problem is finding the latter. The cheap lamps come from the lowest bidder. IF you find a lamp you like, the same make/model/partnumber/from the same store may not be the same.
I've been taking an adapter and testing the batch in the store at Home Depot. I'm sure they think I'm crazy, but the never refused to let me.

Do you honestly have to wait until a CFL gets to full power to put the coffee in the MW? Or to pee? Or any of those 15 second chores? Newer CFL's have about 75% power at turn on and that is quite sufficient to pee by. You may not like the lights, but your given reasons are quite silly. It is not like you have to wait half a minute to enter the room.
As for the coffee, you can do what we do. Under the counter is a fixture with an 18" fluorescent light. It is on all the time. We've had a small fixture in the kitchen for 45 years and the only time it goes off is when the power fails or it burns out after a few years.
I suspect the "unintended consequence" of the CFL that are slow to warm up, people will just leave them on 24/7, and that will destroy all the imaginary savings. Me, I leave the light by the main door on, all the time. And, it's a CF. I hvan't gotten around to leaving the under counter light on all the time, but I could.
Under the counter is a fixture with an 18" fluorescent light. It is on all the time. We've had a small fixture in the kitchen for 45 years and the only time it goes off is when the power fails or it burns out after a few years.
On 1/2/2012 7:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm going to get some lighting photo controls so I never walk into a dark house because I never know what a roommate might leave in the way. o_O
TDD
Oh, gosh, they would LOVE that. Never get a moment's peace after that. Even if you took the clapper out.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Confucious say "Man who fart in church, sit in own pew."
When I fart, sometimes I wished it were in the dark. So, it works out just fine.

Every time you fart the light goes on/off.
On 1/2/2012 7:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We have a 9 watt tube over the sink that I try to leave on but one of the roommates is a vampire, shuns light and won't leave the darn thing alone. I come into a dark house at night and trip over something unless there is a LITTLE bit of light. It's a good thing I have at least one flashlight on me most of the time. o_O
TDD

Night lite in a nearby socket solves that problem.
Harry K
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 08:39:03 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Get a green LED nightlight.

I set up an OfficeMiser I found in my junk box. It has a rj11 port to plug in the motion sensor. It sees me coming down the hall and turns on the light for me.