Gauge for Testing Swimming Pool

I have a swimming pool. I have been testing the chlorine level and pH with those little test strips. I have tried the little test tubes too. Maybe it is my old eyes or color blindness - but I have a hard time reading the colors. Does anyone make a digital gauge that will measure chlorine level and/or pH? I would like something where you stick a probe in the pool and you can digitally tell the levels on a meter. Has anybody used such a device? Is it expensive? Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Yes, they make them. Yes, I've used them. Yes, they are expensive.

Search for "digital chlorine meter" and find several that will do chlorine and ph for about $300 USD and up.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

You might find a handheld ORP meter for about $100, which is the best way to measure chlorine. OTO (the yellow stuff) is not much better than 1 bit of resolution (clear=no chlorine, yellow=a little, amber=a lot).

For pH, they're inherently expensive, laborious to keep in calibration, and short-lived.

There are cheap testers, but not that give you true readings, at least not for long.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

She did not tell anything. She fantasized she did. Apparently you believed her fantasy as well.

You can test for zero chlorine that way, but not quantify positive levels or chlorine demand.

Phenol red for pH must be diluted properly to be read quantitatively.

In any civilized jurisdiction this would be a health code violation that would close the facility. I wonder how many students got sick at this school pool. She probably had other fantasies to explain that.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

My post here may be a little off topic in this thread, and I fully admit I know little to nothing about pools, but for what it's worth... years ago I had a girlfriend who's mom ran a swimming school out of her home. She'd been in the business for many years.

I remember her just letting a drop of some test chemical/s fall right in the pool. She'd observe the color change immeadetly after it spread out under the surface, and could tell what amounts of what chemicals her pool needed. Took her longer to open and close the bottle than to do the test by a long shot. (Even heard she'd once bought a new batch of test chemicals, and her first 'reading' with them was so far off from what she expected, she sent her daughter for another batch. The new batch 'read' correctly. Guess thats experience for you.)

Seemed to know what she was doing. Even with all those kids in there, the pool was always sparkling clean, and I never remember hearing anyone complain of burning eyes.

Erik

Took her longer to open and close the bottle than to do the test

Reply to
Erik

They are testing that there is still something left and to get a rough idea what they are going to add. These pool mechanics come by and dump a bucket of crap in the pool once a week. Precision is not in their job description. I do agree a properly used reagent kit is the ONLY way to properly test a pool. I would trust a drop of test reagent from, the diving board more than a $300 meter that hasn't been calibrated in the last month or so. The classic definition of the difference between accuracy and precision is a wrong answer .... out to 4 decimal places.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you mean OTO, that is not reliable. DPD and ORP are better, and in fact required for commercial pools by many local codes.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch