Gate Opener Problems

I am currently using an Apollo 1500 model gate opener. I believe it is approximately 5 years old. Of late, the actuator makes quite a bit of noise when closing the gate, starting about half way closed and until fully closed. It sounds like the gears are really whining.
I will be contacting the Apollogate Co. today but I wanted to ask here if anyone else has experienced this with this opener, and if so, what did you do?
pic: http://www.apollogate.com /
tia -G Henslee
G Henslee wrote:

I found a web site that shows the unit. http://www.contractorstools.com/apollo_1500-1550.html