Gate Opener Problems

I have a gate opener that has blown out three motor start capacitors (the original, plus two replacements). I have replaced it one additional time, but assume something else must be wrong. I have greased the rollers and the movement of the gate is very easy (i.e. should not stress the motor). However, after installing the new capacitor and opening / closing the gate once (two traversals) the start capacitor is very hot. It seems to only be a matter of time before it blows again. I had the electric motor rebuilt when it blew the first time, but I am wondering if they just replaced the capacitor and call it good. Is there anything I can do to find the root cause of the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
blackjack77

Check the voltage rating of the capacitor and see if it is atleast as high as the voltage you are using.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

For openers, make sure every connection point, from beginning to end, is clean and tight.

Unc

Reply to
uncle k

Check the line/circuit feeding the motor. My pool pump did something similar and there was a short to the metal conduit the wires were pulled in. WAG

Only other thing I can think of is the gear box that the motor is connected to.

Reply to
SQLit