Gasoline Storage Problem?

Page 1 of 2

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.
Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?
Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage motors?
Have you other suggestions?
(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)
Thanks for your help.

NO, NO, NO, NO. In other words, NO.

Yes, the plastic will probably deteriorate.

Suggestion: Stop thinking about using anything but a container made for gasoline.
I don't recall where (maybe Home Depot, Lowe's, hardware store, West Marine), but I've seen very small gas containers that made me think "What's that for?", and then I wandered off to the light bulb department. Go find one.

A light blub department? No sweat.
--
:)
JR

Right. Right blubs, where them gas cans am kept.

Thank-you for not ridiculing MY dim blub(sic). <sigh>
(Now where did I put that spell-checker?)
--
:)
JR

Spell checkers is adjacent de la madera.
Dwight wrote:

Simple answer NO!

No one knows until they have tested it and if someone has tested a Clorox bottle, what if they changed the bottle formula last week?
Just don't do it. Use an approved container only. You not only have to worry about it eating the container, but how about allowing for expansion etc.? Stick with the real thing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:39:52 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

You should use a 1 gallon plastic gas can that clearly labled with the fuel/oil mix that's in it. Clorox bottles aren't vented, and don't come with pour-spouts, aren't as thick-walled as gas-cans, and it's a violation of the law in most places to put gasoline into a non-approved container. (although that might just be at the gas station..)

I've seen half gallon gasoline containers at the lawn mower shop where I bought my lawn equipment.

I have a one-gallon gas can in my garage from Walmart.

I've seen gasoline containers in half gallon sizes. I think it was at the lawn mower shop where I bought my lawn equipment.
Dwight wrote:

Code in my neighborhood is to store only in approved container, and with a chain for ground outdoors.
I'm sorry, but I thought I was tight. Some of my employees accuse me of it regularly.
Not even I would try to preserve a quart of 2 stroke for next season. You'll spend more, but you could buy some Stabil that will help it keep.
Throw the stuff out or run it through the tool. You, the machine, and the gas can will be happier to start off fresh next season.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Assuming it's otherwise clean, pour it into the car's gas tank when it's near empty and you're about to fill it up.

Or just pour it in when the gas tank's already near full...
--
Regards,

Or even 53% full or 47% empty. But, pick up the car and shake, to be sure it mixes well.

Omigod! Not down the drain! HORRORS!!
How about this: Put it in your car when the tank is nearly full. I am not ASE-certified but I can almost guarantee you that a couple of quarts of 50:1-mixed fuel added to 15-20 gallons of gas won't hurt a thing.

Now, THERE's a thought!
--
:)
JR

My dad used to put the left over boat gas in the truck on the way home if the truck ran out. Even with no other gas in the vehicle, it'll never know the difference with 50:1
--
Steve Barker

"Jim Redelfs" < snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMredelfs.com> wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:44:45 -0600, Jim Redelfs

buy the pamphlet on building a gasoline torch from lindsaybks.com, anc scare the hell out of yourself and your neighbors.
Dwight wrote:

Glass mayonnaise jars work well, as do wine bottles with screw-on caps.
When necessary, either can be used as a Molotov cocktail.