Gasoline Storage

"Bob" wrote in news:Xa6dnbvy8K3yOELenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Is the propane or NG less expensive than gasoline? IIRC,NG is not expensive. It's cleaner,better for your generator engine,and with a underground gas line,nearly uninterruptable supply,and also no storage or handling problems.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They are hazardous because you have more chances of spills from splits, stumbling over them, vapor release, etc.

You don't need to control moisture inside. If it really worries you a can of gas drier in or better yet about 8 ounces of ethanol (from the paint store) in a full tank. It won't rust inside when full of gas. But the best insurance is to have a new or nearly new barrel with no evidence of rust. If that still worries you put a filter on the outflow or use a built in filter at the tap. The barrel may rust through but not for a long time like 20 years.

No, 55 gallon drums are heavy metal. I used one for compost half buried in the ground and later switched to one standing up in the open (easier to dump over to empty). The first lasted about 15 years but the bottom rusted out because I had poked holes in it for drainage. The second which stand in my garden (and gets sprayed at least every 3rd day throughout the summer)is still going strong (bottom rusty because it has holes poked in it and solid except for the bottom. I bought the second at least 10 years ago from a farm woman who had used it for many years on a wagon to spray insecticide. Now if they can stand holding compost year round, gasoline storage is not going to affect them much. My father store gas in one for probably 25 years, unfortunately, the last placement was under a cedar tree standing upright. He only got gas out in an emergency so water and snow would fill the top rim, leaves would fall on the top and decompose, and then daily temperature changes would cause the barrel to contract and pull the mess from the top through the threads of the fill screws. What was pulled through was so fine you couldn't see it, but it plugged one of those sintered bronze gas filters. You are not going to rust out a good steel barrel.

I have no idea what the cost of a new one is (check any gas and oil company), but the best bet for a decent price is to buy a standard oil barrel from someone or some company that uses a lot of oil--diesel, lub oil, hydraulic fluid, cutting fluid, and whatever comes in barrels. Check garages, heavy equipment dealers and repair places, lub shops, farmers.

Check what the gas company URLs say. Gas remains fresh for at least 1 year if stored properly.

Yep other tanks are possible, but they will be a lot more expensive, especially for the little amount of gas you want to store.

Sealed gas tanks worked ok for my dad with temperatures ranging from -40 to 87 degrees. The end walls would bulge, but they never leaked. If a drum is full of gas it can collapse. Actually it won't collapse if you have 4 or 5 gallons in it. and the temp difference between hot days followed by cold night isn't significant. If you are really worried, when winter comes, open the top screw to equalize the pressure and then close tight, but there is no need for that, just taking some gas out every month eliminates any possible problem.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Registering as a business is bogus. You still have to prove that you use the gas off road. Thirty gallons a year isn't going to save enough in gas taxes for the trouble.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Only one person has to pay sales tax, either the middle man or the final consumer. If the middle man doesn't want to pay sales tax, he has to get a resale permit, collect the tax on anything that would be sales-taxable, and pay that money to the appropriate state agency.

Wholesalers shouldn't sell things to anyone without collecting sales tax, unless they have seen the buyer's permit, have recorded his permit number, and he is not buying things to use for himself, but to resell.

mm

: >> Hi, : >>

: >> What do you folk do for gasoline storage for your generators? : >>

... : : On our farm we used to have permanent tanks, We had to replace the tanks : once and the supplier said would need to now have EPA approved : installation, etc. We did not want to go through the expense of that. : The supplier told us that anything not a permanent fixture would not : necessarily need to be approved by the EPA. Many construction companies : use portable tanks to take to job sites. So we got a small heavy duty : trailer and mounted a small 100 Gal tank and then pulled down to the : supplier to have filled instead of them coming out to us. Worked out : better since when on one side of the property for a while we could take : the tank with us. : : May be an option, would still depend on laws in your area, May can get a : 55 gal drum that would be adequate and strap down on a suitable utility : trailer if you have means to tow somewhere to fill (Even the local gas : station) :

Good brainstorming; thanks all. Looking like the drum idea is best and the one i understand the best so far. Can't haul it to be filled though 'cause around here they'll only put fuel (even kero) in approved containers so I called to see about delivery: Can't find a place yet that will deliver gasoline - they're only for fuel oil types. They also said gas could only be delivered to a properly installed EPA container, so I guess that's out.

Thanks Pop

Reply to
Pop

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message news:qDXDf.316905$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... : Pop wrote: : > "George E. Cawthon" wrote in : > message : > news:TcQDf.579366$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... : > : Pop wrote: : > : > Hi, : > : >

: > : > What do you folk do for gasoline storage for your generators? ... : : They are hazardous because you have more chances : of spills from splits, stumbling over them, vapor : release, etc. Agreed; that's why I made the little red, metal "closet" for them to store in, besides the fact that the fire dept liked it better (grudgingly, but they said there was nothing to stop me). That was a long time ago; I'm almost afraid to ask again. We only have volunteer FD's around here but they're pretty sharp in general. : : You don't need to control moisture inside. If it : really worries you a can of gas drier in or better : yet about 8 ounces of ethanol (from the paint : store) in a full tank. It won't rust inside when : full of gas. But the best insurance is to have a : new or nearly new barrel with no evidence of rust.

Good points.

You seem to be right. I have two metal and two plastic barrels for water stored downstairs in the basement. I emptied the metal barrels and pulled rings to look inside; they're pretty clean and not rusty.

: If that still worries you put a filter on the : outflow or use a built in filter at the tap. The : barrel may rust through but not for a long time : like 20 years.

Good; hadn't thought of that yet - already have funnels with the copper water strainers in them.

[...]

Thanks for sharing your experience. : : I have no idea what the cost of a new one is : (check any gas and oil company), but the best bet : for a decent price is to buy a standard oil barrel : from someone or some company that uses a lot of : oil--diesel, lub oil, hydraulic fluid, cutting : fluid, and whatever comes in barrels. Check : garages, heavy equipment dealers and repair : places, lub shops, farmers.

Ah, hadn't thought of Agway either - even have a relative works at one of them. Also have a nephew at a car dealership. Good thinking - if they can't help me they'll at least know where I can call around to I bet. : : Check what the gas company URLs say. Gas remains : fresh for at least 1 year if stored properly.

Yup, stale gas isn't really ever an issue. Worst happens here is I use up the winterized gas in the summer for lawn equipment. I do keep it rotating. : : Yep other tanks are possible, but they will be a : lot more expensive, especially for the little : amount of gas you want to store. : : Sealed gas tanks worked ok for my dad with : temperatures ranging from -40 to 87 degrees. The : end walls would bulge, but they never leaked. If : a drum is full of gas it can collapse. Actually : it won't collapse if you have 4 or 5 gallons in : it. and the temp difference between hot days : followed by cold night isn't significant.

Ummm, nearly empty cans can collapse too - I've done it; not completely, but enough it wouldn't reliably sit upright any longer. One side collapsed more than the other. Are you saying the expand/contraction of gasoline can also collapse a can if it's full and air tight? I never thought of that, but I can see it's possible I guess, esp inthe case of 45 or 55 gallons; it would be a fairly significant volume change I guess.

If you : are really worried, when winter comes, open the : top screw to equalize the pressure and then close : tight, but there is no need for that, just taking : some gas out every month eliminates any possible : problem.

Right. Goog point.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
Pop

No, I'm not saying that. Liquids don't compress, so a tank full of liquid can never collapse. What I'm saying is that you don't need to worry about a

55 gallon drum collapsing under any condition. It might bulge or dimple a bit but that is all.

The old school trick of collapsing a metal can by boiling some water in it, screwing on a tight cap, and then letting it cool is fun to watch, shows the power of air pressure, but is extreme. You have water vapor dropping from 212 to a lower temperature and condensing to liquid. That leaves virtually no vapor in the can. That extreme will never happen with gasoline in a barrel without deliberate manipulation to cause it.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I would think any qty up to a 55 gal drum/tank that is mobile would just be able to go to the local gas station and fill up. the attendants never know if approved or not. Where I live everyone in any sort of construction has custom made tanks that are not approved by anyone, they just pull up and fill up and go. My truck hold 60 gal itself so qty would not be an issue there.

Reply to
MC

Of course you are right, local codes have nothing to do with how much gas you buy or essentially anything you do at a gas station or on a highway. Heck you could just buy a truck put two 30 gallon tanks in the bed, and use it just to hold gas at home. Totally out of the jurisdiction of local codes as long as it meets the state roadworthy requirements.

The simplest procedure as suggested above is a barrel on a small trailer. Total cost would be about $200 or less, but you would have to register the trailer for road use add a power connection for brake, tail, and turn signal lights on the car and add a simple ball hitch to your vehicle.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You mean the U.S. Department of Transportation? or the state department of transportation?

Certa> You would also have to make sure the barrel was placarded or labeled. The

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Bad advise for Maryland. Our state police are very well trained in the recognition of illegal hazardous materials transports. The US DOT rules are enforceable on intrastate shipment because it is simply impractical to tell intrastate from interstate in actual practice. If the Maryland State police can see that barrel you will be stopped. The regularly stop camping and travel trailers for using over sized propane tanks. Such training and enforcement efforts have received a lot of command attention since 2001/9/11.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

I made a hose for the pressure test fitting on my Jeep's fuel injector rail, and now it pumps gas for emergencies!

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Actually, I've considered that, but ... I've never been sure of the right way to do it. How do you trigger the fuel pump; turn ignition to ON (not start), or jumper in the test connector? I've never been able to locate the right pins in the power connector. What did you use for a valve?

Pop

Reply to
Pop

I am a farmer. I dont have one of these but I have seen farmers with a 30 or 55 gallon drum with a hand operated pump that screws right into the threaded hole on the drum. Then you just pump it out. You need to change the gas once a year or so or it will go stale, so then just pump it into your car and bring home a few 5 gallon gas cans every day and refill it. I have to gas up my tractor, but I just haul

5 gallon gas cans and always keep one on hand. I have considered getting a drum and pump myself, and may do this some day.

I think a vent is needed for heat/cold expansion contraction. Go to your local TSC (Tractor Supply Co). I think they have them.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Here's a barrel (drum) pump made for gasoline (and other liquids) for $25.

Here is another
number W1408366 Low cost Steel pump (also $25)

Then all you need is a drum and I'd inquire about the venting. Be sure the drum did not contain some chemicals that will mix with the gas and cause problems. Find one of the oil change places or a tractor repair center. They get motor oil, trans fluid, etc. in those drums. A little oil in the gas wont hurt a thing. You will likely have to pay for the barrel, they usually pay a deposit on them.

Using google, I searched for "drum pump" (with quotes). There are lots of them. This is the first one I found that said (FOR GASOLINE). I'm sure there are others.

Heck, for that price I might order one myself !!!

Here are a few other sites I looked at.

?catid=119&mapid=43
Here is a vent. It says .... F) The VENT-B opens manually or automatically at 5 p.s.i. May be used with flammable liquids. Utilize on plastic or steel drums. Fits horizontal drum with 2" bung opening. GO TO:
Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

The rail has a Schrader valve with 1/4 flare fitting. All you need is a

1/4 female flare on a hose. Connect it, run hose to fuel can, start the car. Turn off car when done. Kind of like drawing blood.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch