gasoline spilled on unfinished pine flooring

We are in the process of finishing a cabin we purchased. Unfortunately the pine wood flooring is already installed. Since we are WAY down a private road (two track) we do not have electric yet. So while working there we are using a generator. We have done well placing plastic under it when we take it in from outside to store while we aren't there. But we recently had a roof and siding put on and the builder who did the work spilled gasoline from it on the unfinished pine flooring. And he walked in it. So I have several large spots in the bedroom and foot prints in the living room. Our plan is to eventually put a clear finish on it. Is there anything that will remove the gas stains on the bare wood? If we cannot get the oily looking stain out we will have to replace the wood, which will be a bit of a chore as it is screwed down.
Thank you.
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 23:43:37 GMT, "Autumn"

I don't exactly know the answer for you.
I have used mineral sprits to help clean engine oil that soaked into a dresser top. The dresser is Cypress wood and was in a garage many years ago, with car parts on it. It was given to me and I cleaned it up and stained it. I still use it.
I still had to do some sanding to get the grain down a bit, so you cannot see the stain.
Let the wood dry well before any finish.
-- Oren

There is a good chance that gas will evaporate on its own, given time. I got some WD-40 on a deck once, and thought it would never come out, but it did. Took awhile.
I hope you are right. Unfortunately we have to keep the generator in the cabin as we have no shed to store it in when we are not there. It is too heavy to take back and forth.

on 9/12/2007 9:08 PM Autumn said the following:

To prevent future spills on the floor, how about a note on the generator advising the Gomers not to fill the tank while the generator is inside?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
David Martel wrote:

It's best to sand in the direction of the grain.

I like to sand upside down.
One of my grandfathers was a bat.

Autumn wrote:

finish accordingly