Gasoline siphon

Sue , one reason some men spit is because we are normally exposed to a little dirtier environment during the course of a day of work than most women are. Ever crawled under your house? I also think men may have more sinus congestion and post-nasal drip than women, while sleeping. A lot of guys I know comment on having to "clear out their pipes" when they get up in the morning, a natural effect of standing up and gravity doing it's work. Straight to the back of the throat it all goes.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and run it to a container. Then get a one gallon can with some good gas, set it up on the roof of the van , put a hose in it and start a siphon and quickly hook it to the carb. Start it and let it pump the tank dry. I had to do that when I put gas in my Diesel, except of course it was the injection pump instead of carb. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Reply to
Art Todesco

Huh. There is still cheap gas to be had? Where can I find it?

Reply to
PaPaPeng

This is Turtle.

Let me put this one on you. Did you know that regular gas with no Alcohol or additives has to be 6% water to start with !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Actually, I was kinda amazed that so many people here have experience in siphoning gas. Is it a "guy thing"? Is that why so many guys spit? (Another thing I can't figure out.)

Curly Sue

It does indeed.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Your points are valid but any water in the gas degrades performance, i.e., energy value per gallon. If water is the hard starting problem, then draining the carb and replacing the filter is probably the first course of action. If the car starts, it will probably draw all the water into the engine in a short period so continued hard starting is unlikely to be caused by water in the gas.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

When we were kids, we'd always be playing with gas power tools, mowers, outboard motors, whatever. Gas often came from the family car.

As for spitting, that is just a dirty habit some people get into for some reason. Glad I never did as it looks disgusting. Maybe it was necessary for a rancher, farmer or someone working out in the dust.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Backlash

This is Turtle.

I see you have not burned well head drip gas stolen from the well heads and burned in your truck or car. Well head and drip gas like this has no water in it and burns pretty hot and will burn your valve out of your engine in a year or so. So the hands had to put a jug of water dripping water into the carberator while running to keep the cyclinder from burning too hot. Without the water the gas will burn your engine up in just a short while.

And no they refinnerys don't just pour the water in the gas and hope it will mix. they call this refinning the fuel. Now when the water drops out of the fuel. It is called bad gas and will give you trouble tring to burn it without the water in it. You need to check with a person that deals with the propertys that gas has in it and find out about the water in it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Nope, didn't know that. Not sure I believe it since the water and gas are not miscible and would just pool in a container. BTW, 6 percent of 20 gallons would be a pint of water. That much in the bottom of your tank would probably cause the car to not start and would likely ruin the gas filter.

Suggest that you put a gallon of fresh gas in a gallon jug. Tip it about 30 degrees so all the water will pool in a small area in the bottom and then check after sitting for a day. No water? Put a teaspoon of water in and see if you can see that pool? If you can, then don't believe the 6 percent water in gas.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You're right, I have never used or stolen any gas in my life, well head or other. I'm no gasoline expert, but well head gas is low octane and that is why it burns up engines. Adding water reduces the octane requirement and that principle was used in the water injection airplane engines, but just dripping water in to the carb isn't very effective, but would reduce cylinder temperatures.

My reading does not indicate refineries add any water to gasoline. The only way that they could keep it mixed in is if they also added an alcohol or other oxygenate; lots of gasoline blends do not include any oxygenate, so any added water would just pool.

Refining has nothing to do with water, it consists of distilling petroleum into different fractions, naphtha, diesel, tar, etc. and cracking which is splitting long chains into shorter more useful chains such as those in naphtha (gas).

I think your 6 percent water is just an old wives tale. I haven't searched the ASTM and SAE specifications for gasoline but doubt that there are any that deal that indicate 6 percent water is acceptable or that require added water.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Nope, but there are various cold start additives, butane could be one.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This is Turtle.

The reason I say this is I worked for Exxon Co. U.S.A. in the off shore production operations and the engineers would use this to make money off anybody who was mouthing off about the production operation. They would bait them up and bet them about the 6% water and loose when you really went and checked up how much water is suppended in gas. It is not in the form of water but all the basic item are there if you check up and see. Water is H2O and there is 6 % H & O in the gas and in the right perportions. The % may very as to the Octane rating but still around 6 % .

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Make sure its PURE alcohol..and not the WATERED down stuff. I used to use methyl hydrate.

Got a carb rather than fuel injection ?..if so, dont for get to drain the crud out of the carb bowl

Reply to
Rudy

And you guys bought this? "There is 6 percent water, but it is not in the form of water but all the basic item are there." If it is not in the form of water, it isn't water, that's basic chemistry. Gasoline can have up to 500 different compounds in it; most of those compounds are composed of just H and C but some, but a very low proportion of those compounds, depending on the petroleum source, also have O, N, S or metals in their make up. I have no idea what the engineers were telling you guys but if your understanding is what they were saying, they must have been laughing their asses off.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon