Gasoline siphon

I shot some bastard in about 1972 that was siphoning gas on our farm.

Caught him in the act... he hightailed it away in a '50 chev...

I will shoot your ass again if catch you, so you better stay the f*ck away from here, unless you've changed yer ways.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

This is Turtle.

Are you sure you got water and how much.

A little water : Fill up and put 3 bottle of costal water remover from Auto zone and burn it out. If you ain't got no money. Get you 3 or 4 pints of rubbing alcohol and pour in it on a full tank.

A lot of water. Get you a cordless drill and a self starting metal roofing screw with the rubber gasket and washer. Drill a hole in the lowest part of the gas tank and drain till just gas comes out. just tighten up screw where the gasket and washer will cut the gas off from coming out. If you feel you will never need it again. Clean the screw area real good and cover the screw and area around it with J.B. Weld and it will seal it off for any gas leaking any more.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I got a load of bad gas in the truck. Only starts if I give it a squirt of ether. This is getting tired in a hurry.

I've tried the siphons with the squeeze bulb. Only barely acceptable. And I got on eof the Mr. Goodpump with the piston pump. Still only marginal.

Anyone out there tell me how to safely drain a couple galons of gas into a gascan. Then I can go buy some of a different brand of gas, and hope it mixes in.

That ether can routine is getting irritating.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Go get a clear 5/8" plastic hose. Put one end in the gas tank of your truck. Blow through the hose and keep pushing it into the tank until you hear bubbling and feel resistance. That means it is in the gas.

Now, get the other end as low as possible and suck on it steadily. When you see the gas approaching, take the hose out of your mouth and put it into the gas can.

If you are not quick, you may have to rinse your mouth out with a cold soda.

Now I KNOW that the old arts are being forgotten.

Reply to
Robert Allison

When I learned how to do that, clear hose was not available, just a red rubber hose into the tank of a '50 Chevy. You just guessed. Sometimes you guessed wrong. BLECH!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Heat in the red bottle, Isiprople alcohol absorbes the most water, twice as much as the yellow bottle Heat or straight denatured alcohol should make it burnable. It may take 6 bottles of heat. I used to live in Europe and brought over an American T Bird with a 390, Often I would pour in 2-3 literes of alcohol the gas was so crappy the car would hardly run. Alcohol absorbes water and allows it to burn in the alcohol, Easiest is to get it running with alcohol, run it down and put in better gas. I had a Clark gas station near me constantly selling bad gas, the service station across the street was draining alot of their customers tanks and the station was paying for it. The worst time to buy gas is the day before and day after the delivery truck comes, all the crap on the bottom is stirred up.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've got a nit pick. What is "costal water?" And a better solution. rubbing alcohol is commonly 70 percent so it has a lot of water. It would be ?possibly? cheaper and much better to use denatured alcohol from the paint store. Fresh, denatured alcohol will be somewhere between 100 and 95 percent alcohol. But you really only need a pint can of standard gas additive for just about any amount of water.

However, he said bad gas. Does that mean old gas? if so, then Stormin ought to drain the tank. He can do that several ways, but on a truck it would be about as easy to just pull the tank; I wouldn't put a hole in it. Or, he could disconnect the line at the gas filter and put 15 pounds or so pressure on the tank with a compressor. A hose in the tank with a sock wrapped around would be a good enough seal for 15 pounds. And I would wash the tank out with another 2-3 gallons of fresh gas.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Sometimes you

Or do it without sucking if there is enough gas in the tank. Push all the hose in (hoping the end stays under), put thumb over open end and pull hose out (hoping end stays under). Lower end and remove thumb. Works about 60% of time for me. I hate the tast of gas and you taste it for hours after sucking a mouthful.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Does it run fine, then it is not bad gas.

Reply to
m Ransley

Exactly what do you mean by "bad gas?"

Water, old, dirty moldy ????

The fix sort of depends on the problem. I suspect you are going to have a clogged filter as well.

Hint. Depending on your truck you may be able to access the tank via the opening for the fuel gauge. You also may need to drop the tank, no easy job with a full tank.

You may want to try

Be sure to include information about why you think the gas is bad and exactly what make model and year of truck. You are likely to get specific information for your truck.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Chris has, or had, an older model Dodge B-Van. Thing that kills me, when I read his original post was that IIRC on the era van hes got, it was before they went to the plastic tanks like on the 03s we run, and there is a drain on them just for getting water and such out.

On alot of the newer stuff, there is what is called a rollover valve in the line leading from the filler neck, to the tank, and thats as far as hes gonna get with the hose as normally when you go to fill,it will float up and out of the way, but a hose will do no such thing to it.

With his history, I am just curious how many of his customers, neighboors and such found out this morning they were a few gallons shy.

Reply to
webmaster

This is Turtle.

Coastal Water : The Green Water remover at Auto Zone that the locals use to get water out of the gas. The Locals call it Co Water .

Now to Plain 70% water Rubbing Alcohol as a water absorber. The rubbing Alcohol will Mix up a lot of water in the gas , if you have a lot gas in the tank. The rubbing Alcohol is not just to absorb the water but it is to make the water mix with the gas. Alcohol in a mix of gas and water is like putting soap in a mix oil and water which will make them mix and be one product.

Now using rubbing alcohol is the last resort when you don't have any money and everybody has a few bottles of rubbing alcohol laying around or get some at $.50 a bottle. If you have money go get two bottles of Coastal Water Remover at Auto Zone and fill the tank with gas then be done with it.

The 100% Denatured Alcohol is high as a cats back to use for water remover when Coastal water remover is $2.00 a bottle.

TURTLE

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
William Brown

More likely, either: a) fuel filter is plugged b) fuel pump is failing

Change the fuel filter first. On most cars, they're cheap - and unless you've recently changed it, it probably needs changing anyway.

If that doesn't fix the problem, disconnect the fuel line and measure the fuel pump pressure.

Doug Miller

Sorry, but that was not me as I was nowhere near your farm. Besides, you are a lousy shot and missed and buy cheap gas.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Coastal water I hear they drink it down south.

Adding alcohol does not degrade gas if it has water in it, it in fact increases octane and it is common in the midwest to be 10% alcohol from the pump. Pure alcohol can absorbe something like 10% water and not have a volume increase of the alcohol. Alcohol is harder to start on and less power , but absorbes water alowing it to be burned. For a car that nocks besause it needs higher octane you have 2 choises retard timing or add alcohol . But just hard starting could be 20 different car problems and not bad gas.

Reply to
m Ransley

Gasohol is better but doesn`t address people who leave their tanks always low so condensation develops or buying the bottom of a stations tank. Alcohol can only absorbe so much. Often problems are atibuted to a stations leaking tanks or no maintenance when water is detected. I don`t buy gas up to 1 day after the suplier arrives because the bottom crud is mixed up and has to settle. Most issues can be avoided filling the tank full instead of near empty and only adding 5$

Reply to
m Ransley

Aww....you're no fun anymore, Ed...

===

To answer Chris's question though...dont know how old his rig is so it may not be possible...depending...but what I usually do in these cases is I will use the rigs own fuel pump..as generally anymore there is an electric pump inside the gas tank....just disconnect the fuel line at the carb or fuel rail, drop it into a jug and turn on the ignition....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Ah, that explains it. We don't have an Auto Zone. I don't know what your costs are but isopropyl is about $1 per 16oz bottle (8 to the gallon) (and they are 30 percent water). The little 8 oz cans of gasline antifreeze (16 to the gallon) cost nearly $1. So I don't see that denatured alcohol at $9-10 a gallon is any more expensive. Anyway, ethyl alcohol (denatured) is fully miscible with water and fully miscible with gas. The point of the alcohol is to keep the water mixed and not let it separate. A quart of alcohol would probably be enough to get 2-3 quarts of water to mix fully with 10 gallons of gas. Two quarts of water in

10 gallons of gas would highly degrade the gas regardless of what you use to get it to mix. Best deal would be to eliminate (or trap) the water instead of mixing it with the gas. Anyway, something is seriously wrong if one has more than a couple of ounces in 20 gallons of gas.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Doesn't the use of Gashol that we have in many areas eliminate the need to add any additional gas treatment for water?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski