Gasoline prices have come down, but not motor oil prices.

Page 2 of 2
On 1/6/2016 4:29 PM, sms wrote:

Maybe slower to react. Turn-over not as fast. You just don't drop the price on the stuff on your shelf when new comes in, you'd lose money, I guess.
On 1/6/2016 4:58 PM, Frank wrote:

Though that's how gas prices do work. Wholesale prices go up and you raise prices on the stuff you already have in your tanks and make extra profit, wholesale prices fall and you reduce prices on the stuff you already have on your tank and make less profit. A friendly person at the refinery can give you advance notice of major price changes so you can play this to your advantage, with limited success.
On 1/8/2016 8:32 AM, sms wrote:

I was surprised how fast heating oil price came down. Will cut this winter's bill in half.
Seasonal item so inventories were probably not high which allowed this.

Most of that is just the hype that comes up around name brands. Yamalube is more like $8 a quart and you can get SN grade oil at the Rural King for $1.29. They make it sound like oil related failures even bump the needle on why someone gets rid of a car or an outboard. If you change it now and then and don't run out, Any API oil is as good as the next for all practical purposes.
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 10:48:51 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I was at the BMW dealer this week. Guy was buying BMW oil at the parts counter, $9.50 a quart. Mobil 1 at Costco, ~$5 works for me.

Propane should also come down.
Greg

It has come down when bought in bulk, but those 20lb cylinders (Exchange) have remained at the exact same price (when you bring an empty tank to exchange).
On 1/8/2016 1:44 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

And remember, those are 20lb cylinders, but a few years back the exchange companies started filling them to only 15 pounds. <http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31415330/ns/business-us_business/t/anger-fuels-suits-over-underfilled-propane-tanks/ Some Costco locations now fill propane tanks.

and they kick everybody else's butts on price - less than half most of their local compwetition.
On 01/08/2016 03:44 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:
[snip]

I've gotten some filled (not exchanged) last year. It cost about the same, but more propane. One cylinder actually had 20lb in it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I can take a 20lb tank to the company who fills my bulk tank and they will fill it with the ACTUAL AMOUNT of 20lb. But the price is th same as getting an exchange tank. While I'd prefer getting the whole 20lb, I have to spend an extra gallon of gasoline to go to their company, then I often have to wait as much as an hour for them to fill the tank, because the guys are making a delivery and the only people there are the women who work at the desks. One time they even told me to leave my tank and come back the next day. I refused and just went to get an exchange tank at a local convenience store. To me, it's not worth the hassle of getting them refilled at that place.
I wish there was a way I could fill them myself from my bulk tank, but it would probably require costly equipment, and might be dangerous, so I'll just do the exchanges and be done with it. I only use 4 or 5 of the 20lb tanks per year, so it's not a huge expense.

What's different about filling one of those than filling the old anhydrous ammonia applicators? Farmers did that own their own all the time years ago.

Ours already has. Was over $2 last spring, latest fill here was $1.59.
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 4:29:32 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

You're buying gasoline in bulk out of the underground tanks, while the oil has to be packaged in quart containers, which takes extra labor and materials, adding costs and hence price.
Long ago, I worked as a cost accountant for a company that made paint, among other things. I was very surprised when I learned that the cost of the can was more than the cost of producing the paint inside of it.
They used to sell oil in five-quart containers, which was enough for most oil changes, and it was cheaper per quart than buying five quart cans.
Paul

Went to the place that sold it and they asked me if I had a can and I said no. The can was either the same as a gallon of fluid or about 50 cents more as the whole thing was less than $ 5 at the time.
Take a look at the 5 gallon gas containers now. While they can be reused many times, they are more than the gas that goes in them now.
On 1/8/2016 1:27 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

Paint is an extremely high margin product.

They still do sell it in five quart containers. Walmart has it. It's cheaper than buying five one quart bottles at Walmart, but more than buying five one quart bottles at Costco.
On 01/10/2016 01:15 PM, sms wrote:

To say nothing of a five quart container being a pain in the butt when your car takes a little less than four quarts... I just buy a case at Costco when it's on sale.
On 1/8/2016 1:27 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

True, but the cost of those quart bottles of motor oil has increased significantly, with the justification being the higher cost of the raw material. Not that long ago, a quart of oil was about $1.00 to $1.25 when bought in a case of 12, on sale. Now it's about $2.25.