Gasoline no longer evaporates

I occasionally use gasoline to clean bearings. I am left with very dirty gasoline. Years ago I would leave the small can outdoors, and the gasoline would evaportae, the dirty can would get put in the trash.....

Now the gasoline doesnt evaportate, it just sits in the can as a dirty slurry.

I guess its the reformulated gas?

Reply to
bob haller

Does here when I do that; just brushed the dry leavings out of the can this afternoon before a new job...

Don't think so; ethanol is higher vapor pressure than gasoline.

--

Reply to
dpb

Hi, Ethanol blended.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I just dump old gas on the driveway on a sunny dry day. It evaporates very quickly that way.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Going to add...

I expect the biggest problem is how much and what kind of grease you're contaminating the gasoline with. New lithium and other high performance greases are much different than those of years ago.

Since this is working farm, I do this quite regularly (like as almost daily during field season as there's _always_ something that needs work it seems). I will let the can/pan set w/ a cover until evening cleanup time and then decant the clean off the top back into a closed container for reuse as long as possible. The remaining sludge goes into the reclaim oil barrel and the wash can/pan is then left upside down to drain. By next use time, all there is left is a dust that is easily brushed out.

If you're leaving a significant amount to just evaporate, that's not surprising it takes quite a long time and that's really not a good idea; at least minimize the volatiles released by using a closed container and if you don't have suitable storage area (where you store fresh gas ought to be no worse than that is, anyway) until you can take it to the local hazardous waste location nearest you. As much as I use, I dispose of very little actual liquid other than by recycle or thru the waste oil heaters (where the above little bit of sludge ends up; a couple of pints in a 55 gal drum isn't an explosion hazard).

--

Reply to
dpb

On 4/13/2011 5:12 PM G. Morgan spake thus:

OK if it's *your* driveway, I guess.

Reminds me of how years ago when I was a kid and rebuilding my first VW engine, how I picked up some parts from an aftermarket shop, and somehow managed to spill some gas on their blacktop parking lot.

I didn't think much of it, but I got a pissed-off phone call from them later, and had to go back there and clean up their asphalt. So you might want to be careful with that stuff; it dissolves tar really well.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I unknowingly spilt a gallon of diesel fuel at work on black top. Didnt realize I did it for two weeks. The asphalt driveway crumpled.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

throw it in the street on a hot day. It'll evaporate.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Gasoline is a varying mixture. They've always adjusted the mixture in summer so you won't get vapor lock and in winter so your car will start. Nowadays, reformulation means legal restrictions on volatility to reduce pollution.

Reply to
J Burns

Fill a coffee with cat litter. Dump the gas in and light. I use this method at the end of the seasons to dispose of my winter gas for the snowblower.

Reply to
Joe J

why waste the cat litter?

Reply to