Gasoline in Home Heating Oil - Bad?

Page 1 of 2

OK...this may sound weird, but I had a dream last night...
A friend pulled up at my house with his pickup truck towing a tank of home heating oil. He said he needed some gas for his pickup. I went into the backyard and grabbed the gas can I use for my lawn mower and brought it up front. Instead of pouring the gas into his truck, I poured about a gallon into the oil tank.
It wasn't my fault, the cap on the oil tank was open.
2 questions:
1 - How bad would it be to have a gallon of gas mixed with, I don't know, let's say 100 gallons of home heating oil?
2 - What does this dream mean?

1. Leave the cap off for a few days and most of it will evaporate. 2. You need to get a hobby or something. haha
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:35:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Doubtful at 100:1 ratio that anything would occur. Gasoline burns hotter and thins the fuel oil so it would have less lubricity but again at that ratio the gas would be heavily diluted.

You have a death wish?

I don't know how bad that would be but It would still make me uncomfortable.
Many years ago my father-in-law bought one of those Olds 98 diesel cars they were making in the late 1970's. After he drove the hell out of it and replaced the engine a couple of times, we bought it from him and drove it a couple of years. During the winter when it was real cold, we had a lot of trouble getting it to start and stay running because the cold diesel fuel would be so thick. I remember we would put something in the fuel to thin it out but I don't remember what. I think it was kerosene tho not gasoline.

You have gas.
Yes, kerosene is popular with long haul drivers, it helps prevent jelling. So, the government dyes kerosene red, and fines the drivers if caught. Trust the government to outlaw and fine something that works.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm certain that you understand why red dye kerosene and red dye heating oil is dyed red, and it has nothing to do with whether or not "it works."
You can certainly buy non red-dye kerosene, but you have to pay motor fuel taxes on it.

Right. I have a kerosene heater I use sometimes and the fuel I buy for it is not red. But it is expensive.
On Jan 25, 5:11pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Yes. And "Jelling" is the word I was trying to remember.

hibb wrote:

You mean gelling, from "to gel", not a derivative of "Jello" (which is a brand name).
Jon
I'm glat there is a spell Czech person out their. It wood be boring on the Usened if we all ignoard spelling airs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Mormons are conservative, are they not? I mean, you don't drink anything good or fun for crying out loud. That's pretty danged conservative... Then again that whole multiple-wives thing some Mormons do is pretty liberal...
Being conservative, I would expect you to have a similar attitude about poor spelling and grammar. After all, everyone in America should speak English, right? If they should speak it, they should speak it correctly. If they speak it correctly they should also write it correctly.
Spelling and grammar errors show a lack of personal responsibility. Personal responsibility is one of the cornerstones of conservatism.
Oh, but I forgot. Conservatives are only conservative until it affects them. If their kid ends up going through a windshield because they weren't wearing a seatbelt, then "There Oughtta Be A Law Against That (tm)." If they're called on to be responsible for themselves, they're the first to cry "It's Someone Else's Fault(tm)."
Scream bloody murder when a black guy says "aks" instead of "ask," or a Hispanic speaks spanish to his kid in public, but cry foul when their poor spelling skills are mentioned. True American Conservatism.
Mormons are conservative, are they not? I mean, you don't drink anything good or fun for crying out loud. That's pretty danged conservative...
CY: The church does't have any official political position. I've met both conservatives and liberals at church. Most of the LDS folks I know are constitutionalists. We liked the USA a bit better, a few generations ago.
Then again that whole multiple-wives thing some Mormons do is pretty liberal...
CY: Well, that was 100 years ago.
Being conservative, I would expect you to have a similar attitude about poor spelling and grammar. After all, everyone in America should speak English, right? If they should speak it, they should speak it correctly. If they speak it correctly they should also write it correctly.
CY: I don't know many Americans who speak English. Certainly, if you bring over an English gentleman, you'd be told that you and I are not speaking English.
Spelling and grammar errors show a lack of personal responsibility. Personal responsibility is one of the cornerstones of conservatism.
CY: Never looked at it that way.
Oh, but I forgot. Conservatives are only conservative until it affects them. If their kid ends up going through a windshield because they weren't wearing a seatbelt, then "There Oughtta Be A Law Against That (tm)." If they're called on to be responsible for themselves, they're the first to cry "It's Someone Else's Fault(tm)."
CY: I can't agree with that.
Scream bloody murder when a black guy says "aks" instead of "ask," or a Hispanic speaks spanish to his kid in public, but cry foul when their poor spelling skills are mentioned. True American Conservatism.
CY: I'm not sure who you are referencing.

I knew a guy when I was up in the frozen north who put a squirt of gasoline in his diesel car in the winter so it would start. It never blew up.
On Jan 25, 10:45pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

When I was *way* up in the frozen north - Port Clarence, AK - we either left the diesels running or plugged in the block heater.

When I put gasoline in my sister's Peugeot (Holland) it ran fine but only for a short while. Then it stopped. I could coast into a gas station, call the ANWB (Dutch AAA), and the guy came, pumped out the gas, filled it with diesel, towed the car until I got it sputtering and going, then drove it about 30 miles to join the funeral procession of my Dad's. Afterward my suster said the car never ran so well.
Oh yes, I had to pick up my daughter from Schiphol and did my sister the favor of filling up the car.
--
Best regards
Han
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Seems like it would settle out at the bottom and blow up your motor or float to the top and blow you up. I forget which is heavier.

I believe they will mix. As part of a fire saftey demo I saw this while I was in the military. A guy threw a match in gasoline and it went out. He troughs a match in diesel and it goes out. He throws a match in a mixture of the two and it goes boom. The explanation is that the air fuel mixture for gas is too rich to explode for diesel too lean. Together they form the goldie locks mixture. just right to go boom. We got this lesson because in the military we used multi=fuel trucks. Although they will run off of gas or diesel you shouldnt mix the two.
Jimmie

It means you have really boring dreams.............
DerbyDad03 wrote:

you'd actually never know the difference. I used to put about five (5) gallons of gasoline in a thirty (30) tank on a torpedo heater then fill it with diesel fuel. (what it was supposed to run on). I called it my hot mix. Worked great heating our shop.